How many Guides?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by rebel, Feb 23, 2009.

1. rebel

rebel Senior Member

How does it work? More guides or less guides is better for spinning rods? I've been looking at different offshore spinning rods from different brands (between 7' & 8'6") number of guides vary from 6 to 9 what are the advantages & disadvantages?

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

3. rebel

rebel Senior Member

Thanx, but it doesn't say how many is recommended for a long casting spinning rod & or advantages/disadvantages of more/less guides.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thanx, but it doesn't say how many is recommended for a long casting spinning rod & or advantages/disadvantages of more/less guides.

Your right it doesnt say, but it does tell you how to determine it. Also once you do a static deflection test you will better learn why more or less guides are used on different rods. Each rod has a different action and will require different amount of guides.

But if you really want a # 7 works

Disadvantages to more guides: are the cost more and can generate line friction casting

Disadvantages to less guides: they can cause more line friction under a load

Advantages of doing a static deflection test: You don't have any of the disadvantages associated with too many or not enough guides.

d-a

5. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I use the Fuji New Concept layouts (and other similar rods that I have) to get in the ballpark first, then test with static deflection. If you don't have it already, order a Fuji Catalog from their US rep in AL, it has a lot of info...

I have the layout sheets from internet in PDF, so it's out there somewhere. I just don't have links anymore. Google New Concept Guide Placement or send me your email address and I'll fwd what I have.

Basic ideas behind Fuji's "New Guide Concept" including number and size of guides:
    Fuji New Guide Concept

Jason