I need an answer to the never-ending question

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by stresst, Nov 8, 2008.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I am looking for the ultimate northeast jigging reel. I just got rid of my Trini 40 and dont know what I want/need. I think I know what I want, but wanna hear all my options.

OJ 4 or 5000?
    Saltiga 40 or 50? or Ishidai?
    JBaker ?
    Alutecnos? Which model?
    Accurate? Which model?
    Or ....?

This reel is gonna be used for vertical jigging only. I have a 665W 2 speed that im gonna use for chunking. I am probably gonna get a spinner for popping but one thing at a time. Or no-one is gonna get a x-mas gift this year-LOL

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Honestly my next reel will probably be a blue heaven l120.
    I jigged with one a few times last trip and was highly impressed. I'll have a hard time not buying one.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

stresst, you have a very hard decision on your hands. you might have to put your hands on all those reels before you can make a decision you wont regret later. the trini is essentially the OJ. the ishidai has a line counter on the side which might not be that comfortable while jigging. the JB and alutecnos might be too heavy or too wide. All the reels you are thinking about are good quality reels that will work. there are many people that like each of the reels youve mentioned. hope you find the one that fits your needs.all the above reels have the strength and line capacity. i think the biggest factor is how comfortable the reel is to you. good luck. brian.

4. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I am probably gonna go with a OJ 4000, but wanted to see if there was anything im missing/overlooked?

5. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

And there's the star drag vs lever drag thing. They're all great reels. A determinating factor might be what size fish you intend to catch. If you don't need great line capacity, narrow and extra narrow spools are great for jigging. If you're gonna have to spool pe8 and need a lot you might be looking at the larger reels. I've got a 665N with 4 to 1 retrieve that is my new fave (single speed, you don't need 2). The OJ's, especially the P models, are great but some don't like the diameter of the spools.
    Brian's right, put em in your hands and fish em if you get a chance.

Fred

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i want a JB 12. that reel is a tank.

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

i want a JB 12. that reel is a tank.
    I dont like to jig with mine because it doesnt have anti reverse bearings. It clangs a lot when jigging fast....

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

when did you get yours? i thought that was part of the new upgrades?

i would want it more for slow jigging and if i ever fished with bait.

9. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Mine is one of the originals. I need to send it out and get the next round of uprgrades. I was not aware of anti reverse bearings...
    I'll check into that.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I used all reels you mentioned and still Saltiga 40/50 is my fovorite.
    I have my own criteria when choosing a tuna jigging reel.
    castability,
    smooth drag,
    enough max drag,
    strength/durability
    and reel weight.

However other fishermen might have different criteria than I do as their jigging style and taste are different. For guys who just drop jigs, castability is not an issue. Guys who like to crank fast need narrower spooled reels.

And also what kind of fish and the size of fish you target are deciding factors too.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

The saltiga 40 has great castability. It's awesome.

12. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

After fishing all the models you mentioned and owning a couple, right now the Trini 40n or the OJ5 or 4 is my favorate. I don't even have to pay attention to that spool when fast jigging and it always lays line level. You won't be happy with the JB or Alu for everyday jigging, but I could be wrong. I like to keep the reels smaller and lighter. The Saltigas are also my favs too, but I like having the higher max drag of the shimano. Its a tough call. Just buy them all LOL!!!
    Oh yeh my JB12 doesn;t bother me fast jigging with the handle knocking but the mass definately burns you out quicker.

13. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Has anyone used the new Shimano I forget the name god dammit! It was black, looked the daiwa's ishidai, had a line counter, and a spool lock ?? Reel looked sweet but I didn't know anyting about it plus it wasn't cheap!

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

JB 12 weight is not as big of a deal for me. when you replace the handle with a JM handle as kil did, it really balances the reel well.

I would use this reel primarily on a long jigging rod and jig with it slowly. in this case a narrow spool isnt as big of a difference. when speed jigging i think a narrow spool is ideal.

however, if you hook into a bigeye, big bluefin, cow yellowfin or swordfish - i'd much rather fish the JB 12 than an ocea, saltiga or likewise. this reel is a tank.

i will also use it if/when i fish with bait. i think it's quite versatile - though i agree it is not the ideal speed jigging reel. i just think for slow jigging this is an excellent reel.

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I'd have to agree with you there. Slow jigging would work well.
    I like my JB a lot. I use it as my main chunking and live bait reel. I like my 665 better for jigging though.

16. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I picked up a OJ 4K P this thing is a tank!

Now I need a good mid priced rod! This never ends

17. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

what are you talking about when you say mid priced? OTI are good rods for 250.00. the smith WGJ series and jigging master are awesome rods for 400.00 or so. you got a nice reel, get a good rod! you wont regret it. save money cuz you will eventually upgrade. ha ha

18. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I mean I not gonna get my hand cut open again using a POS trevala-LOL I went to APS today and they are getting a shipment in next week. I think i want a blue rose, im not too sure?

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I mean I not gonna get my hand cut open again using a POS trevala-LOL I went to APS today and they are getting a shipment in next week. I think i want a blue rose, im not too sure?

The blue Rose is a excellent choice. I have one for my OJ 5000 and its a beast.

d-a

20. stresst

stresst Senior Member

The blue Rose is a excellent choice. I have one for my OJ 5000 and its a beast.

d-a

What model? I was looking at the 5371S - I think?