How many Rods/Reels do you bring on a Trip?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by njnicka, Apr 14, 2008.

1. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

Just curious to know how many Rods/Reels you bring with you on a Trip either local or traveling? I know I usually bring 3 or 4 depends if i'm going to try somthing new?
    Thanks,
    Nick

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Just curious to know how many Rods/Reels you bring with you on a Trip either local or traveling? I know I usually bring 3 or 4 depends if i'm going to try somthing new?
    Thanks,
    Nick

That all depends...somewhere between 3-15.... 3 if I am on someone elses boat. 15 or more if on mine.. :D

3. gman

gman Senior Member

so many that you get those looks from others like "WTF is he doing"

4. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

Thats what I thought Glenn, because I have gotten many of those looks, when i'm on a friends or charter i usually bring 3 maybe 4. If i'm on my own boat its usually a lot more. I figured many of you guys are tackle junkies like myself!!

5. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

it depends on whose boat,
    if it happens to be on a charter using my stuff, i dont need to bring as much;)
    i usually end up bringing a few rods and a extra reel or 2

6. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Looks? Yep, I've seen those looks!!! lol!

DBG

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

on a tuna trip, as of right now i'd bring 1 chunking, 2-3 jigging, 1-2 popping.......extra reel or two as well.

8. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Sadly, on the upcoming Big E 76hr trip, i think it'll hit double digits.

Normally, ~3 as a guest.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

It's always a problem. It all depends on the number of rod holders. I like all my setups to be in individual rod holders with gimbal pins on bottom. Otherwise I don't bring them. If on a head boat, I will lay them on a left over bunk on a bedroll. I don't like my stuff banging against each other. You lose guides, get boat rash on reels, etc. I have 32 holders on my boat. That's more than enough for fishing trip. I have seen them all used up if a couple of other tackle buffs join me.

If I was on that 76 hour trip July 4th, and I still might make it depending on other commitments, I'd take at least 10 if there was enough rod holders. I'd find out in advance as I wouldn't leave them in the truck for three days. Either that or rent a room for storage for three days to hold coolers and other gear they couldn't hold.

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

This is really weird--before seeing this post, I just PM d Mcgolfer as the person most likely to know how much crap someone could get away with taking on the 76 hour trip--I must be telepathic! Here is what I am planning, tentatively for that trip:

1. Deep Drop rig: ATD50W on 760H, 2. Chunking rig: ATD12 on 7465H Rail Rod, 3. Jigging Conventional: 665W 2 spd on OTI-300 or 600, 4. Tuna casting: Twinspin 20 on Souls 9 foot, 5. Light casting-ready rod: Twinspin 12 on OTI 7 foot popping rod or Smith KGS 70MH, and 6. what I am calling my Superspin outfit for whatever use I might want to make of it: The Twinspin 30 on a 700XH with 130 pound line. With this rig, I intend to pretend I'm Bertrand Picarda going after 100 KG world record GT s. Also, I'm taking along a 9 ' light surf spinner for making bait.

Last time, on a 52 hour, I took 4 rigs, and that was perfect--so I guess I will try to push the envelope.

I am also considering taking all my rods in a Bazooka case and the reels in a separate padded case, and rigging up after I get on board--but then there might not be enough rod holders after all the real hos and hogs get through. :)

11. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

that comment was so hilarious that you are sig worthy LOL

12. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

that comment was so hilarious that you are sig worthy LOL

13. atunatado

atunatado Member

They've been sipping Haterade...

14. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

I knew this would be a interesting post!!

15. Staven

Staven Senior Member

Just dont ask. Problem is I love all of my gear. My favorite probably is my stella 8000, simply because I have cought so much with it. It goes everywhere I fish.

My buddies that I fish with in Costa Rica forbid me to bring my gear with me as they claim it slows them down in the airport. honestly its no fun using most other charter's equipment. Last time I got stuck on a boat trying to land Roosters in the 30 - 40lb class with Okuma Catalina reel. Dont ask:mad:

To Panama I plan on taking 6 rigs for 5 days of fishing.

The look, I get it every time I go fishing. Freakin annoying:D

16. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

screw the looks. take what you think you will need and what others around you will need and the looks will no longer be there when you have what they need during a hot bite. i usually try and sink the boat with the tackle i bring onboard. now i know that if everyone did the same we would probably sink the boat. but as long as there are those that don't have the dollars or the experience to know what to bring then i will continue to bring more than i need. a sucessful trip is not how many tuna i catch but how many we as a team on the boat can catch.....by the way russ i sent you a pm......rick

17. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks, Rick. That is a helluva good attitude--and one I wish more people shared. If I didn't know better, I would think you were a Democrat social worker! But to be serious, some folks are givers and some are takers. I know I have *****ed and whined about this before, but on our 52 hour trip last September, there was a guy with bass tackle who prolonged a drift for over an hour and half on a 50-pound yellow fin. (Apparently he has done that on a regular basis.) I'm not saying he didn't have other tackle, but from what I hear that is what he always uses. Too bad Gunsmoke wasn't along. Then, to top it off, he ate JasonL's ribeye off of the grill. Now, if you know how that kid feels about food, we almost didn't need Gunsmoke to throw him overboard! I too will lend my equipment--not that I can compete with you, Rick--but not to someone that self-centered.

Russ

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That's the Capt's fault. It's a tuna trip. In his little speech before they leave the dock, all he has to do is tell them "If you want to use light tackle, we have a 30 minute limit before the line is cut". "It's not fair to the other anglers on board for some idiot to be wasting valuable fishing time".:)

I can't believe that same guy ate someone's rib-eye.:mad: Obviously you don't want to start a fist fight on board, but I sure would have given him a good chewing out if that was my steak. Sharing if fine as long as you ask first before taking.

I experienced the same light tackle thing on the three tuna party boat trips I went on last year. It tee's you off. That's one reason why GS won't go on a party boat. He doesn't tolerate that kind of time wasting.:eek: He also doesn't like inexperienced angler's on board unless it's a good looking woman. Something that is pleasant to look at all day long is worth the price of inexperience.:D

I also agree with Mcgolfer that team style fishing is best. The whole goal is to catch fish and help each other. I prefer to use heavy drag pressure and boat the fish as soon as possible. That's why I like fishing on private boats where others share the same concept. Be serious, fish hard, and take whatever fish you want to eat. Throw back anything you will not eat.

The two most abused fish in the gulf are the dolphins and blackfins.
    It always upsets me when I see guys at the dock with about 50 chicken dolphin in their fish box. Keep a few for that night's dinner and let the others free to grow. In three months, that little 2 pound dodo with be 17-20 pounds.
    I feel the same way about blackfin tuna. I believe a 10 pound minimum should be a boat rule. Using smaller BF's for chunking is fine but don't box a little
    3-5# baby. I also would like to see a 50# or length limit on yellowfins.

Next time someone steals your steak , go the bait bucket and give them a plate of ribbonfish.:D

Attached Files:

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Well said, MrBill. I pretty much agree with everything you said. If you ever laid eyes on JasonL, I guarantee that both you and the 'Smoke together would not want to eat that boy's steak. He's about 5 feet eight---both ways, and he was not, I repeat NOT a happy camper--it was his second huge ribeye that he was saving for dessert.

Come to think of it, it would hurt if everyone going on the Big E would mention that either when signing up or on arrival--I think I will put up a separate post to that effect. On the 30 minute rule, I can see making an exception if some poor old coot (such as Uncle Russ) happens to get the elusive 200 pounder on the end of the line, but for the most part--cut the sucker off.

You and Rick are dead on with regard to cooperating and helping others. Because of all the assistance I got on this board--before I ever went fishing, on my two trips (Venice and Big E) I had all the right gear, knew how to use it in theory, and was in a position to learn how to use it for real.

I even go one step further. I have lived with competition in so many areas of my life for so damned long, that the one place I don't want to do it is in fishing--don't get me wrong--I can see that crewing on a boat during a tournament might be fun, but on the average trip, I just love watching fish being caught and, in areas where I know what I'm doing, helping put others on fish. My one personal flaw is that when some a$$hole starts acting competitive or strutting (not just having fun), I tend to get pissed off and want to beat him. Not as often now, though as in my youth.

Russ

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Between 3 and 8 rigs as well as 50# of jigs and lures.

21. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I figured that If someone was willing
    to build the Ultimate Milk Crate then others would be obliged to
    bring enough equipment to fill it.
    Size could matter.:p