360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are a million things i dont know that i will be asking about.

best city to find accomidations in?

i want to stay for two weeks, anything cheaper than a hotel?

i already know who i want to charter, but if he is unavailable who should i charter?

but what i want to adress in this thread first is this: rods!

first, what weight jigging rod is but for CCB? i am going to order two more jigging rods and i want them to be for the above average tuna caught in CCB. is 600g enough? please let me know your opinions.

to help me with rod choice, what the average tuna caught in CCB weigh?

next, popping rods! i am unfmailiar with the rating system for popping rods. i feel like its not as nice and easy like gram weight on a jiggin rod. so, with CC BFT in what should i be looking for?

Thanks for all the help guys!! Tight Lines!
Aaron

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
i posted about fish caught on jigs.
only 2 guys posted they had caught 200# fish
most seemed 125-175#range on jigs

the 600g would be pleanty,
but may beat you up a little.
some guys caught those fish with lighter rods. with success.

the ratings on rods are all a little different.
some 400g rods are softer than other 400g rods.

for popping rods,
OTI were popular, and the calstars worked very well for a few guys i know.

some guys did well with imported highend stuff.
but i would say most of the guys fishing up there were not using that type of gear.
this is based on what i sell up there.

If you book a charter..he should have the equiptment to catch these fish. right??

ask what they were using.
i am not sure how many charters are giving their clients 1600$ popping outfits to fish with.

if they do, it will save me from bringing mine:D :D

the calstars did great on some charters.;)

·
130 Posts
No fishing experience for BFT in CCB (did get a 400# on 130# in the chair and pulled to the deck on a unknown w/ 80# standup out of Hatteras). The reports on this forum were the hot rods for popping were the OTI Tuna Sniper and Ocean Revolution Black Devil. BD was better for lite swim baits but the early fight was on the reel not the rod. Randy Chin has taken the BD stock to CA @ JDM Tackle. They are on sale at 40% off until 1/15/2010.

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
If you are staying for two weeks then rent a house on the Cape. It will be much more convenient for preparing and eating your sushi. :D vrbo.com will have plenty of listings. Look in the mid-Cape.

Some charters use stellas with calstar rods. PM if you want more info.

Others will be better for suggestions on jigging specific rods if you are set on bringing your own.

·
Banned
76 Posts
If you book a charter..he should have the equiptment to catch these fish. right??

ask what they were using.
i am not sure how many charters are giving their clients 1600$ popping outfits to fish with.

if they do, it will save me from bringing mine:D :D

the calstars did great on some charters.;)

The better charter capt's are all using Big Stella's and high end rods. We run 20000SW's and custom Calstars @ $1500 per combo, minimum of 4 on the boat plus lighter stuff. I know Capt Jeff Smith is running the big Shimano's with high $$$ rods too for the big fish.

Next season there will be some SWEET new stuff on our boat for the under 100# fish :D

If your going to charter, you can always bring your own stuff, but if your capt has the goods don't spend any $$$ to buy it. Use theirs, its why we have it.

You might rent a house for 2 weeks and save a few on a hotel, but thats a case by case thing.

I send mostof my sports to the Hotel on the canal. IT was the Best Western
Bourne Bridge, Its been sold a few times, but if you google Bourne Bridge Hotel you should find it. Its on Trowbridge Rd in Bourne. Decent small chain style hotel with a nice restaurant / bar on site. Walk to the CC Canal and surf fish after dinner if you want. Careful with small mom and pop motels. Some are OK, many are "crack shacks" in the winter and quaint CC motels in the summer. SKEEZZZYYY PM or email me if you need logistics on where to stay I live in the are and can give you the 411 on the good the bad and the nasty motels.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
The better charter capt's are all using Big Stella's and high end rods. We run 20000SW's and custom Calstars @ $1500 per combo, minimum of 4 on the boat plus lighter stuff. I know Capt Jeff Smith is running the big Shimano's with high $$$ rods too for the big fish.

Next season there will be some SWEET new stuff on our boat for the under 100# fish :D

If your going to charter, you can always bring your own stuff, but if your capt has the goods don't spend any $$$ to buy it. Use theirs, its why we have it.

You might rent a house for 2 weeks and save a few on a hotel, but thats a case by case thing.

Bourne Bridge, Its been sold a few times, but if you google Bourne Bridge Hotel you should find it. Its on Trowbridge Rd in Bourne. Decent small chain style hotel with a nice restaurant / bar on site. Walk to the CC Canal and surf fish after dinner if you want. Careful with small mom and pop motels. Some are OK, many are "crack shacks" in the winter and quaint CC motels in the summer. SKEEZZZYYY PM or email me if you need logistics on where to stay I live in the are and can give you the 411 on the good the bad and the nasty motels.
You got that right.

The calstars have been the MOST popular rod up there.
at least in sales for me.

we are actually extending them for a little more length, if needed.
glad to hear some more charters are using them and likem:D :D

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts

Hey Terry,

Should he check out some fishing show called "Spanish Fly" on the 24th at 9:30 A.M. on ESPN2? ;)

·
225 Posts
DoubleA,

I admire your obvious enthusiasm for a trip up to our neck of the ocean. Terry is one of the very best up here. Jeff Smith, who he mentioned and Capt Dom are the other two "A" players in this area. A little to the north First Light Anglers (Nat and Derek) are class acts. There are many others. But these are the best "jig/pop" guys.

I second Terry's suggestion. Don't spend money on high end gear just yet if you are coming to charter. Spent your hard earned cash on the charter and use their top end gear. All of the guys mentioned above have very high quality gear.... Charters will not have exotic Japanese super rods. It doesn't make business sense. But they have top quality production gear.

Once you spend your two weeks up here and use a variety of some one else's top gear, you will be able to make a more educated purchase from a top rod maker like Paul.

Keep in mind that the weather up here is variable. If you get out 5 out of 10 days, you are doing well... it was less last year. Terry runs a beast of a boat and the other guys run top quality smaller boats. They will get out when other can't. Just temper your expectation of 14 straight day of fishing. It won't happen.

I don't know about renting a small house but I like the site: Vacation Rentals in Florida, California, Oregon, Hawaii & More - CyberRentals Give it a shot. If you stay 45 minutes away from the water you can get "Holiday Inn Type" accomidations for about $100 a night. If you want to stay near the water..... well that ain't cheap. If you are in a hotel, you will have a major problem with storing your hard fought tuna steaks. Think about it.

My recomendations are (in sequential order): to pick your weeks, pick your accomidations, book your guides, fish you butt off, then call Paul and order your expensive tuna gear.

Mike

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
You don't need to search for more jigging rods as the 450g Black Hole jigging rod you get is all you need.
If it doesn't perform for 200 lbs tuna, I can give full refund. :)
The reason I didn't recommend to develop heavier than 450g rod is I feel 450g Black Hole rod is good enough for any fish. I am going to test the 450g rod for giant this season.

I can not comment on the captains mentioned above as I never fished with them. But all have very good reputations.

Most jigging and popping fishermen I know fished with three Capts last year.

Capt Dom
Capt Chip
and Capt Richie of the Black Rose.

I hope you could attend my jigging and popping sessions of Canyon Runners Seminars held in Atlantic City, NJ, Long Island, NY and Mohigan Sun, CT this winter. I am going to speak about jigging and popping in Cape Cod. :)

----------------------

JIGNPOP.COM

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks so much guys!!

the reason i was planning on coming up for two weeks is because i was hoping for 5-7 days of fishing.

How far out should i be booking my charter captain? will they fill up soon? yea, i was definitely hoping for a house. ill check out those websites.

I didnt think about letting my charter captain provide the popping gear. that works, it makes life a lot easier on me :)

again, thanks for all the help and input guys! i really appreciate it!

·
225 Posts
Oh and one other thing on CCB tuna weight.... This will be a very interesting year. The average tuna caught thoughout last year was 65 inch, 150 pounds. But from mid -August through October, there was a healthy pick of 45 inch fish as well.

We have been picking on the 65 inch fish year class for the last 6 years. They have grown from 30 to 45 to 53 to 60 to 65 inches year over year. This was the first time there were any number of smaller fish in the mix (a healthy sign).

So the interesting question is will the 65 inch fish come back at 72 inches and 210 pounds or will they wander further north. If they come back will they act like they did last year (targetable by jig/pop techniques) or will they start acting like giants (and mostly like live bait).

Or will they head up to Canada, by passing us entirely, leaving us to chase 50inch fish with our big Stella 20000's... Who know???? But in the begining, I am loading the guns for 200 - 220 pound fish. Then I will see how it plays out.

Mike

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't need to search for more jigging rods as the 450g Black Hole jigging rod you get is all you need.
If it doesn't perform for 200 lbs tuna, I can give full refund. :)
The reason I didn't recommend to develop heavier than 450g rod is I feel 450g Black Hole rod is good enough for any fish. I am going to test the 450g rod for giant this season.

----------------------

JIGNPOP.COM

too bad i only ordered a 250 and 350g..... :/

maybe ill try and get a 450g blank and have someone make it for me

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
too bad i only ordered a 250 and 350g..... :/

maybe ill try and get a 450g blank and have someone make it for me
Don't worry, you can change to 450g rod if you like. :)

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't worry, you can change to 450g rod if you like. :)

i think im gonna go with a 450g blank :) so ill order one when they are available!!!

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
As for booking, I would suggest start looking now. Every time I was there, they were out which tells me they are booked heavily. I'm sure when word get out that the bite is on their phones ring non stop. All the capts seem good up there, and I will personally recommend Dom and Chip. Met them several times now and the are class "A". This is pure adreniline fishing so get ready now.

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think im gonna go with a 450g blank :) so ill order one when they are available!!!

i think this is the one im gonna spring for a Stella on :)

·
Banned
17 Posts
Book local, why would you book a trip from guys that aren't from here??? If you were to go hunting, would you book a local guide or a guide from somewhere else. I think I'm going to book the guy that just showed up yesterday??? That makes no sense. Locals have knowlege that would take years to gain, when somebody else is coming in blind. I don't care how good you are you can't superseed local knowledge. Fishing is the same.

·
225 Posts
Book local, why would you book a trip from guys that aren't from here??? If you were to go hunting, would you book a local guide or a guide from somewhere else. I think I'm going to book the guy that just showed up yesterday??? That makes no sense. Locals have knowlege that would take years to gain, when somebody else is coming in blind. I don't care how good you are you can't superseed local knowledge. Fishing is the same.

Every guide mentioned in this thread is a local...

Mike

G

·
Not all.

well no need to beat around the bush - Chip Baker is from North Carolina. I am pretty sure this is who you are referring to as Kil mentioned him in his post.

I completely agree local knowledge is crucial and a huge help, but being a great captain is also important.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts