I love 8 oz diamond/hammered diamond jigs

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Sep 14, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

There are so many new jigs flooded into the market, but I still love my 8 oz diamond/hammered diamond jigs.
    I believe the jigs are one of the most versatile jigs ever invented. You can jig slow or you can jig fast. You can jig deep at bottom and you can jig on the surface. You can catch a small as 2 - 4 lbs seabass or snapper and you can catch 200 - 300 lbs tuna on the same jig.
    Who cares even you lose some as it cost only $5 - 7. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yellowtail
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

amazing pics Kil!! I love the variety of fish you can catch with such a simple jig. I'm really going to have to tie on a 8oz. Hammered Diamond Jig on my next trip to NC :)

btw, that's one of the biggest Sea Bass I've ever seen!

3. feeder

feeder Senior Member

That's one big wahoo.

Hey Kil, where do you get your hammered diamond jigs from? Will your new shop be offering those as well?

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

That's one big wahoo.

Hey Kil, where do you get your hammered diamond jigs from? Will your new shop be offering those as well?

The cheapest place is still Jigs, Rigs and Stuff... .
    They sell below cost of what normal tackle retail stores buy. I am going to carry them, but I am not enthusiastic because I can not beat their prices. :)
    I am thinking about selling custom diamond/hammered diamond jigs instead.

5. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

hmm, Custom Kil-R Hammered Diamond jigs?.... has a nice ring to it... I bet it would sell ;) :p

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

hmm, Custom Kil-R Hammered Diamond jigs?.... has a nice ring to it... I bet it would sell ;) :p
    The only way I can compete with them is to go to custom with high quality and new ideas. :)
    I experimented custom fluke bucktails with great success on Thusday.
    I know I don't think I can supply them enough next summer as it takes too much time to make them one by one.

7. clalo20

clalo20 Junior member

Great pics Ksong!!! These jigs also help for toothy critters since the hook is in the back and there is no cord, just metal.

Thank You for reminding me of them, I usually have them in the back and always forget their fish catching ability.

8. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

KilR,
    How big was this wahoo? The head looks huge!!!

[​IMG]

9. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

custom jigs sounds good, maybe stronger hooks and swivels..

10. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Thanks Kil. Do you ever use assist hooks on your diamond jigs or do you find that they mess up the action of the jig?

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

KilR,
    How big was this wahoo? The head looks huge!!!

[​IMG]
    86 lbs.

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks Kil. Do you ever use assist hooks on your diamond jigs or do you find that they mess up the action of the jig?
    You can use assist hooks. But I don't see much difference.

13. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

86 lbs.

That is an honorable catch trolling, let alone on a jig. Very nice.

14. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

What kind of reel is that you are using?

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

What kind of reel is that you are using?
    Saltiga 50 for tuna and wahoo.
    Torium 20 for seabass.

16. wacker

wacker Senior Member

You gotta love them!
    If I could only have one lure that is the one I would chose.

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I love them too, thanks for introducing them to me. =)

18. turfman

turfman Member

Not to take away from anybody's livleyhood but Kevin Bogan in Point Pleasant Beach Nj has standard chrome jigs, hammered and will paint jigs any color you want. I think the most expensive one I ever bought was $15 and that was for a painted 20oz cod jig.

Kevin Bogan's Custom Rods

Just a thought

19. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Single or Treble hook? Which do you prefer or which application/situation would you use one over the other?
    And what would you recommend for the canyon tuna trip I am taking on Oct 9 (on the Voyager)?

Ty

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Not to take away from anybody's livleyhood but Kevin Bogan in Point Pleasant Beach Nj has standard chrome jigs, hammered and will paint jigs any color you want. I think the most expensive one I ever bought was $15 and that was for a painted 20oz cod jig.

Kevin Bogan's Custom Rods

Just a thought
    Why did you think your posting take away from anybody's livelyhood ? :)
    This is site for fishermen and we can share any information among members.
    I dind't know Kevin sell jigs too. Is it gerenal trend rod builders start to carry jigs ? :) Kevin is an old fashioned guy and doesn't believe expensive gears catch more fish and his philosophy reflects his products.

But don't buy any cod jig just because it is cheap. There are several style of viking jigs, a certain style of viking jigs works much better.