360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night we're cleaning out our garage so I leave my car outside my condo's gates. (approx 30 yds from my porch) We finish and go in for 5 minutes to clean up before leaving and there is a guy smashing in my window to break into the car... and a BRAND NEW 2010 company car at that!

Background: We live in Texas and have the right to shoot in many situations to protect people and property, even in 3rd party situations. I have been through concealed carry class and am simply waiting to get my license, or the pistol would have been on my hip. BUT there's a gate in between us and the threat so we were really in no imminent danger, unless you consider that we have to live, walk the dogs, take out trash etc... with trash like that on the streets and in the neighborhood.

Anyway, how would you have handled it. I'm pissed that I didn't have my gun handy and that the gate blocked my chase because I left my clicker in the house when I rushed out. In hindsight, that's probably the best thing that could have happened, but adrenaline was racing!!!

What's a good non-lethal option at a distance like that? Do I just have to stand by and take that? I certainly don't have a death wish, but I hate thinking about my girlfriend going outside the house when I'm not there.

Just wanted to get that off my chest and get some level headed response on how to handle possible future interactions without having to lawyer up or go to prison.

·
1,095 Posts
Shotgun in hand until cc permit arrives!

Notify condo security of situation... get condo to provide off duty police officers.

Get with a local cop you know and get him to tell you the 'legal' way of dealing with it in the future... hehehe!

GF carries mace, also gets cc permit.

Find a GOOD self defense course taught by local Narc officers who can teach up close handgun defense... like body-to-body use of firearm. Also good to have screen projected images of situations where you have a hg and are required to make a go/no-go decision, and actually fire or not fire at the target(s) in the projected situation.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
hindsight 20/20

1. the guy is armed, you walk out to confront him
unarmed, he shoots you, you're injured or dead

2. you're armed, confront the thief , shoots him
dead, the young DA wants to prove a point and
charge you with deadly conduct ... you're in a
world of fecal matter dealing with lawyers and the
courts ... grand jury,,, headaches, scared, lost
sleep..... go berzerk ... wife got fed up with you and
divorces your crazy butt ..... your life's screwed

ideal scenario:
you grab gun, take cover, yells at the thief that you've
got a gun and to get down on the ground, thief
takes off, but you've protected your property ....
nobody got hurt ... happy ending

this happened to me:
I woke up 4am ;heard noises outside my driveway
where F250 truck parked, didn't do anything but
continue to listen for noises.... hear noises but can't
be sure if it's wind or rabbits etc ...
Next day , realizes thief stole my $500 YETI cooler.

I could have confronted the thief with gun, but
if he's got buddies on guard with guns, I would have
been out of luck. I keep playing this scenario over
and over and ponders the "what ifs"
decided it's better to have thief take my cooler,
but I am installing 8 cameras,,,, next time thief
visits, I will view it from inside on closed circuit TV,
find vantage point on 2nd floor, shoots thief from
inside the safety of my house .... I didn't put myself
in danger, thief is gone. Happy ending.

·
5,457 Posts
The other night we're cleaning out our garage so I leave my car outside my condo's gates. (approx 30 yds from my porch) We finish and go in for 5 minutes to clean up before leaving and there is a guy smashing in my window to break into the car... and a BRAND NEW 2010 company car at that!

Background: We live in Texas and have the right to shoot in many situations to protect people and property, even in 3rd party situations. I have been through concealed carry class and am simply waiting to get my license, or the pistol would have been on my hip. BUT there's a gate in between us and the threat so we were really in no imminent danger, unless you consider that we have to live, walk the dogs, take out trash etc... with trash like that on the streets and in the neighborhood.

Anyway, how would you have handled it. I'm pissed that I didn't have my gun handy and that the gate blocked my chase because I left my clicker in the house when I rushed out. In hindsight, that's probably the best thing that could have happened, but adrenaline was racing!!!

What's a good non-lethal option at a distance like that? Do I just have to stand by and take that? I certainly don't have a death wish, but I hate thinking about my girlfriend going outside the house when I'm not there.

Just wanted to get that off my chest and get some level headed response on how to handle possible future interactions without having to lawyer up or go to prison.

Unfortunately theirs nothing but call the cops that you can do with out some sort of recourse; at least in the state I live in, without any immanent danger to someones life.

d-a

·
223 Posts
I have a ccp and carry regularly. Laws vary by state, but where I live, must be life in danger, not just property. Tough situation, as even if you take cover and yell as was suggested, you are guilty of "brandishing" in my state.

Probably best taking cover as was suggested, armed, and yell at the thief to cease and desist without mentioning you are armed. That way, you are not brandishing, and hopefully the guy just runs off. If he does decide to turn and fight, then it is defense of life.

Always good to take a defensive class as was suggested, and maintain proficiency with your weapon of choice. You must also attain the mental state of mind that you can actually finish the deal--this is much harder part than you might imagine if you have never been in the situation. Great to be armed, but if you don't practice and have the proper mental state, you put yourself at risk and better off taking cover and calling police. Only if you have practiced, and are proficient should you attempt to use a weapon. Many armed citizens are shot/injured, sometimes even by their own weapon, so practice, both mental and physical is a must.

·
2,622 Posts
Not a popular response but I do not think it's worth killing someone over property. I have no use for thieves but do you want to spend the rest of your life seeing his dead body every time you close your eyes? It would have been a great time to set off a vehicular alarm or shine a big light.

One more thought shooting a paper target will teach you how to use a weapon it won't teach you how to shoot a person.

·
659 Posts
Texas is a whole other place guys! This state still abides by what is called the "castle doctrine" or the concept that you have every right ot protect your home which by extension here includes your vehicle. I believe that the language here reads from imminent threat and does not specify life or property(they are essentially one and the same here)! I would have had no problem shooting the guy, but that is just me. Former Marine, and the training never goes away. The only way to deal with a threat is to eliminate said threat!

·
899 Posts
Texas is a whole other place guys! This state still abides by what is called the "castle doctrine" or the concept that you have every right ot protect your home which by extension here includes your vehicle. I believe that the language here reads from imminent threat and does not specify life or property(they are essentially one and the same here)! I would have had no problem shooting the guy, but that is just me. Former Marine, and the training never goes away. The only way to deal with a threat is to eliminate said threat!

I do have a CHL in Texas, and basically the law says you can use the weapon to protect yourself or your property or to stop someone from commiting a felony. In your case someone was commiting a felony against your property, but as someone stated quite clearly above, you've still got to sleep at night, so if you take somebody out, is that a decision that you can live with for the rest of your life? Was it worth it for the price of a window? Also, I further agree that some young DA will still probably try to extract a pound of flesh from you regardless of how in-the-right you are. Basically, we've become a nation of wimps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If possible, move to a safer place/subdivision.

this place is temporary and that is the plan but in reality, where is it safe? People were being car jacked at gun point in highland park for like 3 weeks before they finally caught him.

I can't stress to my girl enough keeping your head on a swivel and surveying her surroundings at every stoplight etc...

I agree with most that was said. I have come to the conclusion that without the gate the guy is toast and I am comfortable with that. If he's desperate enough to do that, what stops him from actually hurting someone next time? With the gate, I am in no real danger so I'm 50/50 going to jail due to there being no real danger. Depends on the 1st on scene officer and what he percieves.

I will be buying several cans of mace for the cars and dog leashes so that it's always in hand outside the house.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
find vantage point on 2nd floor, shoots thief from
inside the safety of my house .... I didn't put myself
in danger, thief is gone. Happy ending.

Funny and kinda sick at the same time!!!:) Notice the rifle in my pic. It's on at 50 and with the 75gr HP TAPs that it stays loaded with, he probably wouldn't even have twiched.

Is "You will be ear-holed with an AR from an elevated position" a good replacement for your boring ol Brinks Security sign in the yard?;)

·
223 Posts
One more thought shooting a paper target will teach you how to use a weapon it won't teach you how to shoot a person.

This is what I meant from attaining a mental state. Most people will not be able to do it without mental training. This is why many people are disarmed and shot with their own weapon in the moment of truth.

I also agree it is not worth it to shoot first in this situation, even if the law allows. If you take cover, and yell at the guy, chances are he will leave, which discontinues whatever damage he was in the process of doing. Shooting him doesn't undo the damage. I personally would not shoot unless under personal physical threat, or threat to someone around me. Broken window is not a reason to kill someone in my opinion, even if it is legal, and believe me, its not because I am a wimp. Remember that just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right. You have to live with the consquences of your actions for the rest of your life.

·
870 Posts
I went thru something similar last year with some punks vandalizing one of our cars, and I made the decision at that time that it's not worth killing over a window. Now, if someone crosses the line, and comes in to my home action would be taken.

·
659 Posts
Howard brings up an interesting point, it does come down to where you draw "the line". All bs aside, that is a very personal choice that is going to be different for just about everyone. Taking a life is not an easy choice, hope for your sakes you are never faced with it, and once done it is permanent-you will have to live with it. That said I do believe that scumbags should not be allowed to breed! They have made a choice to behave in a certain way and I personally have no problem allowing them to live(or not) with the choice they make if they threaten my family/life/property! And I don't want to hear a bunch of liberal whining about how society forced them to where they are/money issues/life not fair! I have personally lived on both ends of the societal and economic spectrum and can say from first hand experience that they are making a choice to be predators in society instead of working to better themselves. Therefore they get no slack in my neck of the woods, I came from the bottom of the ladder and never once have I ever even thought about taking from others to get what I wanted/needed.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
to shoot or not to shoot, keep this quote in mind

"make sure you're right, then go right ahead"

I almost shot a guy once, when he and his buddies was playing
chicken with me, he was in a POS F-150 and cut inches in front of my
250,,, he went on to do this to several other vehicles, the second time
around I cut in front of him, he pulls up next to me and i was waiting
for him to make a stupid move and it would have been all over for him
Somehow standing my ground scared the fecal matter out of him and
he weasel away

reason for my use of deadly force : assault with a deadly weapon (his vehicle)

If I had shot him:
yes, i would have slept fine that night, no, it will not bother me one bit,
and yes i would do it again

I am a nice guy, but don't *uck with me

·
797 Posts
i wasn't there and i'm not an armchair quarterback so this post is pretty much worthless.......

i will say that you'll probably re-live this incident over-n-over so many times in your head that you eventually come up with something that'll give you confidence in how you'd re-act should the same scenario ever pop up again...........

try not to dwell on this one too much

·
797 Posts
Bill- this is what happens when we are all cooped up at home for too long and not out fishing!:D

no sh!t :D ......... i been geekin' for some salt!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts