If you had access to a CNC machine, would you be able to customize gear ratio

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by JerseyBrian, Apr 9, 2008.

1. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I'm wondering if it would be possible to machine a new gear off a CNC machine to change the gear ratio of a spinning reel. Sounds like a fun project :) ...if it's even possible :p Does anyone have any idea which gear(s) or even what would have to be machined?

Thanks!

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

That might be a bit tougher than you could imagine, the spinning reel gears are very simular to the ring/pinion in a rear axle, and griding the right size gear teeth and making them synch would be very cumbersome, but possible, im sure you would have about 10x the cost of the reel in a set of gears once you got it right.

3. JerseyBrian

That might be a bit tougher than you could imagine, the spinning reel gears are very simular to the ring/pinion in a rear axle, and griding the right size gear teeth and making them synch would be very cumbersome, but possible, im sure you would have about 10x the cost of the reel in a set of gears once you got it right.
    A few friends of mine are machinists and wouldn't mind trying to create something of interest for me rather than sitting around the shop and doing nothing :eek: The gear isn't that big either so material costs wouldn't even be a factor for them. They would use the larger chunks of material that have already been scrapped. What would be the optimal metal? 316 SS? Anodizes aluminum? <--I fear that would break easily... It would probably be best if I sent them my entire reel too..

4. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

what ratio would you be looking for?

5. JerseyBrian

Something higher than 4.9:1 :) If I could possibly increase the gear ratio anywhere from 5.7:1 to 6.2:1....I'd be peachie :D

6. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I would worry about cranking power at that point though.

7. JerseyBrian

I would worry about cranking power at that point though.

What do you mean? Isn't my arm the cranking power?

Are or you talking about the gears it takes to crank the handle or something? I honestly don't know the internals of a spinning reel too much so I can't visualize what is involved in the cranking and gearing of a spinning reel. :eek:

8. alantani

alantani Senior Member

the center point of the main gear from the center point of the pinion gear would have to be the same. you would simply be changing the outer diameters of the main and pinion gears to maintain that same distance between center points of both gears. then you would have to find the proper gear tooth size to match both gears. i believe there are computer programs that will do this for you.

it's all done by computer now. alan

9. JerseyBrian

the center point of the main gear from the center point of the pinion gear would have to be the same. you would simply be changing the outer diameters of the main and pinion gears to maintain that same distance between center points of both gears. then you would have to find the proper gear tooth size to match both gears. i believe there are computer programs that will do this for you.

it's all done by computer now. alan
    Exactly the post I was waiting for! Thanks Alan! I'm going to go and mess with some of my older, junk reels tonight and take a better look at things

10. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Which spinning reel?

Fred

11. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Exactly the post I was waiting for! Thanks Alan! I'm going to go and mess with some of my older, junk reels tonight and take a better look at things

If your friends have some scrap aluminum have them make you a set out of it first to see if it will work. The program can be saved. AL machines faster and has less wear and tear on the equipment. If it works have them make them out of SS. 316 would work but you would need to heat treat it before machining. Of course your buddies should already know that. If you heat treat after machining you could possibly warp the gears.

d-a

12. JerseyBrian

If your friends have some scrap aluminum have them make you a set out of it first to see if it will work. The program can be saved. AL machines faster and has less wear and tear on the equipment. If it works have them make them out of SS. 316 would work but you would need to heat treat it before machining. Of course your buddies should already know that. If you heat treat after machining you could possibly warp the gears.

d-a

Always appreciate good info d-a. That is a very good idea (to use Al. first when doing R&D) as well as the heat treating. I will keep that in mind.

Which spinning reel?

Fred
    Anything with line capacity and size like a Quantum Cabo/Boca "70/80" series, Saragosa "14000/180000" series or TICA "10000" series reel... What I would basically like to attempt is to create a high gear ratio'ed, large spinning reel like the Stella 10000 or other Daiwa spinners....and not having to buy an Okuma VS :p Either way, if I did follow through with this project I would create a gear set that could be swapped in and out with the stock gear ratio so that I could always reverse my actions :D Plus, if it's for free, I might as well test my mechanical engineering friends (the machinists) and see if they've earned their undergrad degrees or not lol.

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I really wish you had come to me for advice before consulting with Alan on this. Just last night I got our manual can opener to work for the first time since we bought it--one minute, there was a fully-sealed can of Progresso chicken with rice soup on the counter--the next minute, there was the can with the top off and old Uncle Russ eating out of the can with a table spoon. Let me know if you need any help setting the machine up.

Russ

14. gman

gman Senior Member

I have a granite and marble CNC's ha ha I dont think they would work on a reel though

15. bunile

bunile Senior Member

ANYTHING IS possible. Think about making the spool bigger instead or combined with a gear increase , as that would also increase your line -in-per crank. That might be less engineering and more fanagling with the thingy ma jingy !!

16. gmack

gmack Senior Member

17-4PH material would be good material to use for the gears. After machine get it heat treated and then nitride coated. That would be the ticket!

You could always spend some big bucks and look into some nickel alloys.....925 inconel for instance. Ultra corrosion resistance.

Gary

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

17-4PH material would be good material to use for the gears. After machine get it heat treated and then nitride coated. That would be the ticket!

You could always spend some big bucks and look into some nickel alloys.....925 inconel for instance. Ultra corrosion resistance.

Gary

I would heat treat them before machining, just to make sure they dont warp during the heat treatment process.

d-a