360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and to tuna fishing. The bluefin bite is heating up in NC and I have some time off for the holidays. I decided to buy some Penn 80's Got a good deal on the net for $650ish new and 2 used with nice rods in the $400 range. Spooled them up with 200lb braid & 50yd 200lb topshot of mono.After recovering from this spending frenzy, i have saved enough for fuel for the week. (even with Christmas on the horizon) What are some options for rigging.

Will slow trolling dead baits (hoos & squid) work?

Will bottom chunking work?

I have read some reports from the northeast where they jig up schoolies, I really enjoy jigging for grouper and other bottom dwellers, would like to try this also.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
796 Posts
Bluewater candy jags in pink/crystal or all crystal have been good colors to put in front of horse ballyhoo.. Some people like 6-7 knots for bft but try taking it down just a hair to around 5 knots and you might see a big difference also running a planer is a good idea

·
726 Posts
I agree with Mike "Silver 335" as far as lures are concerned!!
I would also put out a "Split-Tailed mullet" down deep!!

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Mike "Silver 335" as far as lures are concerned!!
I would also put out a "Split-Tailed mullet" down deep!!
Thanks, I'll run a split tail on the downrigger. Hope to have enough money for fuel after buying all the gear (even though for me rigging is half the fun).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts