How to: Add an Antireverse Bearing to your Accurate Boss Fury

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by johndtuttle, Feb 2, 2013.

1. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

Hey there Boyos,

Been playing with my Boss Fury and in recent threads there has been some talk about supplementing it's simple 2-dog system with an antireverse bearing like other Accurate models. Accurate kind of pioneered the use of ARB's only in their reels but ran into some complaints from those that ran into trouble using them as they all can fail eventually. Unfortunately Accurate's reels had no backup dogs to prevent them from going "knuckle buster" if they did fail and this caused some, shall we say, negative feedback. After many years of requests Accurate now produces either a simple dogged and single lever drag reel like the Boss Fury or a "synced" triple dog and dual drag reel like the Dawg Pound series.

Accurate will press in an AR Bearing in the DP series by request but has no plans to offer that option in the Boss Fury.

So we will just have to do it ourselves :D.

Alan did a previous post that serves as our inspiration:

a double anti-reverse bearing accurate 600 two speed

Here is the simple Teflon Bushing that Accurate shims their Drive Shaft in the Boss Fury:

[​IMG]

Took some quick measurements:

[​IMG]

Turns out Accurate is using essentially the same Side Plate and Drive Shaft as their other Boss Series reels with the same tolerances so all we have to do is press in the same or similar size parts.

Hmm, this is a likely candidate a 14 x 20 x 26mm AR bearing from Boca. It can be found here:

14x20x26,HFL1426(X),Metric, One Way Bearings

[​IMG]

It's about ~1MM longer than the Teflon Bushing but should work just fine.

Before we press it in we want to double check it gets put in proper orientation. We want the direction the handle turns to be identical to the arrow (when looking at the handle we reel forward *clockwise*, so the bearing should have the same orientation). Here it appears *counter clockwise* because we are looking at the opposite or gear side.

[​IMG]

Then we need a vise or press to place it. You cannot use a hammer or you will risk damaging either the reel or the bearing. I wasn't prepared to drop the money for a big vise so created my own bearing press. Cost about $4.

[​IMG]

What you do is place one of the washers with it's nut underneath to support the Side Plate:

[​IMG]

Then simply tighten down the other side to slowly press the bearing into position:

[​IMG]

When it is flush:

[​IMG]

You have this much space on the other side:

[​IMG]

I'll reserve that space for one of Accurate's bushings that is on the way. You see some remnants of Corrosion-x I sprayed inside the bearing. Accurate recommend it's use inside this type of barrel clutch for lube and protection.

The top then looks like this:

[​IMG]

Ready to put the handle back on:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/haugusnord/P1010543_zps168f6e95.jpg

And there we have it: An Instant Anti-reverse Boss Fury for your fishing pleasure with double stainless dog back up. Should be an extremely reliable system and provide the ideal "feel" for vertical jigging or other artificial lure fishing:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/haugusnord/P1010533_zpsee1245fa.jpg

Total cost is about $30-35 depending on what bearing you choose to add and what bushings you need to get from Accurate. Hope to see others doing the same soon :).

best regards

ps another post on how to remove/press in AR bearings:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1654.0

2. hyperman

hyperman Senior Member

Great stuff John!
    Thanks.

3. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Dear Bossman:
    1- Do you feel the new Bossman ARB will meet or exceed 20 lbs of Drag?
    2- And while your on monster Yellowtails or even 50lb Yellowfin; this new ARB Reel will not over heat? Looks like it would be cooler compared to original.
    3- It looks like a solid Jigging Machine.
    ---In your estimation being a ReelHead. Do you feel that would be what we get? We get a tighter Jigging crank, lighter weight, and amble line capacity Reel?
    ---Looks like a winner John. Accurate should honor you the title of Bossman.
    ---Now what kind of fish can the new ARB Bossman reel catch! To me it looks worth trying.
    ---Ohhhh: Is it worth getting anymore Drag out of this size Reel? Grats John!

4. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Bossman:Is the white Nylon Washer (seen in second to last photo) an original item? This is one of the original parts? Thanks

5. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

yes it comes with the white washer.wonder why they(accurate) didnt do that in the first place.well guess they didnt want the $30......nice tutorial

6. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Bossman:

Do you feel this Reel while turning the Handle feels tighter after pressing in the ARB? And silky smooth?
    And is it fair to say the Reel weighs less?

Nice.

7. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

John,
    how well(tight) did the drive shaft fit into the bearing? Any play there or did it feel too tight and may be prone to damaging the bearing, or just right?

Great job, thanks for posting.

8. johndtuttle

Dear Bossman:
    1- Do you feel the new Bossman ARB will meet or exceed 20 lbs of Drag?
    2- And while your on monster Yellowtails or even 50lb Yellowfin; this new ARB Reel will not over heat? Looks like it would be cooler compared to original.
    3- It looks like a solid Jigging Machine.
    ---In your estimation being a ReelHead. Do you feel that would be what we get? We get a tighter Jigging crank, lighter weight, and amble line capacity Reel?
    ---Looks like a winner John. Accurate should honor you the title of Bossman.
    ---Now what kind of fish can the new ARB Bossman reel catch! To me it looks worth trying.
    ---Ohhhh: Is it worth getting anymore Drag out of this size Reel? Grats John!

This AR bearing is rated to over 35lbs of force, it should handle whatever the reel can. There really are no heating issues to be concerned with. Where the Boss Fury fits in among other reels is arguably the strongest and most reliable reel for the buck out there, and made in USA. It is vastly stronger than any Penn, Daiwa, Shimano from Malaysia or China or Vietnam and is far cheaper than Talicas, Trinidads, Saltigas and Torques. If you want more drag, get a BX 500N. :)

John,
    how well(tight) did the drive shaft fit into the bearing? Any play there or did it feel too tight and may be prone to damaging the bearing, or just right?

Great job, thanks for posting.

This AR bearing is designed precisely for this size of shaft and receptacle (tolerances must be just right in all areas) and is identical in those dimensions to ones that Accurate uses. It should be ideal. If you want more support for the AR you can go with a 16mm AR like Accurate and use the exact same bushings above and below that they use. You just have to order those as well. A real nice Stainless AR bearing in 14 x 20 x16 is available from Boca for ~$22.

9. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

Thanks John, Im very happy with my SAL35LD2SPD but all this Accurate talk is getting to me. Made in the USA goes a long way :). I have never had a chance to fish an Accurate and have actually never held many!! Might be time to try one. Thanks again.

10. pompeypat

pompeypat Senior Member

Nice work John..thank you

11. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Is there less "back play" / Slop!

12. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

John,

Thanks for the work on this. I now know what reel I'm going to go with if my little ol boss 197's ever give way on me. :D

13. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Reel ME! So far so good. Wasn't an Accurate Man either, but like you said Might be worth looking into. Let me know and we will get others to bundle an order and send the order to the Bossman to hook us up! As a fisherman its always nice to have two things: 1) To tell you where the fish are biting and 2) To do a rebuild on a New Reel for yah!:cool:

Thanks John, Im very happy with my SAL35LD2SPD but all this Accurate talk is getting to me. Made in the USA goes a long way :). I have never had a chance to fish an Accurate and have actually never held many!! Might be time to try one. Thanks again.

14. madday

madday Fishing Guru

great post... thanks very much!!!!

can somebody make this thread sticky....?

15. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Mines Sticky! Least the Keys on the keyboard are sticky! :confused:

16. johndtuttle

Is there less "back play" / Slop!

Zero back play of course. The antireverse is "instant".

17. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Wow! It sound really good. Is the handle silky smooth or a little hard to turn like a new Van Stal reel?

18. johndtuttle

No, the handle turns very freely.

There is a little bit of gear noise. If you look at the first photo the drive gear is a pure stainless steel, not Marine Bronze/Brass or Forged Aluminum like Shimano (all great gears, just apples and oranges). This means that they need some "running in" or "lapping" to quiet down over time as they are so precisely cut out of a very hard material.

There is also a tiny "click-click" from the dogs but nowhere near the buzz saw that are Alutecnos or JM.

19. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Sounds like its a good one! Probably going to get one.

20. tossser lures

tossser lures Member

Thanks John for a great write-up. Looks like i have found my next reel :D