I am leaving for Costa Rica.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Dec 19, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am leaving for Costa Rica tomorrow morning for a week.
    As this is family vacation, I can not fish full time, but I think I can find time to fish around. :)

I pack my fishing gears as simple as possible as I don't intend to go offshore this time.

I'll bring 9' two-piece popping rod and one short light jigging rod which can be carried on. I hope I catch a few snook or roosterfish there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

looks like a travel pack ready to rumble! looking forward to the report, have a great time

3. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Kick some ass. :)

4. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I have something for you, when you get home.

5. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

what popping rod?

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Good luck on your trip. I'm packing up my fishing gear for Costa Rica tomorrow. Unfortunately, I will have more packing than you as I will fish both for roosters-cubera's inshore and head offshore in search for billfish with spinning gear for four days on a chartered boat. Every morning will be hunting for Roosters=cubera's then head offshore for tuna, sails and marlin. If I get sick of catching or looking for roosters, it's out to the deep blue.

We will use teasers to raise the bills and then I will toss swimbaits, poppers to them. If they don't like them, I will flip them a live bait on the spinning gear. It could get interesting as I might get spooled a couple of times. I'm taking two smaller spinners for the roosters (8000SW Stella, SR20 Accurate). Large spinners will be Accurate SR30L and 20000SW Stella. I'm taking four rods, one jigging and three 2-PC poppers. I will try my best to limit my lure selection to 40 poppers and swimbaits along with 25 jigs. The owner of the boat has informed the Capt of my desires. He has been extremely helpful and understands my wishes.

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

kil- is that a tiralejo 9 ft rod? i saw an episode of the spanish fly when he tossed poppers with it to smaller tuna in panama and was handling them pretty easy.

mr. bill- only 40 poppers?

good luck to the both of yall.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Kil, it's to bad we couldn't hook up down in CR. You leave on the 26th. I leave at noon Christmas day and arrive in San Jose at 10PM the 25th. Will spend the night at Hilton that night and back to the airport for flight to Puerto Jimenez at 8am the 26th.

If you have an early flight out of San Jose, and want to find me, just look for the guy trying to bribe the pilot of that little plane into taking all my gear.:D
    I understand there is a internet café in Puerto Jimenez. If I catch sometime outstanding, I'll post it here on 360.

I understand the weather on the east coast sucks right now. Hope your plane takes off on time. You might get stuck in NJ for a couple of days.

9. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Kil - don't forget to bring a few bucktails and some soft plastics!!! :) Have a fun time with the family and good luck on the fishing expedition ;)

10. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

kil- is that a tiralejo 9 ft rod? i saw an episode of the spanish fly when he tossed poppers with it to smaller tuna in panama and was handling them pretty easy.

yep that bottom rod looks to be one, w/ the weighted removeable butt and adjustable reel seat, i got a 9' one as well, and it really can handle much larger fish then what it looks, which is nice if they are feeding on smaller bait, you can toss smaller lures a long way with the tiralejo.

Jesse

11. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Kil and Mr Bill, Good luck to both of you guys.. I had two captains from playa Zancudo at my house last night.. We talked up the fishing.. I am jealous of you two..
    John said that the weather has just started getting really nice down there.. so you ought to have a great time.. We are going to try to get back down there sometime next year. . Be sure and take lots of pics..

12. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Mrbill,

The Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica is unlike any other place in the world. Parts of that area have never seen a human. It's one of the last frontiers left on earth. It's so thick in some of the rain forest that you can't make any progress without a machete. I went there about twenty years ago, and was in all with the beauty of the jungle going right to the water line.

You're only about 30 miles north of the Panama border from Puerto Jimenez by water. Dirt roads, and rather primitive. Hope the battle axe knows what she is getting into. No luxury, just plain and simple. Wildlife galore. Take some 100% deets for the bugs at night.

You can fish the Pacific Ocean and the Gulfo Dulce. The mouth of the Dulce and the Pacific is hot action. Make your Capt take you towards Panama for some truly unfished areas. Tons of little rock formations just offshore the mainland on the Pacific side that have never been fished. Those boats don't travel much because fish aren't pressured. It's like it used to be in the GOM hundreds of years ago. Not many fisherman and lot's of fish.

Wet season just ended a couple of weeks ago and all the species start to bite big time. I"d take extra spools of line. I don't think tackle shops even exist.

Also, last by not least, buy a couple of bottles of booze at the duty free store at departure. You're gonna need it if your accommodations aren't up to par. Cash talks down there. Bring lots of it. They love U.S. green paper.

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Hope the battle axe knows what she is getting into. Buy a couple of bottles of booze at the duty free store at departure. You're gonna need it if your accommodations aren't up to par.

She can't complain. She took charge of flights and accommdations. I took charge of the fishing. Next time I might take charge of all matters as she booked our flights first class round trip to CR.:mad:

I'm getting some lures ready for the bills. I really don't want to use bait unless it is a last resort. Finally, I will buy some JW Blue at the duty-free store.:)

Attached Files:

14. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

First class\ Business seating is worth every penny my company pays for it..:)

Good luck on your trip.

Not to question your rigging. but I ask to learn. Why have the forward hook
    in an upward posistion?

Kev

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I was rigging about a half dozen real fast and didn't even check. The point of the center hook should be down with the shank against the belly of the lure. I'll check all of them out tonight.

On stiff rigs, I like the 90 degree ones better than the 180 degree rigs.

16. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Good luck! If shibuki doesn't draw strike, remove tail hook and it should wobble on retrive. I will be south of you fishing isla de coiba.

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Good luck on your trip. When are you going to be in Isla de Coiba? I haven't been there but it's a great place and not very far from Hannibal bank. Is the airport in Isla de Coiba big enough for the larger commercial airlines?

I'm a little worried at the moment as once you land in San Jose, CR. you have to take these little hopper planes to other places. They are very strict about luggage. The rule is 30#s per person with a L+H+W=64inches. I'm over in both rules and my stuff might have to be taken by a bus which probably won't get there in time for my first day of fishing.

I'm going to try and talk the Capt into going along the Costa Rica shoreline south to the tip where Costa Rica and Panama divide at that dog leg. That point is Punta Burica. That area from what I understand is very remote and almost never fished. It's a 40 mile run from Puerto Jimenez.

18. gman

gman Senior Member

January 4th-12 we will be there fishing Panama. We are staying in David and fishing Monterosa and Hannibal Banks for 5.5 days

19. gman

gman Senior Member

Mr Bill if you dont mind some suggestions ...

1. I would strongly suggest using two spilt rings to allow the hook some room to stick on a billfish especially with short shank hooks, if not the lure may dislodge the hook at some point. That is what Nomad does in Australia.

2. I would face all tail hooks upwards like on the shibuki because if the fish strikes from behind the hook will plant itself in the upper jaw

3. I would also change the bottom hook to face downward so if the fish hits from below or side the hooks point will go into the fish instead of the lure. As it is set up now I believe the bottom hook will miss the fish. I made these changes in Cabo and they stuck great

20. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Good luck on your trip. When are you going to be in Isla de Coiba? I haven't been there but it's a great place and not very far from Hannibal bank. Is the airport in Isla de Coiba big enough for the larger commercial airlines?

I'm a little worried at the moment as once you land in San Jose, CR. you have to take these little hopper planes to other places. They are very strict about luggage. The rule is 30#s per person with a L+H+W=64inches. I'm over in both rules and my stuff might have to be taken by a bus which probably won't get there in time for my first day of fishing.

I'm going to try and talk the Capt into going along the Costa Rica shoreline south to the tip where Costa Rica and Panama divide at that dog leg. That point is Punta Burica. That area from what I understand is very remote and almost never fished. It's a 40 mile run from Puerto Jimenez.

No [email protected] coiba. It is the center of the national park. Fly to David them minivan to paradise lodge on mainland. fishing is around Coiba= hannibal bank.