Ice on a 3 day trip

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Grescobia, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

Heard a few comments from some of the anglers on the june bigE trip that they were just about out of iceand most of the coolers were just about cool water. Will this be a problem fo a 76 hour trip?

2. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

From my experience, you can do pretty well for up to 5 days if you have 1. One of the new super coolers and 2. it's kept in the shade. Block ice also keeps much longer than crushed--and if you don't have to keep fish on it, it should be fine for drinks, water, and food.

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

freeze your bottle water will reduce your need for ice.

4. awesum

awesum Senior Member

The ice chest I take on board with me for food and drinks is one of those on wheels (60 qt I think) that is supposed to keep ice for 5 days ...:D

On TBB07 last September I still had lots of ice arriving at the docks and may have had more if I hadn't handed out ice to some that were out. I stopped at Bucee's and filled it to the brim just before heading to the boat. But this time I will have more food and drink and less ice so I'm not counting on having ice left at the end of this trip.

The only tips I can offer ...... be sure your drinks are cold before putting ice in as warm or unchilled drinks will melt the ice mucho pucho.. It may help to freeze some of your drinking water bottles in advance.

5. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

Good basic advice. Start your chest 2 -3 days ahead, ice down drinks, water, etc. Drain most of the water 1 day out, refill with ice and if you have a quality cooler, should not have a problem keeping ice for 3 days.

freeze your bottle water will reduce your need for ice.

6. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

My specialty is ice. I am the master of ice. You cannot have enough ice. I repeat. You cannot have enough ice. Ice is more important to me than any other item you take on a boat. It keeps your beverages cold, food chilled, preserves your catch, and is a necessity for mixing a cocktail after a hard day on the water.

The rocking motion of a boat combined with the outside heat and sunlight is a sure ice melter. The motion of the boat kills the size of ice cubes more than heat.

There is not a cooler on earth that can hold ice for three days on a boat in the month of July that is placed on the exterior of the boat. (crushed ice)

If you are an igloo fan, the marine grade coolers will outlast the so called
    "5 Day Coolers". Expect 30 hours with those coolers. The marine grade igloos will yield you almost 40 hours.

The best portable cooler I have seen is the Icey Tek. They are now marketed under the name of Yeti. Expect 50 hours of decent ice with one of these coolers. Another excellent cooler is the Downunder five star marine cooler. I believe Dennis Braid bought them out. They claim it is a 10 day cooler. Forget all those days they all claim. I rate coolers in the real world of heat and motion. You might get three full days with an Icey Tek or 5 star downunder of usable ice.

There has been some good points listed above. (pre chill everything, frozen water, block ice) Block ice is a must for a three day trip. If at all possible, keep at least 500 pounds of block ice stored inside the AC cabin. An ice pick makes the best drink ice. Be careful of Styrofoam cups as the picked ice has very sharp edges. Styrofoam cups is almost as important as ice. You cannot have enough on board.

The ideal thing is a commercial grade ice maker on board that can produce about 200 pounds per day. That ice maker combined with a few tons of loaded ice should keep your mind at ease offshore for three days. Just remember , when the ice is running low, it's time to head to port.

7. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

It's gonna be July. We have already had nearly 3 wks of 90+ degree highs; and there's no help in sight. So, where can you buy dry ice near the dock? I'm used to seeing it at HEB foodstores, among other places.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i was fine. i bought one bag. if i brought a nice cooler if buy a few. just buy microwave meals, youll be fine. if you want great meals then go for it. we got 2 platters of sashimi saturday night and it was wonderful. i probably ate a pound.

kil brought banana juice but i still got my limit thankfully ;)

9. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Frigid-Rigid. Anything else is a very VERY distant second place. I've owned Icey-Tek's, Engle's/Ultra-Cool's, etc. If keeping ice for as long as possible matters, get a Frigid-Rigid. None of the others really even compare.

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

If you are really worried use dry ice in one of those fancy coolers.

11. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

This will be the hottest trip of the year. Follow minnows advice, freeze 2/3 of bottled water.
    Listen to Gunsmoke, coolers are kept on upper deck, maximum boat movement. bring extra cooler with block ice and pick. there is plenty of room for coolers in shade on upper deck. don't forget the sombrero and sunblock.

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I always wondered how much the wind melts the ice. When the Big E is moving, I would think it would force air through the unsealed seems fo a cooler and thus keep replacing the cold air inside the cooler. What do you think? It may help to have some form of insulating material sit on top of everything in the cooler or to somehow cover the seems with something to prevent the wind from blowing in.

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Frigid-Rigid. Anything else is a very VERY distant second place. I've owned Icey-Tek's, Engle's/Ultra-Cool's, etc. If keeping ice for as long as possible matters, get a Frigid-Rigid. None of the others really even compare.

Believe it or not, I collect coolers. I have a lot of them. I'm guessing I have around 25 that are 105QT or larger. I'm more into packing up large amounts of ice for an outing. (Space permitting). I have never run out of ice, but have come close due to other people stealing my precious ice. :mad:

It's very common for me to not leave for a weekend with at least 400 pounds of ice. I drain the coolers every 8 hours or so if they are left in the truck. All that melted cold water will shrink your ice while driving around.

There is no way a standard Igloo will make it through this 76hour trip in July. Since you are limited to one cooler, I would would buy one of the Frigid Rigids.
    I don't own one yet, but after looking up some info, they are the best. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. If I were to make this 76 hour trip, I guarantee a Frigid Rigid in the 150QT range will accompany me.

Like GS, I need my ice. He's got a one ton machine. I only have a 600 lb machine. One thing we never ague about is having enough ice. It's really comes down to "where do we put it".

Here's some data on the Frigid Rigids comparing it to other coolers. Looks like I'm ordering a few today.

Frigid Rigid

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

This is really some great information--I had never considered boat motion as a significant factor. I couldn't agree more on the importance of ice. I did get sticker shock at the price of the frigid rigid, but as somebody pointed out, you get what you pay for. I'm thinking a Yeti 120 at this point as the best compromise for a head boat 3-day trip. I'll be buying new ice for the fish anyway on the trip home, which is the only critical thing, and it should keep my food and drinks cool enough for a 3-day trip. And what the hell, if I lose a dozen banannas or so, what difference will it make? :)

Russ

15. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

If you are really worried use dry ice in one of those fancy coolers.

or, get an Igloo and with the money you save not buying a Frigid-Rigid or a Yeti, buy 100 lbs of dry ice and junk your Igloo after the trip.

16. ALW

ALW Senior Member

I fish the Big E about every two to three months. If you freeze your water and have some block ice, no problem with Igloo or one of those 5 day coolers which I use. After that its just a game of who has the highest dollar equipment. The guys who filled the coolers with stuff to the point no room for ice are the ones that had problems.

17. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

. . . Here's some data on the Frigid Rigids comparing it to other coolers. Looks like I'm ordering a few today.

Frigid Rigid

Thanks for the info. Apart from the fashion statement the F-R's and Yeti's make, it looks like the F-R and Yeti advantages would be more important where the need for ice GROWS over time (e.g., keeping more and more fish cold) rather where it FALLS over time (e.g., keeping less and less food just cold enough not to spoil before being cooked or eaten and keeping fewer drinks cold enough to be refreshing).

To meet a seasonal, brief and declining need for cooling, a little more ice or dry ice and better box mgt (pre-cool, frozen water bottles, shade, 2 boxes, don't drain) might save $250-$500/box. That's more'n half the price of another samurai-gear popping rod--now that's really cool.

18. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I've never fished in Texas but South Florida in the Summer isn't exactly cold. I kept a 60qt Frigid-Rigid cooler on my boat under the leaning post that I would fill 1/3 full of crushed ice ONCE A WEEK. The drain plug was never installed and that really helped reduce melt (a little trick the guys in Belize taught me - chuck the drain plug when you buy it!).

During Hurricane Francis in '04, we lost power but I'd thought to put food and ice in the Frigid-Rigid before the storm hit. There was ice 3" deep in that cooler 14 days later in spite of opening the cooler multiple times each day.

Coolers are much like reels, rods, etc. Buy cheap and buy often, or buy once and be done.

19. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Now for the traveling fly in angler on the Big E....
    I buy the cheaper coolers because of the weight. I buy the cooler after flying in and use it for fish on the flight back. 50qt is maximum for check in.
    Probably have to go with dry ice or at least block ice which keeps better.

Hopefully, the Nov trip will have food provided. :) :) :)

Last yr when I checked, Baywood foods had dry ice for $2 per lb. Their phone # is 979-239-1307

20. ALW

ALW Senior Member

Just talked to the folks at Underwater Exp. They are aware that extra ice is needed for the coolers on the trip and will have it. About a mile from the dock is Buckey's 20lb ice $1. I usually top off there. On the way out and on the way in. Last trip I noticed many brought food in microwaveable containers that dosn't require being kept cold. There is always a chance of Unckle Russ's ribeye if they don't keep an eye on the grill.

Only 28 on the trip as of yesterday afternoon.

Who is bringing those Frigid R coolers? Why would they even set foot on a party boat.

21. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

ALW: Now somebody's using the old bean--scarfing up ice from probably the only folks in the gulf with more ice-making capacity than Gunsmoke.

I'm a little unclear--and I'm too lazy to go back and read the entire thread--but I had somebody ask me today if there were still room on the boat. Is the trip limited to 30 or would they fill it to capacity if possible?

I like the idea of microwaveable meals--I'm thinking of putting a yellowfin steak in that sucker covered with some canned mushroom soup and baking it for, oh, say 30 minutes on high. Whaddaya think?

Russ