How Do You Tie Your Loop Knot?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by HUNTER II, May 7, 2008.

1. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

In the Northeast we have found we get much better lure action if we tie our leader to the lure with some sort of loop knot. This action is especially important when casting to breaking BFT's. I have spent all winter looking for a loop knot that's easy to tie (that should read - can be tied in heavy seas with fish breaking all around the boat) and (and this is the gotchah) has near full line strength. This is particularly important when the fish get leader shy and we are using 40 lb fluoro to catch 75 - 100 lb fish. I have plenty of loop knots that are easy to tie and I have one that is pretty much at full line strength. I don't have one that is both. Anyone got both?

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

the better action with loop knot is all in your mind =)

3. wacker

wacker Senior Member

Uni knot but cinch the tag end tight when you have the right size loop you want, after you land a fish you can slip the knot back up and your in biz.
    I also use it instead of buying ringed hooks.

4. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Instead of a loop knot, why not just put on a solid ring? There are tutorials around on how to make a solid ring out of stainless steel wire and brazing the ends with silver solder. The solid ring will give your lure the flexibility to move, but allow you to tie a strong knot to it. :)

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

or you can buy solid rings........im not burning my house down after i leave the soldering gun on!!!

6. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

or you can buy solid rings........im not burning my house down after i leave the soldering gun on!!!

LOL...actually, brazing solid ring with 56% silver solder requires a butane torch that looks like the exhaust out of an F-15 with afterburners on! :eek: :D

It might be a bit difficult to attach a solid ring to a lure without a split ring...;)

7. gman

gman Senior Member

Uni knot but cinch the tag end tight when you have the right size loop you want, after you land a fish you can slip the knot back up and your in biz.
    I also use it instead of buying ringed hooks.

I was just going to say a high uni-knot, if you sinch it away from the lure it will tighten

8. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I buy "butt" rings from a guy on eBay (Rosco wants you to buy in the thousands) and braze them with a torch I bought at Harbor Freight that uses cigarette lighter butane and costs about $7 if I remember. The guy on eBay (ricksfishing1 I beleive) also has the 56% silver and flux. Real easy and kind of fun to do.

David

9. gman

gman Senior Member

I buy "butt" rings from a guy on eBay (Rosco wants you to buy in the thousands) and braze them with a torch I bought at Harbor Freight that uses cigarette lighter butane and costs about $7 if I remember. The guy on eBay (ricksfishing1 I beleive) also has the 56% silver and flux. Real easy and kind of fun to do.

David

I will pass on buying BUTT RINGS LMAO

10. Tunaman40

Tunaman40 Junior member

with a crimp :)

Nuff said ;) :D

11. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

David

Huh, there's a seller on eBay that sells rings...hmm. dayOne, do you know if they are Rosco rings or a generic? That might be quicker for me than bending the wire myself. :)

BTW, Hunter II, I'm not sure what kind of lures you're looking to tie on, but I know Guy at Ringed Hooks will put solid rings on any lure/jig/hook for a nominal fee. :cool:

12. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

13. bunile

bunile Senior Member

Why don't the LURE/PLUGS have a ring on them when you buy them? I don't know why that is going on, there is something weird about this PLUG. Use SWIVEL if you get all shaky and nervous in a HOT BITE, I know there's not much time but that problem is easier to solve than create.

14. bunile

bunile Senior Member

Now, back to your querry, Spider hitch I usually get these tied blindfolded but that's more like a dropper loop. Double surgeons loop, (OVERHAND KNOT WITH 2 WRAPS) If you want; not-unlike the uni the doubled SAN DIEGO using the "Don't cinch it tight" philosophy, or tough it out and tie one on straight up like! Web search- KNOT's on YOU TUBE or GROGS fishing knots or AUSSIE KNOTS .com , I heard of doing a GOOGLE SEARCH , That's another way.

15. red34

red34 Guest

I use the Baja Loop for tons of things, fishing and lots of everyday uses. Very handy knot and I've never had it break or slip. Very useful for single hooks or just a loop to secure your line to the reel, but I've never tried doing this with a lure.

Baja Knot

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  16. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

Instead of a loop knot, why not just put on a solid ring? There are tutorials around on how to make a solid ring out of stainless steel wire and brazing the ends with silver solder. The solid ring will give your lure the flexibility to move, but allow you to tie a strong knot to it. :)

Brazed solid rings are the quick, easy, cheap, reliable answer. Better still, Jureal wrote the book on brazing rings and on making your own rings. Mel (Jureal), speak up--where's that tutorial video? Once you start, you realize you can use the same skill to set/change the hooks on lures and to ring live bait hooks.

BTW, don't be put off by Rosco's prices; they'll sell in smaller quantities at a 20% markup in price--It's really not much. After a while, you'll have a complete collection. But, why wait? Get 3-4 friends together and buy a few thousand Rosco 5's and 6's--or find one medieval reenactment buff and skim a few off his chain mail armor project. I'm no tool guy, but I got the hang of it in before I'd done 100 rings.

17. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Perfection Loop (google for instructions). Can be tied in the roughest of conditions in any size line from 2# on up. These two are tied in 300# fluorocarbon and lasted over three hours with a blue marlin on the other end:
    [​IMG]

18. red34

red34 Guest

Perfection Loop (google for instructions). Can be tied in the roughest of conditions in any size line from 2# on up. These two are tied in 300# fluorocarbon and lasted over three hours with a blue marlin on the other end:
    [​IMG]

This is another name for the Baja Loop...Great knot and extremely easy to learn.