I am impressed with JM Power Spell 350g rod

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 11, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Jigging Master 350g Power Spell rod is usually meant for PE4 - PE7 ( 40 - 70 lbs braid)to fish 40 - 80 lbs fish.
    However, I know the rod can take beatings of much bigger fish as I fought 120 - 130 lbs bluefin with the rod with relatively ease last year.

When I saw Yong fought a 160 - 170 lbs bluefin with the rod for 30 minutes, I was really impressed with the performance of the rod. It seems the rod didn't max out at any stage of the fight. I watched closely how the rod perform with amazement while Yong fighting.

The big tuna ran away from the boat and ran under the boat changing directions suddenly, but Yong could contain the fish relatively easily as the rod looked enough backbone and resilience.

I asekd Yong how he felt about the rod after the fight and he said "Super" with a big smile. Yong owns several high-level jigging rods including Hots Wei World and Smith AMJ 52EX and he is also the most impressed with the performance of JM 350g rod.
    You might say it is a just advertisement as I carry them.
    But I can carry any jigging rods if I want to.
    I am constantly in search of better jigging rods, but I know it will be very hard to top the rod among 350g rods for power, balance and resilience.

Here are sequences of pictures of Yong's fighting with JM 350g Power Spell rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

Great pictures kil, it almost makes me feel like I was there... :rolleyes:

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

That is a hoss on that size rod and reel.

4. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

dam that rods got some balls

5. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Amazing, I know when I went to visit kils shope I was most impressed with the powerspell... Especially the power of the 500g.

I'd like to pair up with 400g

6. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Sweet! I had my eye on the 400g also. Might be the ideal size for fish we normally catch.

Ty

7. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Ty are you thinking about what I'm thinking?

8. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Kil, I have a "no mileage" 500g should I trade down to a 350g? PF

9. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Kilsong,

We were shocked to see the size of Troy's stud tuna the other day when we came up next to you and the small reel he used on the Powerspell!! What is the drag rating for that little blue reel? I noticed that Troy palmed the spool throughout the fight which shows his experience with these big fish....and yes the rod was impressive to say the least!:)

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kilsong,

We were shocked to see the size of Troy's stud tuna the other day when we came up next to you and the small reel he used on the Powerspell!! What is the drag rating for that little blue reel? I noticed that Troy palmed the spool throughout the fight which shows his experience with these big fish....and yes the rod was impressive to say the least!:)
    His name is Yong. He fished with me for several years and he becomes very good jig fisherman.
    He used Blue Heaven L50 reel filled with PE6 YGK Ultra Jigman conneted with 100 meter of PE8 Ultra Jigman. When tuna was circling, I asked to push drag lever to Full. That is a beauty of lever drag reels as you can increase drag needed and go back to original drag setting. L50 is very small reel and the reel did a trememdous job. Jigging Master introduced similar sizes reels called PE4 and PE5. I heard the reels are big hit in South Asia and the first shipment was sold out.

11. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty are you thinking about what I'm thinking?

Yes :)

hahaha

12. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Kil: So are the 500 PS we have are over kill for these Tunas? My friend and me bought the 500 PS rods and now you got us wondering. Well I suppose the 200 lb plus Tunas will have to do. I am here on the mid atlantic and its our turm now for Bfs and well we have the 500 PS 5'2" so we will find out if the Power Spell puts a whipping on the footballs. :) Cow

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Kil: So are the 500 PS we have are over kill for these Tunas? My friend and me bought the 500 PS rods and now you got us wondering. Well I suppose the 200 lb plus Tunas will have to do. I am here on the mid atlantic and its our turm now for Bfs and well we have the 500 PS 5'2" so we will find out if the Power Spell puts a whipping on the footballs. :) Cow

Theirs no such thing as overkill when it comes to fishing

d-a

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Not at all, 500PS rods are perfect for 100 - 200 lbs tuna. Even it give enough bend for smaller tuna.
    350g rod are designed for PE4 - PE7 targeting 40 - 80 lbs fish.
    That is why I am amazed the light rod could handle big tuna.
    Don't think 500g rod is broom stick. when you see DVD in Three KIngs Island, NZ, the 500g JM rods make good curve with 40 - 60 lbs kingfish(yellowtail).
    500g JM Power Spell rods are very popular among yellowtail jig fishermen in NZ.

15. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback Kil. You do great work. We will finally be out to pour ii on the BFtuna here this week! yeah! Finally :)

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Kil

How much drag did he have on it? in a couple pictures it looks bottomed out to me where the line is touching the blank and grip.

d-a

17. monocom

monocom Senior Member

strike drag was 17lbs & full strike was 23lbs. But I still thumb the reel as 23lbs drag was not enough.

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

with any rod its really the drag youre fishing rather the the size of the fish. this tuna was not as big as the one yong caught, but the drag was again 22-24 lbs, we had the saltiga locked down

View attachment 7792

Attached Files:

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil

How much drag did he have on it? in a couple pictures it looks bottomed out to me where the line is touching the blank and grip.

d-a
    Whether it bottom out or not, I don't want to see fisherman try 350g rod for 200 lbs tuna. :)
    Line touching the grip is common for Japanese style jigging rod as the blank is short and very thin from tip to bottom even the rod has enough backbone..

20. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Whether it bottom out or not, I don't want to see fisherman try 350g rod for 200 lbs tuna. :)
    Line touching the grip is common for Japanese style jigging rod as the blank is short and very thin from tip to bottom even the rod has enough backbone..

Kil

None of my Japanese style jigging rods bottom out to where the line contacts the forearm grip or blank. The only reason any properly built rod will is if you are using it beyond it's specified drag

d-a