How many hunters do we have on 360???

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Just curious how many of you guys enjoy hunting?? I have been hunting since my childhood.. If I am not fishing, I am hunting.. no deer this archery season, but we have trapped 21 pigs so far.. 11 piglets 4 sows and 6 boars.. We are letting the trap rest for a while..

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I will be posting plenty of duck stories during duck season! Two weeks!

3. TOO

TOO Senior member

I've been know to carry a firearm through south Texas once and while. ;)
    We got the same problem as you Bret with them hogs. We've been on the same place for 9 years, this is our 10th season. The Head Honcho shot 73 hogs from February 1997 through the end of the season the 1997-98 season when we first got on the place.
    In the first two full years there he shot 120+ hogs. It was common for him to come back to camp with 3 hogs on his ATV. They were worse than skeeters.
    Once I get a little free time, I'll try to post a few pictures of the place and the animals that we've taken and so on. It's a nice little place we got to hunt a bit.

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I haven't hunted Texas yet.

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have hunted deer and dove all my life in Lavaca County, TX, and every couple of years I go backpack hunting in Colorado for deer or elk. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be carrying a 90 plus pound pack for a 10 day high country hunt, but I'm trying to trim down my load. We have the same problem with hogs in Lavaca County. My great grandfather and all his brothers ran hogs on mast, just like everywhere else in the south, and now you can't cut hay because of the holes. Still, if the truth be known, I'd rather have the hogs out there than make any real money on the damned cattle.

I had a buddy one time tell everybody at work: "Russ wouldn't ever get any dates at all if he didn't have a hog trap." (Actually, I've never trapped, and although we have hundreds of them down there, they all seem to be pretty nocturnal. My 80-year-old mother lives on the ranch, and I told her I was going to put out some traps and I wanted her to run them for me every couple of days with a loaded .44 mag, blow away anything she found, then hook a rope to the pickup and drag them off to rot. She doesn't talk to me much any more and I have pretty much concluded she would prefer her reading club.

Russ

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I went hunting before I was born. My mother took me hunting when she was pregnant. I shot my first deer at 6. I been hunting my whole life. I don't have the hunting fever as bad as I used too. I was obsessed for many years. You name it, I've put a bullet or pellet in it. I've made a lot of money with all my gutting experience. Don't ever bet me on gutting a deer under a minute.

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Bret,

This might be a new way of hauling all those pigs. You do seem to have a pig problem. Who needs a truck.

Attached Files:

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Mr. Bill: I just turned you in to PETA!

Russ

9. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Hey Bill, I need one of those baskets for my 4 wheeler.. Thats pretty funny!!!

We set the trap again.. the hogs are all in my wheat field.. I guess from here on out we will be killing the boars and any sows over 150 and eating the rest.. Glad to know there are some hunters on here. I dont necessarily have to kill something.. I really enjoy being outdoors and away from the office for a day or two. My 3 yr old daughter is going to sit in the stand with me this weekend. Going to try and rattle up some bucks for her to look at.