I ran 50 plus miles to catch a few fluke

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Everybody thinks crazy to run over 50 miles to catch a few fluke, but I did yesterday.
    John Lee in Belmore,LI asked me to run his boat as he invited Hideo Kuribara,owner of famous Ushiwakamaru sushi restaurant, NY yesterday.
    Originally I plan to go to Atlantic Beach Reef as I got a good fishin report there from a charter boat captain who fished Saturday.
    But I changed my plan as it was calm and fishing report out of Shinnecok was so good to ignore. I took only 1 1/2 hours from Jones Inlet to Shinnecock. We drifted alongside other boats about couple of miles east of Shinnecock, but we couldn't catch a single keeper though we caught and released so many shorts in three hours.
    Finally I could locate a small area with some keeper size fluke and made short drifts to make a respectable catches though we didn't cath any fluke over 5 lbs.
    My Kil-R-Rig worked. Most fluke were very aggressive and they swallowed my baits at initial strike.

The highlight of the trip was not to catch fluke, but to eat sushi and sashim prepared by Hideo. Hideo is also my longtime friend. He was a silver metallist at national sush contest in Japan and three time sush champions in the US.

Hideo-san cutting fluke. We should call him Kuribara-san, but everybody call him Hideo-san.
    [​IMG]

Sushi party with sush and sashimi prepared by Hideo-san.
    Freshly cut fluke Usuzukuri(thinnly cut) with bonz sauce was outrageous.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He brought some other fish for assortment.
    [​IMG]

The masterpiece.
    -taditional Tsuke makuro (marinated bluefin tuna),
    -samma which came from Japan. Only fresh samma can be served for sush and sashimi and you don't see them at normal Japanese sushi restaurant.
    -engawa (ribbon part of fluke), which is served to only regular customers
    -mentaiko (salted whiting roe)
    [​IMG]

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

that looks amazing :D. where is his restaurant located? in the city?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

that looks amazing :D. where is his restaurant located? in the city?
    It is located at 136 West Houston St.
    They open from 6:00 pm and don't serve lunch.
    Don't expect to eat other Japanese food there as it is authentic Japanese sushi restaurant and serve only sushi and sashimi.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

thats fine, sushi and sashimi are my favorite foods anyway :)

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

thats fine, sushi and sashimi are my favorite foods anyway :)
    But you got to remember that raw fish served is much more expensive than cooked fish for some unknown reason. :)

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

But you got to remember that raw fish served is much more expensive than cooked fish for some unknown reason. :)

plus the normal size of a filet is much bigger than 4 or 5 pieces of sashimi which costs just as much :eek:

7. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Man, It looks gooood. Kil, have you ever tried wahoo sashimi? We cut some in Venice once and it was really good.

Fred

8. workin

workin Member

Man, It looks gooood. Kil, have you ever tried wahoo sashimi? We cut some in Venice once and it was really good.

Fred

That ain't no lie. A lot of my wahoo have hit the dock with only one side on them.

FYI, on the advice of another captain friend, I recently tried almaco jack - it was pretty damned good, which surprised the hell out of me. I'm no connisour, but I bet most people couldn't tell it apart from yellowtail. My redneck-a$s sure couldn't.

F

9. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the pictures Kilsong....that table of fish looks wonderful.