How much of a difference does rod gram rating make?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by hawgs, Jul 29, 2009.

1. hawgs

hawgs Member

Right now I've got an OTI 600g rod and I've discovered I rarely fish jigs over 400g. Is it worth spending/losing money selling this rod and buying an OTI G3 400g rod? Does having a having a big 600g rod kill the action of lesser jigs causing less hits?

I'm very happy with the rod and how it has performed on the fish I've caught on it... but I'm curious if I am costing myself jig action with a 600g rod and a 300g jig.

Thanks.

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Someone who had not jigged a lot will have more trouble working a lighter jig on a heavy rod without loosing the action.
    I would keep the rod and get a 400 gram or even a 300 gram so you can work both ranges, heavy and light...

3. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

if you are catching fish, it is working fine. Unless you want an arsenal of rods for various sizes, just get a heavy heavy and a light. you may miss a few here or there, but that will happen no matter what you do. just my opinion. I prefer heavier than too light.

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Right now I've got an OTI 600g rod and I've discovered I rarely fish jigs over 400g. Is it worth spending/losing money selling this rod and buying an OTI G3 400g rod? Does having a having a big 600g rod kill the action of lesser jigs causing less hits?

I'm very happy with the rod and how it has performed on the fish I've caught on it... but I'm curious if I am costing myself jig action with a 600g rod and a 300g jig.

Thanks.

It really depends on the size fish you target. If you can handle them on a lighter rod then it is easier to jig with it, but if you need th backbone to keep the fish from rocking or wrecking you then stay with what you have.