How to install Stella 20k Power T knob on Saragosa 18000F

Discussion in 'Reels' started by JerseyBrian, Apr 24, 2008.

1. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I picked up a Saragosa 18000F (with bail-less kit included) for $300 shipped for my primary jigging reel and decided that after seeing pics from another thread that the handles on the Stella 20k and Saragosa 18k were interchangeable (thanks Kil!) ...I wanted to order just the Stella Power T handle knob from Bucko's Tackle in MA for my Saragosa reel to see if I could swap the knobs without any other modification. I ordered the $36 knob and it came in today during my lunch break, so I tried to test fit the knob while I still had about 10 minutes left.

Tools used:
    1 small flathead screwdriver
    1 large flathead screwdriver

Breakdown
    So, first you use the smaller flatehead screwdriver to take out the 2 tiny silver screws that hold your silver, plastic "SHIMANO" emblem plate onto your handle knob. Carefully extract the screws and plate and put them aside in a safe place so you don't lose them. They are very small screws!

After you've taken off the plate, you will see a gold, cylindrical nut with a slot at the top of the nut. Use a large flathead screwdriver to unscrew this nut off the threaded end of the handle. Also place this aside. Finally, remove the black ball bearing bushing out of your orginal knob (probably still in there) by lightly smacking the knob into your other hand with the hole facing your palm....the bushing should fall right out.

[​IMG]

Re-installation
    Now, slide the Stella Power T knob onto your Saragosa handle.
    [​IMG]

Make sure the knob is seated fully and properly.
    [​IMG]

Next step is to insert the black ball bearing bushing around the threaded end of the handle inside the knob hole.
    [​IMG]

Finally, screw the gold, cylindrical nut back onto the threaded end of the handle. Give one good tight turn at the end to secure the bolt in place. This completes the knob swap.

HOWEVER, I found out that you also need to order a few other items to make the swap complete.

1) You need to order the "SHIMANO" emblem plate that fits the Stella Power T knob. This Saragosa plate is the incorrect size and does not match. Not ordering a new plate will increase the risk of saltwater inside the knob and possibly lead to rust corrosion on the threaded end of your handle.

[​IMG]

Just to keep things organized and tidy, I put the screws and plate back onto the original Saragosa knob so that I wouldn't lose them.

[​IMG]

2) One of the other things I noticed was that the knob had a hollow shaft on the underside of the knob.
    [​IMG]

I asked the representative from Bucko's Tackle to explain to me what that was and he stated that the shaft is for a ball bearing to placed in there which is kept in by 2 different sized washers that snap in at the end of the hole (at first glance, the end of the hole looked threaded to me). I'm guessing this aids in balance while reeling in.

So in addition to the knob, I had to order the new silver "SHIMANO" emblem plate ($3.xx), 2 screws just in case the ones I have from the original Saragosa knob are incorrect ($1.xx), 1 special ball bearing ($11) and 2 different sized washers. Not that much more. Once I get these parts from Bucko's (needed to order the plate and the ball bearing) I will post my results :)

I believe this "swap" will work for any of the Saragosa 5000F-18000F reels as it appears that they all have the same handle knob.

Hope this little tutorial helped some of you guys who are thinking of doing the same!

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

That exactly how I changed mine out.
    But mine came with the emlem plate and the flathead cap on the bottom of the handle was already installed.
    I wonder why yours didnt come with these parts. I am pretty sure the guy I talked to at Buckos had the handle dropped shipped from Shimano because he didnt have any in stock at the time.

3. JerseyBrian

Well, that's very lucky of you :) This was my first purchase from Bucko's....so maybe they "hooked you up" when you ordered because you were a return customer? Or was it your first time ordering from them? (When you ordered the knob?)

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

It was my first time ordering. I have not ordered anything else from them yet.
    It was just one assembled unit.
    Maybe its a Shimano issue. They could have decided that they were going to sell it all separate after a few were ordered for this reason...
    I guess I have good luck!:)

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i left the saragosa handle on, but did put this handle on my stella. ill test it this weekend, but from holding it, it feels quite comfortable.

6. JerseyBrian

I think the weight of the ball bearing in the shaft of the knob will also help out a lot with the balance of the reel while winding too as it feels kinda funny trying to jig with it right now.

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That hole in the bottom on the handle has a threaded cap. I opened up three Stella 20K's and there is not a ball bearing in any of them although there is room for one.

Just the weight of the threaded cap makes a difference. It keeps the lower end of the knob always at the bottom with gravity. This makes it always ready for grabbing no matter where the handle is turned on the reel. Without the threaded insert, it will still settle to the bottom but not as fast. Plus it looks like hell without it.

I would suggest contacting shimano service and explain what it missing. I'm sure they will help you as there service is second to none. Hope these pictures below help you.

Attached Files:

8. JerseyBrian

Interesting....I wonder what Bucko's Tackle had me order then. Cuz I thought it was a threaded cap myself and the (Bucko's) representative told me that it wasn't...just two different sized washers to keep the ball bearing in. Maybe I will give Shimano a call tomorrow. Thanks for the pics Mr. Bill.

9. JerseyBrian

That hole in the bottom on the handle has a threaded cap. I opened up three Stella 20K's and there is not a ball bearing in any of them although there is room for one. .

Mr. Bill, were all of your 3 Stella 20k's Japanese models or U.S. Models? I can not seem to find that metal threaded screw cap even on Shimano's reel schematics for the Stella 20000FA or the 10000FA

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/techdocs/en/stl20000fa_v1_m56577569830498771.pdf

I've contacted them and e-mailed them your pics to see if they can further assist me. But as of now, "Israel" (the customer service rep) has no clue...

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

All three are 20000FA's. (USA Model) All have the threaded screw as in my picture.

11. gman

gman Senior Member

MR Bill is right they all have the screw cap

12. JerseyBrian

And my guess is, I'm the unlucky SOB that got a T-type handle knob direct shipped from Shimano (since Bucko's was out of stock) and they didn't include the screw cap :rolleyes: this is gonna be fun!

13. JerseyBrian

So after talking to Israel for a couple of days, I've received the metal screw cap and everything is good now! I've got the right SHIMANO silver plate and the metal screw cap...the swap is 100% complete!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. D-22

D-22 Junior member

Excellent...this very helpful to me as I finally take chance and order saragosa. I am surprised at how much reel feel like stella. Let see what happen in summer.

15. JerseyBrian

Excellent...this very helpful to me as I finally take chance and order saragosa. I am surprised at how much reel feel like stella. Let see what happen in summer.
    Cool! I'm glad it helped someone out!

16. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Brian,

How much did everything set you back?

17. JerseyBrian

Brian,

How much did everything set you back?

The Stella T-type knob (RD 8357) cost $36.92 (which should have come with the metal screw cap since Shimano sent it to me for no charge and no shipping costs since it was their fault).

The Stella T-type SHIMANO ID Plate (RD 8358) cost ~$3.00

The Stella T-type SHIMANO ID Plate Screws (RD 8174) cost ~$1.55 each

Shipping was $7.95

Hope that helped you out. :)

Brian

18. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Thanks! If I buy a Sargossa I want the handle.

Gary

19. JerseyBrian

No Prob Gary. Hope everything goes smoothly for you and your swap! :)

20. dejavu000

dejavu000 Senior Member

The Stella T-type knob (RD 8357) cost $36.92 (which should have come with the metal screw cap since Shimano sent it to me for no charge and no shipping costs since it was their fault).

The Stella T-type SHIMANO ID Plate (RD 8358) cost ~$3.00

The Stella T-type SHIMANO ID Plate Screws (RD 8174) cost ~$1.55 each

Shipping was $7.95

Hope that helped you out. :)

Brian

Thanks for the information...