How to: Add an Antireverse Bearing to your Accurate Boss Fury

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by johndtuttle, Feb 2, 2013.

1. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

Very impressive John, nice stuff !

2. harddrive

harddrive Member

Very cool. Nice job. Wish Accurate would have put those dogs in long time ago......

3. alantani

alantani Senior Member

now THAT is slick!

4. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

now THAT is slick!
    Learned it from you I believe! Removing the Nylon bearing and allowing the new Boca genuinely makes this reel that much better?

5. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Ohhhh. Your referring to Bossman's Eyebolt specialized tool. Yuppp!

6. Mikx

Mikx Senior Member

Excellent job!

7. rocketsurgeon

rocketsurgeon Junior member

Thanks for the tutorial. In theory could you remove the dogs, reverse the bearing and have a left hand retrieve reel similar to the older lefty Accurate reels?

8. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

Thanks for the tutorial. In theory could you remove the dogs, reverse the bearing and have a left hand retrieve reel similar to the older lefty Accurate reels?

You would have to be willing to accept all the other stuff reversed. The gear box would be in the back like an old senator and the lever for the drag would be "pull to full" rather than push to full (some reels have their lever drag set up this way and people prefer them) etc. but other than that I don't see why not :).

best

9. rocketsurgeon

rocketsurgeon Junior member

Thank very much. I have an old 270 and 665 that are conversions. Have been looking hard at the true lefties though.

10. johndtuttle

Thank very much. I have an old 270 and 665 that are conversions. Have been looking hard at the true lefties though.

I would think you would be happiest with a true lefty but I confess I have no idea if Accurate even offers one.

best

11. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Hi John: Like to find out? How does the Bearing allow for "Anti-Reverse"? The Bearing obviously rotates Clock wise and Counter Clock wise. I am sure the Bearing revolves much better over the Nylon Fitting. But what keeps The Dogs under load continously engages as oposed to the Nylon Fitting? What else do you get other than less fiction at inside of ARB? Thank you.

12. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Are we getting less binding at ARB in turn putting less stress on the dogs!

13. hafnor

hafnor Senior Member

the dogs will probably never recieve any pressure as there is so little backplay in an AR bearing. an anti reverse will only make the handle shaft slide clockwise. it will instantaneously stop if you try it the other way!

14. johndtuttle

Hi John: Like to find out? How does the Bearing allow for "Anti-Reverse"? The Bearing obviously rotates Clock wise and Counter Clock wise. I am sure the Bearing revolves much better over the Nylon Fitting. But what keeps The Dogs under load continously engages as oposed to the Nylon Fitting? What else do you get other than less fiction at inside of ARB? Thank you.

An Antireverse bearing operates on a camming principle. The nylon you see inside is just a cage that holds the rollers and springs that make it work. The way the rollers work is that in one direction they roll freely but in the other their rolling action forces them to reduce the interior space and bite. The purpose of the springs is to maintain constant contact of the rollers to the Drive Shaft so that there is an instant change in the interior volume the moment the direction of the shaft changes. Alan Hawk did some good illustrations of how AR bearings work in one of his posts on spinning reels if you go through those you can learn an incredible amount of basic knowledge about reel engineering.

One roller would not have the power to stop anything, but by having many rollers however tiny applying pressure uniformly around the entire drive shaft their gripping power is quite powerful and the strongest clutches used in reels (probably the clutch in the Stella) can hold in excess of 70lbs probably more.

The problem is that they are finicky and a little rust can cause them to fail (stop holding) or the wrong lube (heavy bearing greases) can gum them up and prevent the rollers from gripping. This is especially true in saltwater reels that deal with strong forces and salt. Many freshwater reels have them too but people never notice them or even know their reel has one as the forces are so small their holding power is never tested.

A surprising number of Shimano, Penn, Daiwa etc reels have had just as many failures of their ARBs that Accurate has ever had but all those companies always had some kind of dog (really a ratchet mechanism) back up to prevent Angler injury and angry complaints.

That is all changing now that you can get dogged versions of Accurate reels.

best

15. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Has anyone ever found out how much Pressure the Dogs can take on this reel before she Pops? Sorry Did not want to ask this question. Got to be more say 20+/-% more with the new ARB. All comes down to the two dogs.

16. johndtuttle

Has anyone ever found out how much Pressure the Dogs can take on this reel before she Pops? Sorry Did not want to ask this question. Got to be more say 20+/-% more with the new ARB. All comes down to the two dogs.

The dogs are far stronger than the teeth on the gears or the drag the reel produces. The only way to produce more force than the drag is (ie when we have hooked California and need to break off :)) is to wrap the line around the handle or whatever trick you use to break off.

The force normally gets transferred from the spool through the drag to the pinion to the drive gear to the AR Bearing then the dogs. One of those things in the chain will slip/fail long before the dogs do. You would have to strip the gears off of the pinion/drive gears before the dogs would fail probably. Nothing to worry about because the drag could never do it.

17. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Good Stuff! I have found some don't care for the Accurate Reels. This can only make things better. Looking forward to picking one up. Then contacting Boca.
    What line did you put on your 500N! Does 50lb braid whatever braid get 300 yds on the spool? Thumbing the spool seems to have some advantage.
    Also did you lightly grease with brush at perimeter of side Plate/House and Maybe a little more grease at the Gear Shaft Bushing and Handle washer to eliminate Water intrusion? Grats

18. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

You have to understand how this works. The new ARB (anti-reverse bearing) becomes the primary anti-reverse, the dogs become the backup anti-reverse. If the ARB should fail for any reason, the dogs then come into play, preventing injury, etc. It is the same system on some Shimano reels, such as the Trinidad, except it is a stronger ARB (the Trinidads fail often) and a double dog instead of a single dog. The ARB is used to prevent backplay in the handle that some speed jiggers find bothersome and is common on reels with dogs. Personally the backplay never bothered me and I like the clicking of the dogs that seems to bother some people a lot

19. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Got it! Love the Insurance Policy!

20. jiggingworld

jiggingworld Site Sponsor

very nice. thanks for posting.