I can relate to crackheads

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Kim, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

It's been about two weeks since I've caught a fish with the weather as it is there is no going offshore so I have been twitchy big time. Last week I noticed that the baitfish have moved back into the sound schooling around the docks and I figured with the temperatures warming this week would be the week for the first Speckled Trout.

Everyday I try a few casts off some of the docks in the neighborhood and hit them again at night when the lights are on. Wednesday I had a couple flash my lure on one of my neighbors dock but no hook up. Walked down to our dock tonight and bam, first cast I hook up on a little trout and released it for next year.

Not a trophy fish, not my biggest and not even legal limit size but it made my day.

esgeo likes this.
  2. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

caught a few last week, but today promises good results.
    gonna hit it this afternoon. wading laguna reef if any locals
    wanna join me.......

3. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Switch from crack to meth :)

Generally, when its early in the season
    with cooler water temps,
    most fish prefer meat to plastic.
    Try a little bait (meth)

Would choose a bait that comes from
    or out of the sand, not another fish bait.

4. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Don’t gags come inshore when it’s blowing in your area?

5. Kim

Not like they used to G. November used to be a banner month at the jetties but with the decline in Gag numbers only a couple are caught now if at all.

HJ, I could switch to shrimp and catch more trout but I do like to throw lures. Nothing like a surface blow up. even if it's just a little one.

6. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Doa shrimp for me on dock lights and jerkshads rigged weedless.i love fishing docks day or night.Last week we killed the reds on docks with paddletails and jerkshads on 1/4 jigheads... tight drag and a good battle on 1000 size reels 8lb braid and light action rods

7. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Overfishing or environmental factors?

8. Kim

No doubt that it's over fishing, first by the commercial sector and now by the recreational sector. It's a fine line to try and draw to establish the TAC for a species sustainability and keep the commercial and recreational sectors happy. That isn't happening either.

9. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

got one 20 incher off my dock after i posted- bone super spook jr, 3rd cast.
    nothing after that, changed to fat boy, no love at all.
    looks to be a good afternoon if the wind will lay a little.

Kim likes this.
  10. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Status
    • According to the 2014 stock assessment, South Atlantic gag are not overfished and are not subject to overfishing.
    • According to the 2014 stock assessment, Gulf of Mexico gag are not overfished and are not subject to overfishing.
    • The Gulf of Mexico gag population declined for several years beginning in 2005, possibly due to a major “red tide” event (an algal bloom that releases potent neurotoxins). Managers implemented a number of measures to rebuild the stock, and it was declared rebuilt in 2014.

11. Kim

Prior to 2005 in the month of November, I could stop at the Jetties with live bait and catch a couple Gag Grouper, since then the number being caught off the jetties rapidly declined. I haven't heard form anyone that I know of a keeper Gag Grouper being caught off the jetties in 2017. You know I walked the rocks because in a boat the guys on the jetties would have stripped the gelcoat off.

12. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Could be environmental changes.

Remember, the official line is,
    NMFS undercounts the fish in the ocean,
    and over counts what fisherman catch.

NMFS says there are same amount of more
    in the ocean today compared to 2005.
    You say its much less, maybe in your local area,
    but not the rest of gulf according the NMFS.

Remember, the rally cry is NMFS does not know
    how to count RS, they under count.
    But you want to suggest they over count on the gag ??

Most likely a localized condition,
    or maybe....

" Prior to 2005, with live bait and catch a couple Gag Grouper "

" I could switch to shrimp and catch more, but I do like to throw lures
    "

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  13. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Sinker throwers?

14. Kim

For sure the pier and jetty rats are a fierce bunch that are not shy about slinging a sinker. Best video I've seen so far was a pier rat taking out someone's drone. Wonder how that all panned out.

HJ, I sure don't know what the cause or the answer is there but I do know that the fish sure aren't there at the same time of year and in the number they used to be. 10 years ago I could go out 30 miles and catch quality fish on spots and now it's just occasionally but if I head out another 30 miles or so, the fishing is just like it used to be 30 miles in closer. I call that fishing pressure.

lite-liner likes this.