360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could have any rod and reel combo what would it be and why? How about 1 spinning reel and 1 conventional reel, both for tuna. Matched with what rods?

G

·
for northern bluefin and cow yellowfin, JM 500 and a B2-30 or alutecnos gorilla 12.

for gulf/canyon yellowfin ill take the JM 350 or 400g and a OJ 4000P or a saltiga 40 with a JM handle.

·
5,457 Posts
New OTI 400g rod matched with a OJ 5000 and same rod for a Stella 20000.

d-a

·
1,553 Posts
daiwa expedition rod/ expedition reel. my fav. if i could find more of those rods, i would buy a few of them.

dont use conventionals so no input there. ocea jigger would be the reel though. power houses!

·
5,457 Posts
No they are just teasing you alittle.

Dont you have one already?:D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

d-a

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I refuse to participate because I cannot have just one:D

but I will say there's a few more rigs in my future:
JM powerspell 150g conv./ Accurate 270-1, 6:1, JM handle
JM powerspell 500g conv./ Accurate 870-2, JM handle
Zenaq FC83-5 spinner, custom/ Stella 20K

the future is a really long time, right?:rolleyes:

·
1,321 Posts
Just one for all purposes? My accurate 665W and one of them fancy rods you guys always talk about. Mine is currently on an Ugly Stik.:)

·
1,086 Posts
I want the new 14.5' OTI proto type popping rod that I heard is being tested.
Put that with the new 2 speed Stella 20000 ASS for 2010. Then I will need only one rig.;)

Kev

G

·
damn fishead56 you sure can't keep a secret. as he said it will be released on april1. it will be the new rod for the future. it is called the extend-a-stick. you can make it as long as you want. it has a 2 1/2ft butt section and you buy the rest in sections that are 1 ft long and add the top tip section to complete the length you want. by the way does anyone want to purchase some oceanfront property? i have an abundance of oceanfront lots for sale right here in oklahoma.....rick

G

·
now back to the question
studio mark blue heaven reel on a 600gram ocean tackle international rod. very light combo.can jig all night with this setup. rod has plenty of backbone for applying pressure and reel has more drag than i can handle. plus the reel is fairly narrow so the line is easier to lay back on the reel evenly.

stella 8000 on a ocean tackle international 50lb 8 1/2ft tuna sniper. thowing poppers is hard work for this old man so again weight is a factor and this combo is considerably lighter than the stella 20000 on the same rod. the stella 8000 has plenty of drag and the only issue i might have is line capacity should i hook a really big fish. with the 8 1/2 ft rod and 60lb spectre my poppers are going a long way and that usually equates to more strikes when fishing party boats for tuna.

these rigs would be for gulf tuna as we don't see many fish over 200lbs.....rick

·
2,835 Posts
Conventional: I own a bunch of conventional jigging reels. My favorite is
still the Torsa 30. I like rods with meat. I prefer the OTI 600
and the JM 500 powerspell.

Spinning: If I could only choose one it would be the OTI Tuna Sniper
60-80 with a Stella SW20K. I've caught over 50 fish so far
with this setup. Weight is not an issue to me. The day I worry
the weight of a rod or reel, I'll give it up and take on another
hobby.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts