Ideal lbs of Resistance for Spooling Braid

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by shooter75, Mar 13, 2009.

1. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is an ideal pound of resistance when spooling braid on a spinning reel. Ill be spooling a Saragosa 18000F with 80lb JB Solid.

Thanks
    Eric

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

As much as you can handle is a good way of doing it, basically your physical limitation is what I would work with when manually spooling braid on a reel. Have a friend hold the spool down for you while you do this.

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Spool your line into big lever drag reel, using drag scale set your lever drag reel to 10lb at strike.

Spool all the line back to your new reel, be sure to have beer or an ice tea near by, you will need it LOL.

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Here is the way I have been doing it...

Let ( and ) be a piece of card board. [] be the spool of braid. l is a big washer.

I take a bolt about the diameter of the opening in the spool of braid. I'll set it up in this squence and bolt it through the hole in the back top corner of my truck bed that is used as a tie down point.

([]) then put it against the hole in the truck bed and run the bolt through. Put the washer on the other side of the hole(must be a big washer so it does not come back through the hole) then a nut. Tighten it down to about 10-15 lbs of drag using a scale. Run it through your guides and onto your reel and start cranking. This is the best homoe method I have found that can be utilized by yourself. My nieghbors always think I am nuts when I am out in the driveway trying to reel in my truck....:)
    The cardboard does really well in lett the spool spin smoothly.

5. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Thanks everyone for the input. Now Im going to have to flip a coin and see whether to buy a junk conventional reel or drill a hole in my truck!!!!! :D LOL!! Thanks again everyone!

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

we just put a dowel through the spool, have someone put gloves on and have them put the proper pressure on the spool. pretty simple, has worked everytime.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

we just put a dowel through the spool, have someone put gloves on and have them put the proper pressure on the spool. pretty simple, has worked everytime.

same here but I wet the spool first

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

screwdriver and feet method for me. lol. not the easiest way to do it but works for me. i also use the buddy method if available.

9. jb2c

jb2c Guest

I've always heard at least 15% of line strength. The higher the line rating, the higher the drag you're likely to run on it. So with more drag, it needs to be packed on more tightly.

JB

10. Memo

Memo Senior Member

I tasted the bitter juice of lever drag setup yesterday! I never knew I could sweat and drink so much! hahahhaha

Spool your line into big lever drag reel, using drag scale set your lever drag reel to 10lb at strike.

Spool all the line back to your new reel, be sure to have beer or an ice tea near by, you will need it LOL.

11. IgotSnagged

IgotSnagged Banned

screwdriver and feet method for me. lol. not the easiest way to do it but works for me. i also use the buddy method if available.

hahaha, that's exatcly what I do!! lol. "My buddy" is usually my wife, but she gets pretty cranky after about 200yds of line. I spooled my 20k stella with about 400yds of PE6, and about halfway into it, she didn't want to help anymore..... so I had to breakout my OOOLD SCHOOL, MONSTER "Pencil Break" Pencil! You guys remember pencil break?? .... hahaha I still have my undefeated pencil from 1988! It is now my spool holder!:eek: :D

12. mythosbeer

mythosbeer Senior Member

Works like a charm...beer or tea is good for this as well. Also a thick pair of large socks will help. I hold the pencil through my toes and add pressure to the spool. It can burn some skin if you don't have thick socks on. :D

13. jclarksnakes

jclarksnakes Senior Member

same here but I wet the spool first

Thanks for coming out so quick officer. I was sitting here on the porch minding my own business and I see my neighbor Mr Tran peeing on a spool of fishing line. I want to file indecent exposure charges.