360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went an overnight trip on the 100' Atlantis Princess out of Staten Island, NY Sat/Sun.
Tuna fishing was slow at canyons, but inshore bluefin fishing was pretty good.
Bait fishing was steady, but they didn't respond to normal jigs. So I tested two new jigs and they worked ! I had three on the jigs.
I'll post the report later as I am heading for Manhattan to celebrate my wife's birthday. I am dead tired now but it is an obligation you can not ignore. :)

·
2,753 Posts
I went an overnight trip on the 100' Atlantis Princess out of Staten Island, NY Sat/Sun.
Tuna fishing was slow at canyons, but inshore bluefin fishing was pretty good.
Bait fishing was steady, but they didn't respond to normal jigs. So I tested two new jigs and they worked ! I had three on the jigs.
I'll post the report later as I am heading for Manhattan to celebrate my wife's birthday. I am dead tired now but it is an obligation you can not ignore. :)

Job well done Kil!
Slow fishing at the Canyons means there is another option and that place starts with a Cape....and ends with Cod!

Good job with the overnight run, and sorry again for not making it out. I'm curious to what the jigs were....

One question: Are you posting while driving again?? :D

-Enoch

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One question: Are you posting while driving again?? :D

-Enoch
No, my wife is driving. She thinks I am too tired to drive. :)

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went an overnight canyon trip on the Atlantis Princess out of Staten Island on Sat/Sun.
The Atlantic Princess becomes my favortie tuna boat in recent years.
When we arrived at Hudson Canyon, it was weird to see only a few boats out there.
we had mahi mahi cruising around the boat and quiet a few mahi were caught with light takcles, but I was concentrating on jigging for tuna/swordfish without any success. After jigging a couple of hours, I decided to rest for morning bluefin jigging inshore.

The boat left for bluefin ground inshore early in the morning.
We had a few blufin bites on bait not long after the boat was anchored, but it was apparent they didn't respond to jigs very well as nobody could get hit on jigs though several fishermen jigged.

Ron-Z lure

The first lure I tested was 3 oz Ron-Z lure as I thought I could get the light lure(jig) to 100 - 150 ft because current was not strong.
I dropped the lure to the bottom and moved up the jig by sharp lifting/cranking. Then, something slammed it. My first ever tuna on Ron-Z was on ! I know Sluggo type lures are deadly for bft in Cape Cod and I was wondering it would work for bft in NJ.
I am going to test them for yellowfin and blackfin on upcoming trip out of Port Aransas, Texas.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tuna09-12-09AtlanticPrincess013.jpg

Squid teaser/Diamond jig

After my friend Dan of Cape May Tackle told me that he had great success with diamond jig inseted in the big squid skirt, which is used for trolling, for bluefin at Lobster Claw, I was looking for an opportunity to test it. And I decided to give it a try.

On the first drop, I felt something close to the bottom and I put drag lever of my PE5 to strike and gave a few sharp jerking. Then tuna was on ! However I lost the tuna close to the boat as 80 lbs Seaguar Fluoro carbon leader line got broken even I used only 20 -22 lbs drag. 8*

I decided to test the diamond jig/squid teaser more and I put it on my popping rod as there were some surface actions near the boat.
I casted it and let it sit a few second.
To my surprise, another tuna was on as soon as I start jerking !
but the main PE6 Varivas Tuna one got broken even I had only 18 lbs drag. The line must be damaged.
this diamond jig/squid skirt is going to be tested also on upcoming Gulf of Mexico trip.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tuna09-12-09AtlanticPrincess025.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tuna09-12-09AtlanticPrincess029.jpg

·
2,753 Posts
WOW that is creative!

I mean, it makes all sense besides what has been used for trolling now is working on a popper.
Seems like you are really going for the challenge of finding the tackle that produces.
Even Ron-z is productive in NJ waters is good news.

That your famous jig (7.5 ounces) plus ebbing squid! genius

Good report! I wish I was there to try the magic :D

G

·
ive been meaning to do this ever since dan sent me the squids a few months back......but just never got around to it. now i wish i did!!!

great report kil....you had better fishing that we had. how big was the avg size you were getting inshore?

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Kil,

Sent you a pm and an email. I still would like the 6 Shibuki's for this weeks trip on the Scat Cat.

Joe
Joe, I'll bring them with me. See you on the boat.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any reason one couldn't use a torpedo sinker in lieu of the diamond jig without loosing any effectiveness?
I don't think it has to be diamond jigs. i think any jig or topeto sinker should work.

·
164 Posts
hey kil bring 5-6 of those(squids&jigs) with you this week and i will pay you on the boat. if you have room in your box

·
1,262 Posts
seems to me like once you put it in the squid, any action imparted by a diamind jig etc. would be lost....but maybe not if they are sufficiently weighted "off-balance"....like maybe a cigar weight with a slight curve in it. Would make it wobble on the drop/retrieve.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts