How To Refill Your McCormick Throwaway Salt Or Pepper Grinder!

Discussion in 'Food and Recipe' started by Scuba Chris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Scuba Chris

Scuba Chris Active Member

How To Refill Your McCormick Throwaway Salt Or Pepper Grinder!

Being a fisherman i enjoy using my Sea Salt & Peppercorn grinders for cooking fish. Of course i only use McCormick as i grew-up on that brand. But also i used to throw the bottle away when it was empty. That really seemed wasteful. So out of frustration i tried to yank the top off, and it popped off!

I tried this on my McCormick Peppercorn grinder and was pleased to see the bottles were the same. So i bought my favorite sea salt crystals Hawaiian Sea Salt to refill my former throwaway bottle. So this will save you MONEY. You no longer have to throw away the empty McCormick bottles anymore. Just wanted to share this. Thanks:)

Attached Files:

Gonefishings likes this.
  2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Cool
    I always threw them away.
    Going to try that tonight
    Thanks

Scuba Chris likes this.

3. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

The grinder wears with use & grind size rapidly increases ........this changes the pulse length of the condiment flavour & the coarseness becomes quite distracting in texture in some dishes.
    try comparing the grind size between the tail end of one bottle & the start of a new one with salt on a black paper/cloth to get an idea of the growth of the grind size with refills.
    The Salt grinder wears faster than the pepper grinder.Most of the disposable grinder faces are just a hard plastic these days
    been there done that...........max 2 refills for salt & 3 refills for pepper before discard..........usually with stuff inside as sick of the coarseness............ so savings went in the bin.
    Went back to single disposable use.
    Condiments are very personal of course.
    give it a try.............refill a couple of times & then compare to a new one.
    Bottom line is that manufacturers only design operating equipment with materials that last for the original contents where cost options in materials are available...........so wear in grinder faces is significant & more rapid as the initial sharp teeth of the grinder face wears down ( the reason there is that the crushed faces of what you are grinding becomes sharper than the grinder teeth & point loads on the grinder face increases, increasing wear more rapidly ).
    We all should realize of course that we are swallowing that grinder face wear.:D

iyaman, north coast and HungryJack like this.
  4. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Along the lines of Dennis' comment.

Have read several studies about Sea Salt
    containing micro plastic particles in concerting quantities.
    Comes from all the plastic in the ocean breaking down.

Mined sea salt, like Himilayan Pink won't have this,
    but salt that is produced through evaporation will.

Although this evaporated salt below is my favorite.
    Use it as a finishing salt only,
    very tasty.
    Le-Saunier-De-Camargue-Fleur-de-Sel_0.jpg

5. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Himalayan pink!!!!!!
    my youngest loves it
    my wife & I razz him that its Yak P*ss salt.
    Oh Damn he's just caught me typing this. :rolleyes:

north coast likes this.
  6. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Yak piss salt, funny.
    My friend tells his son, milk, is cow piss.

Don't know if its the case in OZ,
    but here is the US, the price of the Pink Himalayan
    which was towards the higher end,
    has dropped in price dramatically recently.
    Similar to regular bulk sea salt pricing.
    I see it discount store like Costco for maybe
    15% than reg sea salt.

We have a couple of stores in NYC that specialize in salt.
    https://themeadow.com/collections/all-salt

Also have a company that was making sea salt from NYC
    waters on a rooftop in Brooklyn,
    although I would not want to eat salt harvested from its waters.
    They tried and it turned out grey in color.

So, now, these environmentally conscious hipsters
    get their sea water brought to them from 30 miles offshore
    to make the salt. Carbon footprint be damned !

Considering that 25 miles out is the last point
    for inbound commercial vessels to discharge garbage and ground up refuse
    from their ships, seems like a good zone to collect
    water for salt production.

7. buddyclaude

buddyclaude Senior Member

For those who are living in a cave, here is the Salt Bae Meme Original video.

Between my son and I we have been through many many spice grinders. I like the one-use grinders and have refilled them in the past. Son is very pleased with the products from OXO with ceramic grinders. The adjustment ability allows for the perfect coarseness for your gustation preference. He is as neurotic about his cooking and grilling as we are about fishing gear. He is legend in the Big Green Egg world and the EGGhead forum. (see Travis Brisket Method) I have to agree with his assessment. Finding the best pepper seems to the most important imo.

https://www.oxo.com/products/preparing/salt-pepper-sugar/salt-pepper-grinder-set

Mmmmm I never thought about the plastic contamination from evaporated sea water. Ick

My nephew was a charter captain at St. Johns USVI. Now he works construction there. He told me about the Salt Pond there. Doubtless it is plastic contaminated but maybe not.

http://newsofstjohn.com/2015/05/19/harvesting-salt-at-salt-pond/

8. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-around-world-contaminated-by-plastic-studies

There is an island in the British Virgin Islands called Salt Island,
    its main purpose is to produce sea salt.
    Visited the island 15 years ago, there was 3 people living on it at the time.
    I had rented sailboat for 10 days and did the cruising thing
    around the islands.
    In fact, I rented a 60' Catamaran sailboat :)
    not a mono hull.
    Bareboat, ie, no crew, I was el capitan.

saltguy2.gif

9. buddyclaude

Back in '75 when I was attending a dental conference in Berchtesgaden Germany I took a tour to Salzburg Austria. How fun and educational it was to take the long slide down into the bowels of the earth to see where people once worked in the salt mines. "The mine has been worked for over 7,000 years."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallein_Salt_Mine

10. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Salt was more valuable than gold,
    when they were still only using mono hulls ;)

Pepper was also used as currency in several counties
    and a store of wealth.

Spice trade of ancient times is a very interesting subject.

11. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Thank you BC for the headsup on the OXO grinders , have not seen them in the shops here , but found them online...........small quality ceramic grinder is a worthwhile investment.

12. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Was in Manhattan last night with some friends,
    we were headed to Fogo de Chão, a Brazilian Steakhouse.
    Two doors away, was Nusr-Et, the Salt Bae restaurant,
    and he was in the house.

Not my idea, but two of the group wanted to try Nusr-Et,
    despite the poor reviews it has received.
    Fairly busy, but not packed.

Turned out to be one of the most annoying restaurants I
    have ever been in.
    Non stop camera flashes going off
    wherever Salt Bae walked.
    If he was cutting steak at your table,
    all the people at the surrounding tables would be
    turned towards yours, with phones in hand, either video
    or still shots, for the entire time he would be at a table.

Your time with Salt Bae at your table is determined
    by the type of meal/steak you order.
    Cheap out with the $30 burger, you get no Salt Bae
    action at your table.
    $100 steak gets you a quick appearance and a selfie
    with the salt man.
    Want a show, like in the video you posted,
    need to order the Tomahawk cut, $275,
    then you get a Salt Bae show and more selfie action time.
    He does not speak when at the tables, just smiles and posses.
    My friend spoke to him in Turkish, and that only got a bigger smile,
    he then tried Kurmanji, and Salt Bae was a bit shocked,
    and responded with a short chat with my friend.

Food was ok, nothing special, easy to find much better in NYC,
    and was definitely INSANELY priced, even by NYC standards.
    Steak $ 275, grilled fish $ 125, salad $25.

Dinner for 4, with tax and 18% gratuity added,
    came out to $1427
    This did NOT include the bar bill
    which was separate,
    and came out to MORE than the dinner bill !

Bar bill prices;
    4 glasses of water $36, $9 each
    Negronis - $40
    Glass of house wine - $32
    Coke - $11
    Camus 15 year -$230 glass

Bar bill including tax and 18% gratuity,
    $1679

Total cost, dinner for 4 - $3106

If it was 400 BC, he probably dumped $3k
    worth of salt on the table.
    But in 2018, salt is cheap,
    and the dinner/4 would cost around $250-400 in another place,
    bar tab maybe 200-300.
    Fogo de Chão where we were originally headed,
    would have been about $600-700 for everything.

I've had the opportunity to dine on a number of
    meals that were $500-2000+ per person,
    and at $750 for Salt Bae per person,
    it was extremely disappointing from a food experience
    and quality stand point.
    Watching a Turkish guy in a tshirt sprinkle salt doesn't
    make up the difference in price.
    Maybe Stormy Daniels sprinkling salt off her breasts might ;)

Hey, I just came up with the new Hooters,
    big breasted women, serving oversized steaks,
    and they salt the meat by bouncing the salt off their breasts.
    Just need to come up with the name :)

3 am off to rape some bunker,
    have to pay for the meal,
    Salt Bae needed a new tshirt.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Snaphappy likes this.
  13. buddyclaude

Thanks for the review and the humor. I am not sure I would pick Stormy's mammillary glands to be my salt backboard. Have you heard about the drink named after her?

"A bartender told TheWrap the drink is a configuration of the the old classic, “Dark and Stormy,” which usually is made with rum and ginger beer."

When I lived in Turkey and traveled around the Balkans, often with a cadre of fellow mercenaries of the foreign legion, and would want to take film photos of an especially good meal, the proprietor invariably would want to be in the picture. One night in Sophia, Bulgaria my crew actually quarreled and resented the intrusion by the restaurant owner who kept insisting to be in the photo. I suggested a compromise merely allowing the owner to have his "hands in the picture" which seemed to please everyone.

Turks also liked to be in the backround in group photo shots, perennially with a big smile. Especially the young turks. I am not sure if I would want to visit there again with their present climate.

Celebrity chef worship is an overrated activity imo.

You eat and drink better than I do. I had to take out a loan after just reading your bill. Two days ago it was a sticky finger's pizza with cheese crust from Hungry Howies. And a Detour IPA brew. But last night's homemade shrimp pasta salad is two star good. So do you have any recommendations for a good screw top wine?

I am curious. Do you ever brine your catch?
    [​IMG]

14. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

I've brined fish to hot or cold smoke,
    but not for saute or other cooking methods.

If you do the sushi/sashimi thing,
    you can "brine" fish with Konbu,
    which is kelp seaweed.

Soak Konbu in water to make pliable,
    pat dry with paper towel.
    Wrap fillet in konbu, then wrap in plastic wrap,
    two days in the fridge, then cut and eat.
    Greatly enhances the taste and Umami of the fish.

PS. choose box wine over screw top :)

15. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Temasek stake values 'Salt Bae' Turkish restaurant owner at $1.2 billion

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Singapore’s Temasek and Britain’s Metric Capital have bought into Nusr-Et steakhouse owner D.ream in a deal valuing the Turkish firm at $1.2 billion.

Nusr-Et was made famous by butcher-turned-social media star Nusret Gokce, who went viral under the nickname “Salt Bae” in 2017 after posting videos of himself salting meat.

Salt Bae’s distinctive cobra-like manoeuver earned Gokce more than 12 million Instagram followers and has helped launch Nusr-Et restaurants in the Middle East, New York and Miami.

Dogus Restaurant Entertainment and Management (D.ream), which has a presence in 170 locations in 12 countries, said on Monday state-owned Temasek Holding and Metric Capital had paid $200 million for a 17 percent holding.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...restaurant-owner-at-1-2-billion-idUSKBN1HG2K9

saltbaemelbourse.jpg

16. Scuba Chris

Scuba Chris Active Member

I only brine Tunas, Mahi, small billfish & Wahoo for resale when i go trolling.

Attached Files:

17. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Brine, do you mean you add saltwater to ice in your cooler ?
    or
    you add salt, saltwater and ice to your cooler ?

PS> might want to keep the commercial fishing comments to yourself,
    so you won't get abused by people on this site, for being a commercial fisherman.

18. buddyclaude

My original question was concerning the bunker you catch. Do you ice it onboard? How is it processed? If I want to keep live bait after the trip, how would you keep it? Freeze as is or brine it or salt it?

And since I now longer read National Fisherman and Perc Sane I rely on those who do it for a living to up my game. Just leave our sport fish alone but share the knowledge

19. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Brine is a high salt content solution in water..........makes no real difference if it starts with fresh or salt water.
    A brine solution will suck water out of flesh placed in it & make what you place in it salty. The longer its there in the solution the saltier it gets.
    Salt depresses the freezing temp of water..............a really high salt content solution can still be liquid at - 26 DegC.
    Salt sprinkled on ice causes the melt water to be lower than 0 degC ............but it can't get the solution lower in temp than the temp of the ice.
    Salt on ice causes ice to melt quickly until the freezing temp of the icewater slurry is reached ........depending on the amount of salt in that mix.............it takes a truckload of salt to keep a solution liquid at - 26 degC ( and a high level of refrig capacity to reach -26 C)
    Fresh water & freshwater ice will bleach colour out of fish placed in the slurry.
    salt water & freshwater ice will keep fish colours more natural....... when the meltwater does not get below -2 Deg C ( approx).
    Salt water & saltwater ice can bleach colour of the fish ( as it readily reaches below -2 DegC.)

Lastly......there is not a great deal of difference in the thermal conductivity of freshwater & brine.

I have used a stiff ice slurry ( SW with FW ice ) & about 15-20 # of salt to freeze a couple of hundred Kg of blue mackerel in an insulated ( but not refrigerated ) fish room.

There is not a great deal of difference in chilling time ( chilled to the core) between making an ice slurry & adding fish to it & making the slurry as you load the fish............. the most efficient chilling is adding ice to the fish in layers & adding water to just before the ice on top floats.... building your ice slurry as you go.
    eg:-
    fish /ice/fish/ice/water/fish/ice/fish/ice/water..........etc.
    Keeping the slurry stiff stops the fish sliding around all over the place & coming out looking like crap.

Any ice with your fish , however you do it , is a lot better than no ice.

There's some interesting physics tucked away in there !!!!!!.
    FWIW

buddyclaude likes this.
  20. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

For me frozen bait works better than brine or salted.
    - frozen quickly ( directly on the evaporator coils in the freezer compartment), & vacuum packed as soon as frozen.
    salted makes a tough bait , but bites tend to be tentative ...........initial bite, few second bites.
    ( although salted bait after long storage can develop a strong smell/flavour that attracts that first bite ).
    The downside of some fish when frozen is that they can be soft quickly when thawed.............I have been known to lightly salt bait & then quickly freeze to establish a more robust bait ( tougher but thin salted skin )........but not salty enough to reject second bites......... as the bite quickly gets into the natural flesh & flavour under the skin).

buddyclaude likes this.