How Would Yall Set Up This Reel?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by red34, Feb 11, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I have a new Quantum Aruba ALD30WPTs. Quantum Performance Tuned Fishing Tackle Quantum says it holds 600 yards of 50 lb line and boasts A TON of drag. I am in the process of building an all-roller rod on a Calstar 6460XH blank, which is 6 ft and is rated 40-100#. I had planned on using 600 yards of 130# JB Hollow and a top shot of however much 80# mono will fit but I’m starting to have second thoughts… How would you guys recommend filling that reel to get maximum line capacity, but still hold heavy duty line with the stopping power of that drag and that heavy rod?

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have a new Quantum Aruba ALD30WPTs. Quantum Performance Tuned Fishing Tackle Quantum says it holds 600 yards of 50 lb line and boasts A TON of drag. I am in the process of building an all-roller rod on a Calstar 6460XH blank, which is 6 ft and is rated 40-100#. I had planned on using 600 yards of 130# JB Hollow and a top shot of however much 80# mono will fit but I’m starting to have second thoughts… How would you guys recommend filling that reel to get maximum line capacity, but still hold heavy duty line with the stopping power of that drag and that heavy rod?

I dont know if it will hold 600yds of 130 hollow, but if all your going to topshot it with is 80lb I would put 80-100lb braid on it

d-a

3. red34

red34 Guest

I dont know if it will hold 600yds of 130 hollow, but if all your going to topshot it with is 80lb I would put 80-100lb braid on it

d-a

I'm trying to figure out what mono the 80# Hollow and 130# Hollow braids would be equivalant to from JB. Do any of yall know?

So you think 80# Hollow directly spliced to 80# mono would be a more sutiable match for this set-up?

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

If you are planning to fish 80lb top shot, I would follow DA advise with 80lb JB .

If you are planning to fish 100lb or 130lb mono top shot, I would go with 130lb JB Hollow.

make a top shot and do loop to loop will be the fastest way to change out top shot instead of direct splice. JMO

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I'm trying to figure out what mono the 80# Hollow and 130# Hollow braids would be equivalant to from JB. Do any of yall know?

So you think 80# Hollow directly spliced to 80# mono would be a more sutiable match for this set-up?

I dont know about the equilivents, but Basil at BHP Tackle - Wind-On Leaders - Topshots - Fluorocarbon Wind-On Leaders - Hollow Spectra would.

Also for 80lb I might would ditch the idea of hollow(more expensive) and go with a solid with a bimini twist for a loop 2 loop with a windon leader

d-a

6. red34

red34 Guest

Well I just looked up the prices of the Hollow Braids below 130# and WOW!! Looks like I'll be going solid spectra and tying a Bimini if I go below 130#

If you are planning to fish 80lb top shot, I would follow DA advise with 80lb JB .

If you are planning to fish 100lb or 130lb mono top shot, I would go with 130lb JB Hollow.

make a top shot and do loop to loop will be the fastest way to change out top shot instead of direct splice. JMO

I'm thinking 600 yds of 80# solid spectra and a 60-80# topshot should be big enough for meduim trolling and chunking in San Diego right??

Also, since I'll mainly be fishing the mono topshot and the spectra will be there for backing, is there any reason to choose JB over PP or any other solid spectra? Reason I ask is some brands like JB and Izor seem to be alot thicker than the other brands, which would cut down some of the capacity.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Well I just looked up the prices of the Hollow Braids below 130# and WOW!! Looks like I'll be going solid spectra and tying a Bimini if I go below 130#

I'm thinking 600 yds of 80# solid spectra and a 60-80# topshot should be big enough for meduim trolling and chunking in San Diego right??

I haven't been out of SD but I don't see where it wouldn't be a problem for anything under 200lbs

I would look into the Diawa boat braid 100lb(its a true 100lb)

d-a

8. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Get the 600 yards of the 130# JB hollow and call it a day.

I have a 50s (rated for 550 yards of 50# mono) that I put 600 yards of 130# on and still have room for about 60-75 yards of 100# Momoi Diamond or ~100 yard of TBG 80#.

km

9. pcww

pcww Junior member

I just bought an aruba 30ptsx off of ebay the other day and spooled it with JB 130. I ended up getting about 500 yards on it with room for a 100 ft/80lb windon and its just a standard 30 size not a wide. I'm interested to see how the reel does...

10. red34

red34 Guest

Get the 600 yards of the 130# JB hollow and call it a day.

I have a 50s (rated for 550 yards of 50# mono) that I put 600 yards of 130# on and still have room for about 60-75 yards of 100# Momoi Diamond or ~100 yard of TBG 80#.

km

That sounds like the set-up I'm trying to match. I wanted the 30 size but the 50 capacity. I have a Tyrnos 20 with 500 yards of straight 100# with a short wind-on that I'll use to drop to AJs but I don't think that would be a very good trolling set-up. I think these two outfits would be pretty close as far as performance goes, but I think the 30W will do a little more when it comes to marlin or bigger tuna. My only worry was that the 130# JB wouldn't leave enough room for a very long mono topshot. Thanks for clarifying!