360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
377 Posts
Pope, Friend has one and showed me how it operates .I was impressed. However he just fishes the local lakes and fishes water that probably not much deeper than 40-50 feet. I fished PV Mex. with Rick and there was one boat that had the side scanner and he was informing out skipper when there were fish under our boat and their boat was 1 /4 mile away.

·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering how it would work looking for schools of tuna or other pelagics. You could run a weedline and see if dorado, bait, etc were in the vacinity.

To answer chf1949, the unit is supposed to work at depths of 150ft while being able to scan 360ft on either side of the boat. The down imaging works much deeper. The images I am getting are nothing less than paradigm shifting. I am using this in freshwater and am scanning bait balls, fish, structure and all of this in clear images. I was looking at what I knew was a 30lb catfish laying under a tree 50ft on my left the other day. I can see a tire on the bottom 200ft away and 40ft deep. I can drag a cursor over to it and drop a waypoint as well.

Think of all the times you are fishing a wreck and there is a snapper sitting on a piece of junk 300ft away. With this, I could see the fish, drag a cursor over to him, finish fishing the wreck and go over there when I was done.

·
1,095 Posts
Pope, thanks for the details... man, it boggles the imagination what u can do with that thing. Thanks! butch

·
2,020 Posts
they are worth thier wieght in gold. I literally spent hours and hours just driving and marking ledges/brushpiles/rockpiles/ pvc piles.. even found a set of railroad tracks on the bottom of ray hubbard and followed them across the lake and found 3 huge underwater bridges... they are simply amazing.

Pope- Fun n Sun in Hurst will have a Humminbird rep there this friday i think, for a training class. i believe its free. Mark Perry has all that info from the texas fishing forum.

next time you are over here on this side of town, let me know. I will pop my SD card in your unit and upload several hundreds of waypoints.... about 400 of them are boat lanes on Lake fork from that boat lane chip.

·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are worth thier wieght in gold. I literally spent hours and hours just driving and marking ledges/brushpiles/rockpiles/ pvc piles.. even found a set of railroad tracks on the bottom of ray hubbard and followed them across the lake and found 3 huge underwater bridges... they are simply amazing.

Pope- Fun n Sun in Hurst will have a Humminbird rep there this friday i think, for a training class. i believe its free. Mark Perry has all that info from the texas fishing forum.

next time you are over here on this side of town, let me know. I will pop my SD card in your unit and upload several hundreds of waypoints.... about 400 of them are boat lanes on Lake fork from that boat lane chip.

Thanks. I will definitely drop in for the waypoints! I will make it over there in a couple of weeks again. You know where I will be headed. We should try to fish.

Unfortunately, I may only be able to get to Fun n Sun for a few minutes on Friday. I am going to duck out for a few minutes and give it a shot. I have read many of the reps articles and he seems to know quite a bit. I really want to maximize my unit, especially since the cost is ridiculous.

·
395 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts