How to work Shibuki

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Shibuke lures become hot items for tuna popping.
    When I fished on the Big E out of Freeport, TX past weekend, I was surprised many guys on the boat knew about these lures and had them.8*
    There are two distinctive types of Shubuki. One with lip and one without lip as you see in the picture below.

without lip
    This lure is believed to be designed when casting toward boiling tuna. Jerking/cranking or jerking/pausing is very effective when using this lure. I could be an excellent lures for boiling bluefin in Cape Cod Bay. I tested this lure twice in Gulf of Mexico and had limited success though I had some nice yft and blackfin on it.

with lip
    You can use this lure by cranking fast, jerking/cranking or jerking/pausing. All are working. This lure was very effective in Gulf of Mexico for me. I even had a hit on this lure when it sit still while I was trying to untangle with other line.

Any lure can be used in different way. Let's hear about your experience with these fabulous lures.

[​IMG]

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I find that the lipless sinking in order to work effectively you need to let sit a few seconds become working back in. If you crank fast after hitting the water the lure rides the top more than if you let it sink. The lipless dives automatically therefore no need to estimate depth you are at. I got more hits on my shibuki when letting it sink and pausing after each interval of retrieve.

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

On a drifting boat, I like holding the tip of the rod close to the water. Cranking very fast non stop with left to right swinging of the rod tip. (model with lip) I've found that all species will attack the lure. Bad thing is the toothy critters. Cuda's and hoo's will also attack these lures.

It's the best inshore trolling plug I've ever used. Inshore trolling with the shibuki should always have a wire leader. Kingfish will hit this lure way before a rapala, russell lure or lip-ed mirrorlure. This year I had at least a dozen kingfish and Jackfish hit it while trolling.

It's a expensive lure, but it produces. Well worth the price. Don't leave port without a few in your tackle box.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Mrbill,

That is a good point I forgot to mention, working it with rod tip down is more effective than pointed up. We had complaints from deckhands to point rod tip up so lines had less chance of tangling but we managed =)

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i need to get some of these. Kil caught fish both times on the trips I fished with him on with this lure. It does produce very well.

I used another surface lure, and tried all of the aforementioned techniques. I think slower retrieve worked better on yellowfin, at least with my lure.

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

It does hurt to see when you get broke off though. Ouch! Bye-Bye lure.

7. papio

papio Senior Member

hey guys, which had better hookups single or trebles hooks?

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

On a drifting boat, I like holding the tip of the rod close to the water. Cranking very fast non stop with left to right swinging of the rod tip. (model with lip) I've found that all species will attack the lure. Bad thing is the toothy critters. Cuda's and hoo's will also attack these lures.

It's the best inshore trolling plug I've ever used. Inshore trolling with the shibuki should always have a wire leader. Kingfish will hit this lure way before a rapala, russell lure or lip-ed mirrorlure. This year I had at least a dozen kingfish and Jackfish hit it while trolling.

It's a expensive lure, but it produces. Well worth the price. Don't leave port without a few in your tackle box.
    Here is another tiny lure from Tacklehous. This lure is designed when tuna feeding very small baits. You can cast them or troll them. They claim this lure is effective as soon as it touches water and you can troll as fast as 10 knot. Anyway, Japanese guys very good at advertisement.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

what about yozuri crystal minnow magnum? can they withstand the power of a big tuna?

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Mrbill,

That is a good point I forgot to mention, working it with rod tip down is more effective than pointed up. We had complaints from deckhands to point rod tip up so lines had less chance of tangling but we managed =)
    I don't think I made a good impression to mates as I had to say something to mates on three different occasions. It is a due when you fish on a party boat for the first time. :)
    1. When he asked me to hold my rod high for popping. Laster on I saw guys around me popping like I did. :) Depending on what poppers you use, the postion of rod tips is determined.
    2. When I was asked to run to the left not to tangle with other guy who also was fighting tuna even tuna made a run to the right. :eek:
    3. When he tried to hold my braided line with bare hands to lift tuna which was still green. I know he knew what he was doing. But I've been so many accidents occured to experienced fishermen because of braided lines.

11. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

you guys sound like you are working lures for bass fishing :) pretty soon, yall will be throwing 10 ounce spinnerbaits :)

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

thats not a bad idea :)

i think when they said to keep the tips high they assumed everyone was popping, when in fact most of us has swimbaits.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

you guys sound like you are working lures for bass fishing :) pretty soon, yall will be throwing 10 ounce spinnerbaits :)
    I think bass fishermen have anvantage for popping tuna. The only difference between bass popping and tuna popping is tuna are a little bigger and lures are a little bigger. :) If you mastered the walk-the-dog technique for Heddon's Zara Spook, you'll outfish other fishermen on a tuna boat. :)

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I think bass fishermen have anvantage for popping tuna. The only difference between bass popping and tuna popping is tuna are a little bigger and lures are a little bigger. :) If you mastered the walk-the-dog technique for Heddon's Zara Spook, you'll outfish other fishermen on a tuna boat. :)

of course, you're assuming they're not fishing with bass tackle, as we saw several times on the Big E!!!! :eek:

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil: This is a GREAT thread. If you don't have enough deck hands telling you how to fish, I will try to help! :)

I asked Sami some time ago about how to work the Shibuki and he replied: "...rod tip down retreive and twitch with a sudden stop." Of course, I had not specified lipless or lipped. He also said this was the way to fish the Skagit Designs Lip Slider, so maybe he was referring to only the lipped version.

Has anyone used or had any succes with the lip slider or the Tackle House CS-130, and if so, how did you fish it? (Sami recommends that if tuna are shy, you blind cast and let it sink to the indicated depth, then steady retrieve with the rod tip down.) This is a very dense, heavy lure for its size and almost resembles a jig.

Russ

Amen to that bass tackle--we saw one guy...but I promised to quit *****ing about that. :)

It seems to me that you would want folks working poppers to hold their rods up and folks who are working the sub-surface to hold them down--this would avoid tangles--not cause them--just my opinion.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I used the Skagit on one fish this trip. I found it in my box after my trip to North Carolina (Glenn - I think I accidentally grabbed this from you). I caught one blackfin, but when I went to take the hook out, the treble hook snapped! I'm not sure what kind of hook it was, but the moral is to check your hooks for corrosion before fishing!

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Kil: This is a GREAT thread. If you don't have enough deck hands telling you how to fish, I will try to help! :)

I asked Sami some time ago about how to work the Shibuki and he replied: "...rod tip down retreive and twitch with a sudden stop." Of course, I had not specified lipless or lipped. He also said this was the way to fish the Skagit Designs Lip Slider, so maybe he was referring to only the lipped version.

Has anyone used or had any succes with the lip slider or the Tackle House CS-130, and if so, how did you fish it? (Sami recommends that if tuna are shy, you blind cast and let it sink to the indicated depth, then steady retrieve with the rod tip down.) This is a very dense, heavy lure for its size and almost resembles a jig.

Russ

Amen to that bass tackle--we saw one guy...but I promised to quit *****ing about that. :)

It seems to me that you would want folks working poppers to hold their rods up and folks who are working the sub-surface to hold them down--this would avoid tangles--not cause them--just my opinion.

I would assume you would work it same way. I made bigger spalsh with popper with rod tip down than up =)

18. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I've been on the Big E for the 2 most wide open bites it's ever had. In both cases, I'd say over 80% of the YFT were landed on poppers and neither time do I remember a single tangle between popper fishermen. On the other hand, jig fishermen working jigs that are way too light (on the down current side) are the plague rats of party boat tangles.

And re: bass fishermen popping for tuna: a shibuki is just a tarted up bang-o-lure. :D Maybe someone'll break out the jig and pigs for grouper.

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Sea Crappie: I carefully read the brochure about the sophisticated design and features of the Shibuki, and didn't see anything at all in there about any bang-o-lure! :)

20. jureal

jureal Senior Member

OMG! Here I placed an order with Randy and now I see this thread!! :eek:

This jigging and popping is getting expensive!