How well would a Stradic 8000FH work for light jigging

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Atlantaking, May 21, 2008.

1. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

So I got a really good deal on a Stradic 8000FH with a spare spool. I know it's not a super heavy duty reel, but the specs I found on it shows that it should hold 300 yards of 50lb braided line and it'll put out around 22-24lb of drag. How well would it work for the lighter side of jigging, say with a 6' rod and 200-300g jigs? Any idea of the longevity or should I just be the guinea pig? :)

2. papio

papio Senior Member

Great reel!! I've had no problems with it yet. I generally use 8000 size reels for all light to heavy use, with larger reels on standby for monster fish. I string all my 8000 with 65lb TFL braid. I love my Stradic 8000FH. My poor Saragosa 8000F still waiting for some use time ha ha.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I haven't used the 8000, but I own 2 4000 s, and one each 2500 and 1000, and have used the 4000 s (older models) inshore for years. I have caught some pretty sizable bull reds and jacks in heavy current--mostly on 30 pound Power Pro), while rock-walking the jetties. (I have also been spooled more than a couple of times.) But by extrapolation, I would think if the 4000 could handle a 15 pound jack in heavy current, then the 8000 should do even better offshore. The main difference in my situation is that that nothing took the drag out with blazing speed like a tuna or a wahoo.

Russ

4. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I started out jigging with a Stradic 8000 in 2006. I use it on 6 trips and really abused it while I was saving up for a Stella. I've caught mid size AJ's, 30lb Kings, and a 20lb African Pompano. I pretty much locked down the drag on every fish. I still have the reel and it's still in perfect working order. I did clean the reel after every trip. (drag washers not sealed.)

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

CT,

What are you getting ready to jig up? =)

6. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Dunno. It was a deal I couldn't pass up :p I figure I'd stick it on a 5'8" Hopper rod (250-500g) and see what I can hook with it! :D

7. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

whats the diffrence between the FI and FH model?

8. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

FH is the older model. FI is the 08 model with sealed drag and the beveled spool.

9. bigfishjaeck

bigfishjaeck Junior member

Stradic (my version) is a great reel for jigging... I take care of my drag as it gets jerky when wet (not sealed). If you are aiming for the big guys... try and step up (Saragosa / stella). Nonetheless, the Stradic 8k will do the job.... Remember to clean the drag washers so they don't stick (moisture gets to it). I've had encounters with large tiger sharks eating my tuna and getting hooked. The reel will get hot, but the drag (as long as its not wet) will remain smooth. I tried applying some grease on the drag washers... it works but you'll loose some drag capacity.

10. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Just got the Stradic in the mail today...sweet! Nice and (relatively :eek:) beefy with level line lay. Gonna call up Smooth Drag and get some Carbontex drags for it. Shimano's stats lists the 8000FH as having 25lbs of drag; can I realistically expect to get that, or would 18-22lb be the max sustainable?

Also, would a Hopper 500g 5'8" (HOPS-500FH-58) rod be too heavy with that?

11. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

Well I have been looking at a 8000 size reel for my trip tp the sea of cortez. Went into Gander MNT today and saw the new Stradic 8000FI. It was a really sweet reel at $199. When the guy said they had a fathers day sale with $20 back for every $100 you buy I could not pass it up. $160 for that reel was a great deal. Now I have to decied what to spool it with. Thinking of 50# or 65 with a 10 yard top shot for throwing Iron. Any thoughts.

12. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Sadly, my Shimano Stradic 8000FH mounted on my new Mudhole jigging rod (CBVJ5810 5'8" 500g) It'll pull one end of the 20lb weight off the ground, but won't go any further. Even with the drag tightened as far down (as I dare without breaking the drag knob :eek: ), it'll still slip when trying to pick up this weight.
    [​IMG]