How much line is enough for Tuna

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by YMMV, May 21, 2008.

1. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

So, how much line do you really need when Tuna fishing? ? My Tuna fishing will be done off shore NJ. Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Im from NJ, you will need 350 plus yards of braid for the most part 400 is ideal

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

agreed. for chunking i probably have 650 yds, 500 of braid and 150 topping. this is on a 30-size reel, so its nothing too monstrous.

4. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

gman

I am guessing that is the suggested length for tuna jigging correct?

Does it differ for chunking with conventionals?

Enoch

5. gman

gman Senior Member

You are correct, that was a estimate based on my personal feelings for jigging. You need atleast 350 yards IMHO for jigging because you are always vertical. If you chunking or deep dropping for swords, tuna/bigeye and paying out loads of line 350 wont be enough. For that style of fishing you will need at least a 50W loaded to the brim

6. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

I agree 400-500 yards is enough..

7. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

YMMV,

In the canyons, where you have a chance at a nice bigeye, I'd stick to at least 600 yds of 100 or 500 yds of 130. A standard 50 will do you just fine and probably handle all you will encounter.

That said, I am not a fan of wide reels for stand-up. If you're going for bait fishing, I'd stick to an Accurate 50 Topless type reel.