360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I’m a newbie in all this tuna fishing jazz and I need your guys’s help on deciding on some gear. I’m planning to be jigging and popping for mostly bluefin and occasionally yellowfin. I want to get a Stella but can’t decide if I should get a 20000 or a 18000. Which one do you guys think would work better for both jigging and popping. I was also thinking about getting an ovum’s macaira 20000 what do you think of that idea? I also had some thoughts on the saltiga but the mag seal seems like a hassle to keep working well. Thank you in advance!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
From New York out , u don’t need any of those reels , it is not going to be like ur thinking , u could cast whole day and just for air . But , if u really want to get into popping and jigging like most of us at beginning time , I suggest u get a 18000 for popping , a 20000 for jigging . And a 14000 for lighter set up convenience . Plus carpenters or ripple fisher or those high end popping and jigging rods. 5000 bucks should be good enough for those . Remember buy from forums not brand new , that will save u lots of money . And honestly, after couple trips , most of them will sit in ur home as collections .
Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Fender

these are my partial collections , they just sit on my table every day with me to remind me I am still loving fishing .
Honestly, if u fishing tuna from NY or NJ , some big conventional reels like tiagra , atd , talica are more useful.
Just my little two cents , don’t want u waste ur money for popping and jigging . They are so many fun , but they are requiring too much for where u fishing , especially NY is not design for popping .

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your fishing the bluefin off NY / NJ coast ..your going to need a couple of 80w and a XXXH ,RT80 or Boomer rod holder setup..the bluefin are eating live bait bunker of bluefish ..and you want to land & dress the fish ASAP ...a spinner isnt very good for this type of fishing,,

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m planning to go out from New York and New Jersey and the tuna range anywhere from 50-500 pounds from what I heard but I’m not fully sure.
I could write paragraphs, but you don’t need anything bigger than a 14000 w a pe5-8 rod for most of the fish you will encounter in NJ, especially as a beginner. I personally use a Monster Ledge 200st For Bluefin in the 80-200lb range paired w a 14k Stella.
I feel that setup is somewhat overkill for yellowfin, so I use a Centaur Chiron inshore Game 79 w an 8-14k Stella for both smaller bluefin and yellowfin (40-100lb class).

As far as jigging goes, you can go larger on the reel size as you are not casting the large 18/20k body all day. You can definitely use a 20k with a 4-500g jigging rod, but I feel a 10K w a Chiron 52 or 51 is plenty for 90% of our jig bites.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if I had to choose only one it would be hg ratio+10k size for ≈150lb fish with saltiga braid pe4/400m (or 14k spool pe5/400): gosa or Spheros sw-a....something better twp, certate.

pe6-8: 18k hg gosa&sph (with certate you save 3oz) or slammer hs.If you need both ratios, I would go with 18k hg gosa&sph and gosa 25k pg.
Makaira?great option, a tank! (but 34oz and +difficult to turn).
+350lb? stella or makaira 30k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From New York out , u don’t need any of those reels , it is not going to be like ur thinking , u could cast whole day and just for air . But , if u really want to get into popping and jigging like most of us at beginning time , I suggest u get a 18000 for popping , a 20000 for jigging . And a 14000 for lighter set up convenience . Plus carpenters or ripple fisher or those high end popping and jigging rods. 5000 bucks should be good enough for those . Remember buy from forums not brand new , that will save u lots of money . And honestly, after couple trips , most of them will sit in ur home as collections . View attachment 121534
these are my partial collections , they just sit on my table every day with me to remind me I am still loving fishing .
Honestly, if u fishing tuna from NY or NJ , some big conventional reels like tiagra , atd , talica are more useful.
Just my little two cents , don’t want u waste ur money for popping and jigging . They are so many fun , but they are requiring too much for where u fishing , especially NY is not design for popping .
Thanks a lot for the advise. I recently got a talica 16 2 you think that would be any good? So you think a Stella 14 would the job for most of the lure work right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From New York out , u don’t need any of those reels , it is not going to be like ur thinking , u could cast whole day and just for air . But , if u really want to get into popping and jigging like most of us at beginning time , I suggest u get a 18000 for popping , a 20000 for jigging . And a 14000 for lighter set up convenience . Plus carpenters or ripple fisher or those high end popping and jigging rods. 5000 bucks should be good enough for those . Remember buy from forums not brand new , that will save u lots of money . And honestly, after couple trips , most of them will sit in ur home as collections . View attachment 121534
I could write paragraphs, but you don’t need anything bigger than a 14000 w a pe5-8 rod for most of the fish you will encounter in NJ, especially as a beginner. I personally use a Monster Ledge 200st For Bluefin in the 80-200lb range paired w a 14k Stella.
I feel that setup is somewhat overkill for yellowfin, so I use a Centaur Chiron inshore Game 79 w an 8-14k Stella for both smaller bluefin and yellowfin (40-100lb class).

As far as jigging goes, you can go larger on the reel size as you are not casting the large 18/20k body all day. You can definitely use a 20k with a 4-500g jigging rod, but I feel a 10K w a Chiron 52 or 51 is plenty for 90% of our jig bites.
I appreciate the help. So a 14 k Stella should do the job for most artificial right ? And with that 14 k what rod would pair well for artificial fishing ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks a lot for the advise. I recently got a talica 16 2 you think that would be any good? So you think a Stella 14 would the job for most of the lure work right?
Yeap
14000 stella or saltiga will get the job done for popping , I fell 16 is little small , mostly in the location people use 50 or some big 80w reels with xxxh rods

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeap
14000 stella or saltiga will get the job done for popping , I fell 16 is little small , mostly in the location people use 50 or some big 80w reels with xxxh rods
Alright any recommendations of a rod for the Stella? Is it even worth giving the 16 a try or is it definitely way too small?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I appreciate the help. So a 14 k Stella should do the job for most artificial right ? And with that 14 k what rod would pair well for artificial fishing ?
Yes it is perfect for throwing poppers / stickbaits.
monster ledge 200ST
Centaur Combat arm Big one
Nomad Design 8’3 pe 5-8
Shimano Grappler 82H
Black widow 300s
Those are Pe 5-8 rods that are better suited for bluefin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it is perfect for throwing poppers / stickbaits.
monster ledge 200ST
Centaur Combat arm Big one
Nomad Design 8’3 pe 5-8
Shimano Grappler 82H
Black widow 300s
Those are Pe 5-8 rods that are better suited for bluefin.
Alright thanks a lot. Line recommendations? I’m very lost in what brand to get and the size too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
10k stella with 50-65 briad for jigging (you can throw a maxel 16k spool on it if you want) on the stock spool I have over 550 yards of 50lb max cuatro....for casting the smaller lures I prefer my Stella 8k with 40lb Jerry Brown....but Cam pretty much covered all the bases

1 - 17 of 17 Posts