Line cap:
20/380
25/310
30/250

for comparison, the Stella 18K SW:
20/415
25/340
30/280

Thanks! Am debating what spool size to buy.

·
4,723 Posts
There is no debate between 14k and 18k... why would you ever want to get the heavier 14k Spheros (27.7oz) that can hold less line cap vs the lighter 18k Spheros (26.8oz) that holds more line cap? Don't make much sense

·
652 Posts
JB solid is pretty thick for its size. Have you considered 60LB JB hollow? You will get more capacity and its much stronger than the 60LB label.

·
4,723 Posts
JB solid is pretty thick for its size. Have you considered 60LB JB hollow? You will get more capacity and its much stronger than the 60LB label.

Interestingly, this Aussie site tests all sorts of lines. I am not sure if his method of testing is appropriate and correct (Pametfisher can check it out and verify) but according to his data, JB Hollow 60lb breaks at a measely 54.38lb (best).

Paulus Just Fishing

You guys can be the judge, but he does have many other brands including Daiwa Saltiga and Varivas Big One on there.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I said what spool size, was referring to the JB spool size! Already bought the 18,000.

I heard the JB solid overtests something silly, like in the 90s, no?

·
Banned
17 Posts
The solid dosen't cast that well, so I would be prepared to be jigging with it. Wind knots almost every cast on the JB 80 solid from what I have seen. Ties real well though.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All right so I'm going to go with the 60lb Hollow Core. How much do you think I can pack on? I figure I'll get a 600 yd spool.

·
373 Posts
Hollow Spectra Diameter Guide :: Hollow Spectra :: BHP Tackle

This website has the specs on JB hollow diameter.

in short, a saragosa/spheros 18k should hold in excess of 400 yards, probably closer to 500 if I had to guess... I think I saw a thread on here at some point that said a saragosa 18k would hold 500 yds of jb 60# hollow..

And frankly I have not heard or seen anyone talk about getting spooled by any fish last year as long as they were properly prepared. If the drag is set correctly, the angler fights the fish properly, and you have a good person on the wheel then the line capacity becomes much less of an issue. The line diameter/breaking strength is far more important as well as your braid to mono connection system. I have a Saragosa 18K and it is loaded with 400+ of Suffix 65 lb. and I never even saw half the spool on a 200 lb. fish last year. That doesn't mean however that you won't at some point run into a demon fish that does the exact opposite of the 99% of fish you usually see. but that seems to be rare and not too probable and if it does happen then you call it fishing and give the tuna some nice applause for a job well done.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, but in my limited experience I did see a 300lb class fish nearly spool a Van Staal of 400 yds of 80lb braid set at @24lbs in less than a minute. I know the odds of actually capturing a fish that size on an eggbeater is slim at best, but if I'm going to get in the game, might as well be prepared for whatever comes my way :).

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts