360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

HPA Split Ring Plier

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Boston Tangler 
#1 ·
I got the HPA split ring plier. It is pretty simple, but has special saw which can open strong and big split ring wide open even for big treble hooks.
I tested with 300 lbs big Varivas split ring with Owner ST76 5/0 and I have little problem to insert ST76 5/0 into the split ring.
The retail price is $49 including pouch. I feel the price is pretty stiff. It seems anything associated with France is pretty expensive. :)

size comparison with Duel GT plier and SSplit-Ring Pryers by Texas Tackle.

See less See more
#3 ·
Kil,

I have been on the lookout for a good pair of SR Pliers that can handle those real big, strong split rings. I have always used the Texas Tackle pliers and I want something else. Where can I find these pliers?
I have them in stock as an exclusive dealer of HPA in the US.
The price without plier pouch is $39 and $49 with pouch.
They are made in France. There is a cutter, but it is not for braid.
The plier is designed by a serious jigging/popping fishermen and I don't understand why they don't install braid cutter instead of normal cutter. I have to make some suggestions.

Texas Talcke Plier is excellent and very handy. The only problem is it can not handle the big hooks like 4/0 or 5/0 XXX strong treble hooks.

#4 ·
Yeah, I do like my pair of Texas Tackle Pliers, but like you said, they don't handle the big hooks well. I wish Texas Tackle made another size larger than they do now. Anyone know an employee there who can make a business improvement suggestion?

I'll have to get an order in with you Kil for some pliers and other things.

#5 ·
Yeah, I do like my pair of Texas Tackle Pliers, but like you said, they don't handle the big hooks well. I wish Texas Tackle made another size larger than they do now. Anyone know an employee there who can make a business improvement suggestion?

I'll have to get an order in with you Kil for some pliers and other things.
I am constantly in search of better products and I am going to have my own products if I can not find right ones.

#6 ·
I'll go ahead and say that after using the HPA plier the design of the tooth for opening the ring is creatively designed. Where the tip meets the ring, there is a bevel that will hold the ring quite nicely while opening.

you can see the bevel in pictures 2 and 3

Why they didnt not include a PE cutter has got me? ...perhaps they have a design for that in the future.

#9 ·
Kilsong,

Sorry to get off topic but do you have the HPA jig bags and popper bags in stock now? I keep checking your website but there is very little there:)
Sorry about my website. I didn't go Panama this week to finish my shop's site. I am working on it now to complete before Sept. I was told bags arrived, but Dan is in Panama. :( I probably get them when he comes back from Panama weekend.

G
#12 ·
the HPA pliers are a refined version of the Owner split ring pliers. However, the HPA pliers are a better deal since they come with a lanyard and pouch for the same price as the Owner pliers. I've used the owners for close to 2 years now with 0 complaints.

#13 ·
Hey Kil/Bret wish you guys where here. We had a lot of fun and laughs today.

Kil - HPA arrived and another shipment of CM220 also arrived. I will personally bring the HPA gear to your shop early part of next week!!! I have for you 30 Popperstore, 24 Le Dude bags and 6 Basspacks and more pliers if needed.

Agreed that the pliers would be ideal with a very high quality cutter like the accurate anvil type cutter - its in the works already. The owner of HPA is a VERY avid angler and welcomes all suggestions and feedback. He is continually refining and improving the products based on field testing and most importantly angler suggestions and feedback!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.