ICAST in 2009

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 17, 2009.

1. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

It was really nice to finally meet you yesterday Mr. Kilsong.

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It was really nice to finally meet you yesterday Mr. Kilsong.
    It was nice to see you. I finally met you in person. :) I was checking whether new Penn Torque reels fit to a popping rod reel seat when you and Sami were passing by.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It was nice to see Ocean Revolution of Anglers Proshop out of NY and OTI out of Texas doing great at the show.

I still didn't see many jigging and popping stuff there. It could be changed in the near future.

I dropped by Angler Proshop booth and met my buddies, Paul and Sami. I finally could see all new Ocean Revolution products together. They are great. I orderd some of them for my shop before they are gone as I like the action of the rods. They are very light and looks powerful.

[​IMG]

OTI guys were doing good as well. Good to see TJ, Rue, Rick and Bret there. They knew I was coming and saved a few can of beer for me. :) I saw a couple of new poppers there. TJ said the big popper called Dragon will have huge Owner ST76. 8*
    The other small popper looks nice and I thought it is a good lure for bluefin in Cape Cod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Those new OTI Lures look awesome! I really want to try that OTI popper with the jet holes in it as when TJ showed me the prototype, it looked really good. That stickbait looks like a real winner as well!

5. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

love the sea dragon

6. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

the lazy man's popping ways!!! just let the boat pull in when repositioning and whamo!

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I was checking whether new Penn Torque reels fit to a popping rod reel seat .

I know it's hard to tell about gear by just handling it without fishing it. How did the new Penn torque spinning reel feel to you? Also did you handle the new Shimano Talica 2-speed reels?

I had planned on going to ICAST a couple of months back, but I realized that Orlando isn't on the water.:mad: I wanted to combine new product viewing with fishing in a three day window.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I know it's hard to tell about gear by just handling it without fishing it. How did the new Penn torque spinning reel feel to you? Also did you handle the new Shimano Talica 2-speed reels?

I had planned on going to ICAST a couple of months back, but I realized that Orlando isn't on the water.:mad: I wanted to combine new product viewing with fishing in a three day window.

I am hesitating to post review of any products just by feeling as it might hurt their sales because of my subjective feeling, but my feeling was not great. :)

I expected Penn could introduce high quality spinning reels to compete with Stella or Saltiga, but I doubt it after I saw them.

new Daiwa Saltist. I am wondering whether these reel can compete with Stella Saragosa.

[​IMG]

This in not definitely high-end product
    [​IMG]

Penn Torque reels. The reel seats fit to regular Japanese style popping rod. ;0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Owner displayed big treble hook cover and the hook cover will be available in the US soon.
    I asked President of Owner American Corp why we can not buy ST76 in the US and he said it was becasue there is not much demand, but we might see them soon as he made a note. :)
    [​IMG]

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I spent some time with Cortland rep to discuss about possibility of color coded hollw/solid braided line.
    He said all Corland hollow lines are 12 - 16 stranded line and the breaking point is way above listed line rating.
    The lines are very rounded and soft when I touched them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Many fishermen use carbon drag washers for their reels.
    I think it saves lots of money and get the right size washers for any reel by buying carbontex sheet.

[​IMG]

12. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I spent some time with Cortland rep to discuss about possibility of color coded hollw/solid braided line.
    He said all Corland hollow lines are 12 - 16 stranded line and the breaking point is way above listed line rating.
    The lines are very rounded and soft when I touched them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is that 16 strand braid? Cortland makes the momoi blue braid used by panama sport fishing lodge when they targeted marlin on OTI rods & spinners... :cool:

13. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Kil, who sells the carbontex sheets?

That weaving machine is awesome and really explains why braided hollow is so expensive. They had that machine on display at the Fred Hall Show in March.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

ALPS reel seat

ALP shows some nice and light reel seats which is suitable for jiggin

g and popping rods.

light aluminum trigger reel seat by ALPS.
    [​IMG]

rod component by American

Guides are some what different from Fuji or other manufacturers, but they look very nice and durable.
    [​IMG]

Jig/popper decorationg material

Quality is excellent and they have many choices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pliers from Centro.
    They aluminum plier is very light and look great with retail value of under $100,
    They also showed Stainless Steel Swievel which is rust-free.
    [​IMG]

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

thanks for the pics kil.
    many wouldnt put the time in to show everyone else what was at the show

16. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Great pics, and that ALPS reel seat is sweet !!!

TJ,

When can we expect to see the new lures ?

17. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

Sorry to see it doesn't look the Penn reels will stand up to the Stella/Saltiga. They looked a lot better in that blurb that has been floating around the internet. I guess we will see how they fish, I had high hopes for them. :(

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

When I tried Tiburon reels for jigging years ago, I didn't like beefy handle. It might be good for bait fishing, but it was not convenient for jigging at all.
    I see big improvement of handle design with angle as it is much comfortable to turn the handle now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I was surprised to see Ocean Mark products at the show.
    We know Ocean Mark is the company which makes Blue Heaven jigging reels, but the company was famous for making after market parts of reels even before they developed Blue Heaven reels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The young president of the company came from Japan just for the show and I had an opportunity to ask some questions about reels.

I asked which reel he prefer between Shimano's Stella and Daiwa's Saltiga and his answer was Daiwa's Saltiga. I found many Japanese fishermen prefer Saltiga to Stella.

When I asked again how he think about Satiga's hesitation problem of initial drag, he showed his Saltiga. The Saltiga had Ocean Mark's custom handle and custom spool. He explained that the hesitation problem doesn't exist with Ocean Mark's custom spool and its drag washer material. It seems he knows the problem which Daiwa can not solve.

[​IMG]

Then, he showed Stell reel with Ocean Mark's custom handle and spool.
    The custom spool is not completely round and he explained the special shape of spool reduce wind knot problems and cast better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The item which got my attention was small split ring plier. The plier is still in testing stage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]