How to serve a hook?

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by tnhunter, May 13, 2009.

1. tnhunter

tnhunter Junior member

Hello,
    I am new to this jigging and popping and am hooked on it!!!! I have ordered most of the goodies that I need to get started. I am making my own assit hooks and not sure how to serve a hook with 700# kevlar or JB 800# hollow spectra. I also have ordered owner SJ41 hooks but the kevlar is big for the hook when doubled. Not sure how to serve a hook. Help me out guys.
    Thanks Chris

2. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

3. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Andrew's link to Anglers Pro Shop is the one I use. As far as using 700# kevlar, why so heavy of a line? Btw, that link to Rons Tackle for kevlar is great. I received my shipment and the stuff is cheap and an excellent material for assist hooks.

As far as serving the hook, it is not necessary to do that but I do it anyways. I just use rod wrapping thread for the serving of the tag ends and then use a puller method to finish it off. The puller method is the same as what is used to finish off a rod wrapping. In fly tying, it is called a whipped finish to finish off the wraps on a fly.

The whipped finish:

Wrightsville Beach Fishing & Fly Tying, Whip Finish with no tool

4. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I do all of the above,
    And started with a heavy Kelvar also with a , Beleive it or not
    mossey oak hollow 200 lb line for Bow fishing, for pulled through loop.
    But now tying some with Kelvar No. 30 @ 150 kg or 330 lbs from
    APS, although it can not be spliced\interlooped like a hollow. Unless you are
    Jureal who can splice almost anything :)
    Back to the point I use a bobbin with A or C rod wrap thread to serve the
    tag end to the shank of the hook. This only takes a few mins. (And
    tackle building is for spare time...).....
    Back to the point again.. I feel one tooth can hit that wrap on 1 thread
    and the deal is lost. Many items can keep the wrap thread inplace if 1 is cut.
    I would want to have others list options.
    From something in the garage to somthing secret.
    Super glue
    liquid elect tape
    epoxy, 2 part or even rod wrap
    RTV.
    Gorilla Glue
    Heat shrink elect tube

Done typeing.:)
    Others to comment?:confused:

Kev

5. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Actually, Kev, I tried but there is no hollowness to Kevlar :) :) If you use the overhand knot first, there should not be any problems with toothy characters. However, Chris wants to use that 800lb stuff and that will not go through the hook eye nor will a overhand knot come down to a respectable size, thus the need to only use the serve. I personally find that 30 or 50 lb spectra would be better as a serving material but since kevlar is better against the tooth, perhaps go to a fly shop and buy some kevlar thread and use that? Just an idea. For glue, some slow drying super glue would be my choice. I recently started to use a super glue from Japan called Tsuremejin (sp) that I bought at Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos, CA. They have a web site and will ship. It is very slow drying and makes it more flexible than ordinary super glue. This has been my glue of choice since it was recommended by Capt. G. ( the infamous tackle master from Japan).

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

7. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

this is how i do it:
    YouTube - Jigging Master Assist Hook Kevlar Cord Tying
    Is that you on the video ? Nice, another new idea to tie assist hook.
    But single overhand knot is easier and faster to tie on the boat when you got hot bite and run out pre-rig assist hook.

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

yep thats yours truly in the video.

I totally agree with the use of the overhand knot. When on a jumpy boat and hot bite, I will totally tie the simplest type I can.

This video is to show just one more fun way of tying up the assist to hook. Its only good for when you have time and want to have fun.

The overhand knot/tying assist cord to hook is probably even easier than tying the mainline/mono/leader to your jig.

glad you enjoyed the link. I just took it out of here so I can save it for its own thread! :cool:

9. Dave Nowlin

Dave Nowlin Senior Member

I'm using 200# JB Hollow in red. I use a latch needle for splicing hollow core. I take a 12 inch piece and splice it so that there is a loop in the end. I make sure the inner and outer layer ends are the same length and then tie an overhand knot in the end opposite the loop. I pass the loop through the eye of the hook and then tie an overhand knot over the hook shank below the eye of the hook. After pulling this up tight, I then tie another overhand knot in the tag end and cover all this with a piece of heat shrink tubing. Jerry Brown says that kevlar degrades in sunlight but spectra doesn't. I suppose I could use 500# or more but since my fishing line is JB Hollow 80# and I use 20# of drag what would I accomplish. Do you think I can break 200# spectra with 20# of drag? Food for thought. If your motive is to make things biteproof, why not insert wire in the 80# hollow?

Dave Nowlin

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Dave it's not breaking it that I'm worried about. Its the abrasion resistance I'm after when using 500 or 700lb spectra or Kevlar.

Why not wire in the 80lb? It's hard to put a haywire twist on both ends with the hollow core covering.

d-a

11. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I like to snell the hooks. Don't really have a reason why other than I like the way it looks. To the eye, it appears very strong !!

Here's the technique. I go up to step 5.

Here's the Link assist

I've used JB 300lb Hollow Core, doubled up or pulled into a loop, then snelled. So many ways to skin a cat. It gets finished with a few drops of Zap Glue.

12. Dave Nowlin

If you want to use wire sdouble crimp one end with a thimble and then put the hollow over the wire and bunch it toward the crimped end then double crimp the other end along with a thimble and slide the hollow over the wire. Then cement both ends of the hollow.

13. Dave Nowlin

If abrasion is your main concern, I have some 1,117# test spectra cord that I get from a mountain climbing outfit out of Bozeman, Montana. It has a hollow outer sleeve with cord inside, all spectra. In fact as hard as it is to cut, I expect it would also be hard to bite through.

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

If abrasion is your main concern, I have some 1,117# test spectra cord that I get from a mountain climbing outfit out of Bozeman, Montana. It has a hollow outer sleeve with cord inside, all spectra. In fact as hard as it is to cut, I expect it would also be hard to bite through.

The Kevlar assist cord I have has stood up to numerous Kings and cuda's over the years. I have only had one hook come up missing and that was with spectra and most likely a wahoo considering the location I was fishing. I personally think the wire assist's will cut down on your hook up ratio since its not flexible like the spectra or kevlar cords.

d-a

15. Dave Nowlin

If the Kevlar can indeed stop bitethroughs, why not sleeve the last 3 feet of your leader with it when dealing with fish that are toothy?