I think my trip is over

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by moonsoft, Jan 22, 2009.

1. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

Well getting all fired up for my first tuna trip, and was spooling my (magibraid spectra) and i'm about 1/2 way through a 300 yd spool of 80lb and "SNAP", i look at the end of my pole and see all of this blue colored stuff on the eye of my rod, and i'm thinking cool i'll go and get some new braid...... NOPE!!!!!!!!

none at bass pro, none at academy, none at wally world.... well they have some but only 150yd spools, am i skrewed?? is there some super secret way to get this s^&t same day, i'm located in kerrville, and will be driving out to Port Aransas for the trip that leaves friday morning, I don't have much of a budget left for line, HELP!?!?!

and now i'm looking at my hopper rod and the F*I^*&^ top guide is notched!!!!!!!!!!, I thought this F)(*&)(*&*)O&^*(&^*( thing has SC guides, thats what they advertise, mind you I was only putting 5-10 lbs of pressure on the rig while spooling it. anyone have any ideas?

so now i guess my jigging rig is fu%^$d, before it even hits the water,

2. awesum

awesum Senior Member

If you're coming down Thursday leave early enough to stop by Roy's on SPID. They will replace that tip/guide while you wait if you explain to them you are due to go out in the morning they also have braid. If you don't have the change for braid go ahead and spool up with some good 50# mono. I've been lucky enough to catch two very nice YFT on 50# with a Torium 30.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

B

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Just don't panic, things will work out. You will have to replace your tip because you will loose a big fish if it gets in the groove. What kind of line are you looking for?

4. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

why 80# on the jig rod? use some 65#, with a 3' leader of 80# flourocarbon. 80# is more expensive. i buy my braid in 1100 yards spools off ebay for ~$55. spiderwire stealth.(just so you know for next time).

tackle shop should be able to get you fixed up and good to go ;) I would be calling that rod MFG and complaining... kinda goes with the old saying-"you get what you pay for". i hope it works out best for you though. next time, spend a little extra and get an OTI rod and you wont have ANY problems.

5. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I sent you a pm. If you need a jigging rod for the trip, lemme know. I'll bring an extra. If you need 80 lb braid, same thing. No problems. Conventional or spinning? Again, no problems.
    Give me a call at 512-576-6876 this afternoon or evening.

But you're gonna owe me a beer.

Fred

6. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Fred, I don't need any gear just fresh sashimi :D Bring me the YFT !

Louis

7. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Louis, If we catch, I'll bring you a whole one.

You gonna bring me one of those state snappers?

Fred

8. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Snapper and Grouper fillets! We need to meet for dinner soon and have one cooked Szechuan syle at a Chinese restaurant.

Delicious :D

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

eat the grouper sashimi....it's excellent :)

10. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I never tried grouper sashimi Bret - but I'll give it a shot this weekend!

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

It's great, I tried grouper and mahi after Bret mentioned it so much.

12. captkid26

captkid26 Guest

I want to hear how the trip goes!! All this talking about fishing and my boat tied up is driving me crazy!! Thanks IKE

Good luck and tight lines

13. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

wahoo sashimi is outstanding

14. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

wahoo sashimi is outstanding

I agree, but u gotta eat it immediately. Stored overnight, it's not good anymore. It's better to cook it after storage.

15. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Fred is a topnotch guy! You all have a great trip!!

Try using a roller guide rod if you can when spooling spectra. The roller guides will prevent groving and wear on the line and the stiffer tip will make it easier to reel.

16. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words Scott. I've had 2 trips cancelled in as many months and am excited that this one is going. I was just going to bring 2 jigging and 2 popping set ups but I've notched it up a bit in case anybody has equipment problems. I'll be heading south shortly.
    Tuna beware.

Fred