How Much 80# Spectra for A Trinidad 40N

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by red34, Jan 10, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

Just so I'm not spooling and un-spooling. I bought 300 yards of JB solid. Will I need a base of line to get the 80# up to the top?

2. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

Spool it on and see. If so, add your backing line to the JB already on the reel just like it is a topshot. Then unspool it back to an empty line spool using an electric drill to spin the empty spool. Transfer this line onto a 2nd empty line spool. Now your backing is on top of the JB on the 2nd spool and now you are ready to put it back onto your reel.

You may also find the line capacity calculator on the Accurate website helpful:
    Accurate Reels

3. red34

red34 Guest

Spool it on and see. If so, add your backing line to the JB already on the reel just like it is a topshot. Then unspool it back to an empty line spool using an electric drill to spin the empty spool. Transfer this line onto a 2nd empty line spool. Now your backing is on top of the JB on the 2nd spool and now you are ready to put it back onto your reel.

You may also find the line capacity calculator on the Accurate website helpful:
    Accurate Reels

According to that chart with 20# mono being .018" and 80# solid also being .approx 018" it should hold about 440 yds of 80#. My problem is that I dont have a counter and I'll be using some left over 65# to use as a base so it's a little off.

I will do that trick spooling it in reverse and then use another reel to get it back onto the Trini. That being said, I should be able to get about 460 or so yds of line on that reel. That mixed with an upgraded handle and upgraded drag should make it a pretty versitle reel.

I have to spend a little extra $$ building the rod using an OTI 2-piece blank, but the return in versitility and ease of travel, paired with a reel that can be used under so many different conditions and species, it definately makes the expense worthwhile.

Thanks for the trick.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

my 4000P Ocea (same reel more or less) held abt 375 yds of OTI 80lb.

5. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

whats recommended for backing and how do you start the spool, what knots etc... i have a saltist 50 using 80# spectra and will be doing a top shoot probably with 80 as well

6. red34

red34 Guest

whats recommended for backing and how do you start the spool, what knots etc... i have a saltist 50 using 80# spectra and will be doing a top shoot probably with 80 as well

i put either that elastic finger tape, plumber's tape, or electrical tape on the spool. then wrap the line around 1 full time and on the 2nd pass, tie a 7-10 turn uni knot. with the double wraped line on the spool, you'll have to kinda "walk" the knot down with your fingers but at the spool it won't slip.

if the spool has that little knob on it, you obviously don't need to do all that.

7. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

i put either that elastic finger tape, plumber's tape, or electrical tape on the spool. then wrap the line around 1 full time and on the 2nd pass, tie a 7-10 turn uni knot. with the double wraped line on the spool, you'll have to kinda "walk" the knot down with your fingers but at the spool it won't slip.

if the spool has that little knob on it, you obviously don't need to do all that.

So you just tie your braid on like that or is there something in addittion to this taht you put on before spooling with braid?

8. Iliveoutside

I am going to try that trick with the tape. I was thinking about doing that myself recently. The old rule of thumb has always been to put a few wraps of mono on first so the braid wouldn't slip, but that eats up your reel capacity, and the braid will pinch in between the mono, unless you have a few layers of mono on first.

9. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Here's what the Jerry Brown website says about spooling Spectra.

Myth Busting: The truth about line slipping on the spool.Many mistakenly believe that Spectra® fishing line will slip on the spool unless you take draconian measures to prevent it. Experience has clearly shown that putting on several layers of mono, dacron or duct tape is totally unnecessary. This practice is not recommended to solve a problem that does not even exist. Braided line grips the spool much like tread on a tire grips the road better than a smooth one with an infinitely small contact area.Before you start spooling a reel, pass the line around the arbor twice and form a good knot such as the Berkley Trilene knot. Cinch it tightly on one side of the spool leaving a long tag end to be laid across the arbor. Spool the first full layer of Spectra® onto the spool in a close side-by-side fashion under tension of 6-8 pounds over the tag end. If this is done, the line will not slip! No exceptions have been reported but try pulling on it at this point if you have any doubts. When convinced, you might tell a friend that it works.Continue filling the spool under tension without any exaggerated crisscrossing. Tension about 1/2 the drag pressure expected may be appropriate when spooling heavy- duty line. Exaggerated crisscrossing creates open space in the spool which may invite the subsequent layer to dig in. In any case, crisscrossing is a one-time-event because you would not attempt exaggerated crisscrossing when fighting a fish because to do so would give the fish the opportunity to shake the hook. Actually, even if you think you are laying the line tightly under tension in a close side-by-side fashion, it is likely that you can’t see that you are crossing several wraps every turn because the line is so small diameter.Some believe that Spectra® should be spooled on wet. This is not needed, but if it makes you happy, OK. The main concern with wet spooling is that often insufficient tension is applied. Fresh water causes no problems, but I would not use sea water which has about 3.5% salt (about 1/3 pound per gallon). Salt causes spool erosion. You would be saturating the line with salt all the way down to the bottom of the spool to start trouble later.

10. Iliveoutside

Thanks Pametfisher for posting that.

Myth Busted;)

11. red34

red34 Guest

I read that on the Jerry Brown site as well, but I KNOW that the tape method works. I'm sure that their method works as well IF done properly, but every time that I've seen someone put spectra on incorrectly the entire spool of line will spin with very little effort. If you do it this way, or with tape for that matter, I'd test pull it after a few spooling wraps to make sure you're not slipping.

I used to do the mono thing, but after the guys in the California shops who supply long range trips showed me the finger tape trick I have since re-spooled all of my spectra reels in this manner.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

my stella 10k has tape...the 8k does not. both are fine at this point.

13. red34

red34 Guest

I spooled my Trinidad 40N with 80# JB solid. I bought a 300yd spool and they send one that said 300+. The dealer told me that JB will give extra line to some spools and mark them "+" if there's not enough to fill their 150yd spools. The only problem is that now I don't know how much line is on my reel. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to know.

The line diameter chart on Accurate's site Line Calculation says that 80# spectra should be close to 20# mono. The 40N is supposed to hold 440yds of 20# mono, but there was alot of extra line left over from the 300+ spool of JB 80#. I'm a little worried that the reel may not have enough line on it.

Any of you guys spooled one of these reels with JB solid and used a line counter?