I missed a great opportunity to land a giant

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

When I was about to leave for Cape Cod for giant to fish last Saturday, Capt called me at 9:00 pm on Friday and canceled the trip.

We knew giants were there in big number near Regal Sword off Chatham, Cape Cod as a friend of the Capt had a 870 lbs dressed a few days before Sat.

I was disappointed as I knew we had a great shot at them and I was more disapponted as I got the reports that virtually every giant boat had at least one giant and some boats had three on a single day on Sat and Sun. They are not talking about 400 - 500 lbs giant, but 800 - 1000 lbs.

Capt Les of Hyannis, Cape Cod called me on Sunday afternoon and invited to join him for cod/giant trip on Wed and I accepted.
    When we arrived at the ground yesterday morning, there were over 100 bosts already (I stop counting after 75).
    Fishing was not as furious and hot as on Sat and Sun, but I saw a few boats fighting a giant nearby.

Unfortunately we didn't hook up any giant, but we had great cod jigging instead. I must caught close to 100 cod on jigs though most cod were scrod/market size and the keeper ratio is about 50:50.

I even tried jigging for giant for a while though I knew the chance of landing it was very slim. :)

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

At least you had a good cod jigging day! were they all cod or were there pollock mixed in? you're getting my excited to jig cod in December :)

did you see any of the giants back at the dock?

Does anyone know where the 100-200lb bluefin went? I heard of a few guys catching bluefin off jersey but they were only 30-40". they were also only 30miles out so maybe they're at the canyons????

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

At least you had a good cod jigging day! were they all cod or were there pollock mixed in? you're getting my excited to jig cod in December :)

did you see any of the giants back at the dock?

Does anyone know where the 100-200lb bluefin went? I heard of a few guys catching bluefin off jersey but they were only 30-40". they were also only 30miles out so maybe they're at the canyons????
    We got to the dock by 9:00 pm. I saw a few boat tied up a ginat boatside on the fishing ground.
    School blueifn traditionally are caught near Mudhole or inshore lumps in the fall in NJ.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah, i think they were at the mudhole. i was just hoping the bigger bluefin would come inshore :)

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

yeah, i think they were at the mudhole. i was just hoping the bigger bluefin would come inshore :)
    We had great giant fishery in the Mud Hole years ago, but it is only memony.

6. shanker

shanker Senior Member

We had great giant fishery in the Mud Hole years ago, but it is only memony.

overfishing from the commercials? Recreationals? or both?

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It looks giants changed their migratory route. Bluefin used to be inshore fishery, but we start to see them on offshore canyons in recent years.

8. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Oregon inlet and MHC!

9. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

To have loved and lost is far better than to have never loved at all.

Keep chasing the fish of the world. and please keep letting us know how it

it goes for you.

Oh, but please complete your web site so I can check your J. M. stock.:)

Good luck fishing the next few months as tax season will soon follow.:eek:

Kev

10. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Kil ,

I feel your pain. five years ago i had a charter booked with the famous peace marvel for jan 6. prime lump season. I wasnt on any sites then and couldnt get a crew together......so i cancelled about 10 days in advance as i wanted peace to be able to fill the date. Jan 7 comes and i was reading the fishing reports from their site. the report was something like this......We arrived at the lump and started chumming first two chunks out and a double header.....two fish hit the deck a 197# yft and a 165#. Charter done at 9am because the anglers were to tired. Those were my fish(j/k). Not as good as 1000# bluefin but along the same lines. Oh well that what the fishing gods do sometimes.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Oh, but please complete your web site so I can check your J. M. stock.:)

Good luck fishing the next few months as tax season will soon follow.:eek:

Kev
    Fortunately we have bad weather for a while so that I can work on the website. :) Even the website is completed, many items are not available soon as the delivery dates of some items are a few month away or they are not upto my standard and need modification or upgrade.

12. epac0920

epac0920 Junior member

For what it's worth, a guy I work with, who used to fish the mudhole years ago when large BFT were common there has told me that after the commercial vessels cleaned out the whiting there, the large BFT began to bypass the mudhole. He tells me that they would drop a two hook bottom rig down to pick up whatever bottom fish they could, then either drop it back down a few cranks off the bottom using appropriate leader/hook combination, or just drift it into the slick with no weight.