How Much Have You Spent

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by NEMO, Oct 24, 2008.

1. NEMO

NEMO Member

What is the most you have spent for a Rod, Reel & Lure?
    Reel-Stella 20000-$795.00 Rod-OTI Popping $289.00 Lure-Hammerhead $72.00 Wow, my wife needs to get a 2nd job .

2. gman

gman Senior Member

reel Shimano Stella Sw20000Pg $1,100.00
    Rod Carpenter DJ83MH - $720.00
    Lure Hammerhead G Cup Popper $79.99

But who is counting...........

3. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

If my wife knew....I would have a divorce by now!

4. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i feel your pain at least a hundred times over and i am sure mrbill even more.....don't worry about things it is only a loss of paper....lol....rick

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

i feel your pain at least a hundred times over and i am sure mrbill even more.....don't worry about things it is only a loss of paper....lol....rick

Yea and we all have a good loss on paper now a days.

Rod $550 and reel $700.

d-a

6. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Rod = Hots Wei World 48XXH - $499.95
    Reel = 2008 Shimano Stella SW10000PG - $927.00 (with $200 cashback :) )
    Lure = $80 Mangrove Studio Popper

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Smith Mariana 44 WRC-630
    Stella sw20000k-900
    Craftbait GT3 Popper- 80

8. jig

jig Senior Member

Reel $600 665W, rod $200+ Chaos, lures (single) $15 yummie flying fish, (bulk order) approx $100 on close out 'fishingcomfort' jigs (but I got close to 50 -5 and 7oz benthos style jigs!).

9. shanker

shanker Senior Member

If my wife knew....I would have a divorce by now!

same here....

10. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Great pic Shanker! Bumbles Bounce!

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Thanks to the Federal Govt and all of congress for causing the ruin of our financial condition I have lost on paper over eight times what I have ever spent on fishing and hunting gear in my whole lifetime.:eek:

Don't get me started on what has happened and what might happen in the next four years.

The most expensive rod and reel I ever bought was an ATD130 mounted on a custom unlimited class rod. Over 3G's. I once bought a custom made one of a kind Hawaiian lure once for 375 bills.

12. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Souls Rod and Twinspin 30 with extra spool for a total of about 2 grand--only problem--Twinspins won't mount on most Japanese rods--so use the Stella instead--and since I've decided I'm not man enough to land a tuna on a 9 foot rod, I now have what may be in the top 99 percentile of high-dollar surf outfits on earth. As for paper losses in this market, exactly one year ago, literally the day before the plunge started, I called our financial planner and asked what he thought about getting the entire family into cash and bonds for a year or so. I thought long and hard about his answer: "But Russ, how will you know when to get back in?" So I'm a freaking genius--I let it all ride on double zero. My only solace is that that Dude is getting hurt geometrically worse than I am.

And, as I told my wife, as we got snubbed by one Italian after another (who should have been dropping down on their knees and giving thanks to God, Ike, and Patton, for D-Day and the invasion of Sicily), "Honey, I'm willing to sacrifice our entire life savings, if it comes to that, just to watch these yahoos and the French eat their own livers."

And it is going to get worse.

Russ

13. stresst

stresst Senior Member

How about this one? A Calstar custom wrapped with sic/titanium guides with an accurate 270 2 speed loaded with 55lb daiwa braid attached to 3-1/2oz spro's with a Shimano lucanas jig on the end.

The point of this story that makes it unique is, that it fell off the back of a boat at 18 knots! True story!!

Rod 600,reel 559,line 60,lures 30= total 1249

14. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

About $300 for both and still managed to catch a few fish.
    It's not the tool. It is the workman.

Lost a little over $700,000 on the market, so what?

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Stresst,

I once helped a friend pack up eight sage fly rods in a PVC round tube case. He laid it in the back of his truck.

I was following him to the coast. He was going up a hill when the tailgate dropped and the rod case fell out of the truck. All the rods disintegrated as they hit the asphalt at 80MPH.:eek: I also got two flat tires from the rod debris.:mad: I think he told me the value of the rods was around five grand.

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

And, as I told my wife, as we got snubbed by one Italian after another (who should have been dropping down on their knees and giving thanks to God, Ike, and Patton, for D-Day and the invasion of Sicily), "Honey, I'm willing to sacrifice our entire life savings, if it comes to that, just to watch these yahoos and the French eat their own livers."

And it is going to get worse.

Russ

Russ,

After reading a bunch of your post, I thought you might enjoy this guy and his view. Watch this video. I laughed my arse off.

YouTube - TobaccoWorldCigars Election 2008

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

About $300 for both and still managed to catch a few fish.
    It's not the tool. It is the workman.

Lost a little over $700,000 on the market, so what?

Jerry its just on paper, what can you do about it? Go fishing?

d-a

18. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Jerry its just on paper, what can you do about it? Go fishing?

d-a

Yep and that is how I look at it.
    I was born broke and naked, I'll most likely die that way.

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Yep and that is how I look at it.
    I was born broke and naked, I'll most likely die that way.

Me too, but not from mis manging my stocks, bonds, and gold, but from my fishing and hunting habits.

d-a

20. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill: You are a gentleman and a savior--a gentleman for introducing a note of intellectual refinement into what has been heretofore a colorless, uninteresting election year--and a savior for giving an old, worthless, sick, and downtrodden fart like Uncle Russ his first laugh all day. I love that guy! I've been sick as a dog for 4 days with a virus I got as the result of an anti-American conspiracy among the striking Venitian boat workers, I came back to nearly 1200 emails, and, as what you and Gunsmoke would refer to as a 'Sip (notice the capital "S" :) ) who predicted we would go 8-4 this year, I just know tomorrow is going to be a disaster--or if not tomorrow, then next week in the darkest corners of the Panhandle. I know damned well that the Good Lord occasionally smiles to himself and says: "How can we mess with Russ's mind today? I know--we'll bottom out the market but let the 'Horns go 7-0 so that he gets his hopes up, and then let them get their asses kicked at home."

Call me an optimist.

By the way, I'll bet that guy could have gotten those rods replaced by Sage--they are pretty unconditional in their warranties--but that was a bit extreme.

Russ