How Much Drag?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by copperhead, Aug 27, 2009.

1. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

Just got my OTI 60-80lb 7'6" popping rod from Kil. Hung a Saragosa 14000 with up-graded drag on it, spooled with JB hollowcore (80#) with 80# FC spliced leader. How much drag should I set? I'm a big guy. Expect 60-80# YF with chance of up to 120# or so. Will set with digital scales hooked into eye of swivel. (thru guides and out enough to clear leader).

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

popping- i like to start of with around 18 lbs then kinda know wher the 22 lb mark is. i really dont use more than that except for jigging. you'll get a variety of answers. just gotta be comfortable to you and confident in your gear and terminal tackle if using higher drag

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

With a full spool, on a Sara 14K I would go 18# on the initial drag setting. Remember-with spinners your drag will increase as the spool empties out, less line=more drag pressure. BTW you may want to check the drag cap on that reel just to be sure that it has the factory upgraded CAP on it. The older reels had all plastic caps that will melt under pressure, I have an 18K in the shop right now for that problem. I did not even realize that it was damaged until I went to break down the reel post trip and could not get the cap off of the spool, had to pry it out and what was underneath was a mess. Just melted plastic! I am assuming that you had the carbontex upgrade done, just be sure to check that cap...

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Saragosa can take initial drag of 25 lbs. Max drag is depending on how long you want to fight. :) With 25 lbs dag, you can land 50 -60 lbs tuna within 5 minutes. It is much easier for fisherman to use 20 lbs rather than 25 lbs and you still land 50 -60 lbs tuna in 10 minutes.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Keep in mind that it is OK when you set the drag at 1/4 - 1/3 of line rating no matter how long fish take lines.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Just got my OTI 60-80lb 7'6" popping rod from Kil. Hung a Saragosa 14000 with up-graded drag on it, spooled with JB hollowcore (80#) with 80# FC spliced leader. How much drag should I set? I'm a big guy. Expect 60-80# YF with chance of up to 120# or so. Will set with digital scales hooked into eye of swivel. (thru guides and out enough to clear leader).

As much as you can handle. Most guys have no clue what 18lbs of drag is.

d-a

7. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

ill go for 18# no matter what line ( wether 65 or 80 ) like kidflex mention know your 22# mark. foul around with the drag cap , like how many clicks to 22#. for sure check the saragosa drag cap , however if the reel its brand new shimano corrected the issue for the new batch of 2009. I one thing its proven as bigscrnman said once the fish start peeling line out of that spoll the drag would increase keep that in mind.
    BTW make a straight pull when setting your drag JMO

So you suggest NOT to set drag with "loaded rod" but a straight pull from reel to scale?

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

So you suggest NOT to set drag with "loaded rod" but a straight pull from reel to scale?
    thats what i like to do

9. gman

gman Senior Member

The beauty of these reels is you can ramp up as needed. In order to prevent pulled hooks on initial strike I am using between 15-18 pounds of drag. I actually set mine yesterday. Get a solid hookup at that drag and once its done after its first run crank it up a bit.

Palm spool if needed. Its my new favorite technique

10. gman

gman Senior Member

When i need to set my drag with a scale I use it in a "fishing position" not straight. You will get different reading straight than bent. You dont fish straight you fish bent just my 2 cents

11. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

that's a good question actually.

12. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

anyone else want to chime in on the drag setting in a loaded position v straight rod?

13. wacker

wacker Senior Member

anyone else want to chime in on the drag setting in a loaded position v straight rod?

First time I have ever heard that. I wonder if it makes a difference?
    I always thought every guide would give some friction/drag.

14. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Never really gave it much thought. I have always set the dragwith a loaded rod.

15. jig

jig Senior Member

I set drag with straight pull, for little more reason than I just don't like to load a rod with that much force that close. If something goes 'boing', there is to much that can happen with the load and the scale pointed at you.

Kidflex, that pic is freaking me out.:)