360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a prototype popping rod brought by Shin, Korean TV fishing host when they filmed bluefin fishing in Cape Cod.
I hardly believed when Shin said the fragile popping rod can lift a 100 lbs object.
Shin left the rod for me to test when he went back to Korea and I had an opportunity to test the rod when another Korean fishermen came after Shin left.
The rod doesn't have much backbone for big bluefin as the rod is for inshore popping. But I wanted to test the strength of the rods as they claimed it can lift a 100 lbs object.
As you see in the picture below, the rod was bent like a circle by a big 180 lbs bluefin, but it didn't break !!
The new carbon feels like a glass rod rather than a graphite rod.
they are soft and flexible. However they say they can make stiffer by adding other materials.
Just imagine a unbreakable rod with right action with enough backbone, and weight as light as graphite.
I can't wait to test prototype rods with my specs which they are making now.
OTI is developing new rods with carbon materials. When I checked prototype jigging rod which was made in NZ for Glenn to test, I felt it has similar carbon materials.
The new carbon material made from new technologies can revolutionize rod making concepts.

·
395 Posts
There wont be much need for a gaff any more :) That's incredible!
The week spots in gear (and anglers) will definitely be exposed with the capability of up coming blanks.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kil,

Next year there will be a lots of broken reel LOL.
We lifted 150kg today with our new rod blank.
TJ,
They lifted 168 kg object with a rod lighter than the prototype rod Shin brought. The rod could lift over 200 kg object. :eek:
There will be no such thing you break rods while fishing. :)

·
1,095 Posts
In these new designs, are they making the reel seat/rod connections any stronger? It would seem there will be much more force exerted on the joints.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
In these new designs, are they making the reel seat/rod connections any stronger? It would seem there will be much more force exerted on the joints.
they are making the blanks so they dont break when lifting weight.

Show me what the BUILT rod can lift with the reels we use.

when actually using a reel with drag..what will you expect to get?
is someone going to use 100 or 150#?
how much drag are we really using?

there is a blank breaking thread on another board.

they bent and broke blanks,
some very light bass type blanks were able to lift about 25# of weight without breaking.
But when a tap or wrap (banging) to the blank occured..that caused failure at a very low lift point. like 2-3#

i heard batson came out with a blank that you can almost touch tip to butt without breaking.

i am glad to see ALOT of different people working with the same carbon ideas in blanks. it seems at least 3 reported blank makers are doing it..

being a OTI Dealer and Rodbuilder...
I cant wait to get a hold of their new blanks.:D :D

·
1,095 Posts
I guess from what you said then that forces on the rod & reel seat will not be impacted because drag ratings of the reels will (at least for now) still be relatively the same, but the rod design will prevent it breaking when hi-sticking. Is that the correct understanding?

What concened me is the situation recently where for some reason a rod in a holder suddenly broke at the reel seat, possibly caused by some drag malfunction in the reel. If in that situation the rod can bend a mile, but the seat/rod juction is status quo, the result is the same... broken rod at the reel seat junction point.

·
2,835 Posts
What good is a rod that bends 180 degrees if it doesn't have much lifting power? Even if it lifts one million pounds, I don't want to have to high stick a rod every pump just to get one crank of line on the spool. Personally, I don't like a rod that bends more than 90 degrees. Short pumps work best for angler and wears down fish.

The only wet noodle I like is the one covered in tomato sauce and goes in my spaghetti.:)

·
395 Posts
I see many good reason for a rod that can lift tons of weight without breaking and one particular really stands out...
Pier fishing!

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I said, the particular popping rods is very light inshore popping rod. I just wanted to test the strength of the rod. They are making stiffer rods per my specs now and I should get them soon to test myself. They say they can make any action rods.
The applications of this new blanks are not limited to jigging and popping, but for any rods from trout fishing to marlin trolling.

·
1,095 Posts
As I said, the particular popping rods is very light inshore popping rod. I just wanted to test the strength of the rod. They are making stiffer rods per my specs now and I should get them soon to test myself. They say they can make any action rods.
The applications of this new blanks are not limited to jigging and popping, but for any rods from trout fishing to marlin trolling.

We look forward to the test results. What is your estimated schedule?

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We look forward to the test results. What is your estimated schedule?
they have a good system. They are already in making prototype rods.
I should get them very soon. The problem is whether bluefin is still in Cape Cod when I get them. :) If bluefin vacate, I'll test them for big yellowfin on my Hurricane Bank trip out of San Diego in late Nov.early Dec.

·
2,835 Posts
I've been called "Doubting Thomas" many times in my life. I'm somewhat stubborn and fixed in my ways. I'm always open to new ideas and products. If it's better than what I have, I'll buy it. I promise that I won't judge these new super fiber rods until I fish one.:D

Until then I give you a quote by Loomis.
"I can built you a rod that won't break, but you won't like the way it fishes."

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
a quote by Loomis.
"I can built you a rod that won't break, but you won't like the way it fishes."

a quoto by Kilsong.

"If you don't try, you'll never get it." :)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts