360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some 8 and 10oz hammered jigs but I don't know how they're normally rigged. Trebles, singles, assists...I don't know.

·
2,030 Posts
I personally like assists, because the few I have tried with a treble on the bottom remained on the bottom after I dropped them.

·
1,553 Posts
I personally like assists, because the few I have tried with a treble on the bottom remained on the bottom after I dropped them.
hahaha. so true

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
You can rig them with assist hooks, or many guys put a #9 or #10 Split ring at the bottom and then a hook or also a crimped on Siwash (open eye) hook is very popular.

G

·
i normally use the single on the bottom. ive not found any difference in hookups between a big siwash (gami 8/0) and a jigging single, both work just fine. trebles work well too. if you're tuna jigging you won't snag the bottom obviously.

i don't normally use a single assist hook, but nothing is wrong with that setup. just stuck in my ways i guess :)

·
4,723 Posts
I have found that you get less line to hook tangle with the assist hook rather than the single hook at the bottom or treble hook. Maybe it's just me, or maybe I am jerking the lure too violently, but I tend to end up with the single hook snagged to my leader. I have not had the assist hook setup cause this snag yet.

G

·
if you speed jig with a single or treble on the bottom, youll get snags. i tend to jig slower than most for tuna and grouper

·
1,321 Posts
If there are no hooks on the jig, I rig a single assist. If it comes with hooks, and they are sufficently heavy duty, I leave them alone. If I am replacing existing hooks, I usually rig with upgrade in same manner the jig originally came (i.e. if it came with an undersized treble, I replace with a HD treble).

I used to rig double assists, but years ago stopped and noticed no appreciable change in hook up ratio, but did notice a decline in the number of times I hooked myself with the second free hook. :) Plus, its cheaper, easier and faster to rig with a single. I jig comes with double, I remove one.

·
1,321 Posts
Just an update. On TBB this weekend, we did a LOT of jigging for BkFT. I did a direct comparison of the 8oz hammered jig rigged with supplied 'J' hook at bottom, and then with that hook removed and replaced with an assist at the top. With the 'J' hook, I connected with and LOST 9 tuna in a row. With the assist, I lost none. Both fished and fought the exact some way, via rapid jigging and reeling in when connected.

Now, to test a theory, I went back to the 'J' hook on bottom of jig, but when I connected with a tuna, I jerked the holy living crap out of the rod several times to really set the hook. And from that point on I landed almost every tuna.

Nothing scientific by any means, but I guess my conclusion would be if you really like to sock it to the fish with a hook set, J hook is for you. If you prefer the 'come tight' method like fishing a circle hook, use the assist.

·
1,541 Posts
Tuna generally hook themselves unless theyre swimming at the boat. If youre going to use a j hook cant leave slack in the line tahts when trouble happens, and that when most people lose fish on jigs. Always have to keep the line taut.

·
1,321 Posts
Yeah, but my fish were coming unbuttened with the J hook with constant pressure. I think the J hook at the bottom does not hook in the corner of the mouth as much as the assist hook, and when the fish has the weight of the jig to use as leverage, it is easier to dislodge the J hook (esp since BkFT shake their head so much). But when you really, really set the J hook HARD, muliple times, the jig gets unbuttened much less frequently. JMHO.

·
1,703 Posts
General jig related question: Is there a definate no-no as to where to attache the asssist hook? Most pics I've seen do not have it on the jig eye itself. Sometimes its on a split ring attached to the jig eye, sometimes to a solid ring above the split ring, and sometimes on the swivel eye. So many choices, too much over thinking (i think).
Also, I hear a lot of people keep a solid ring tied to their line for quick jig swap outs, is that common?

G

·
IMO jigs wont hook in the corner of the mouth frequently anyway since its not a circle hook.

all my hammered diamond jigs have a J on the bottom. i prefer most jigs with that setup actually. assist hooks are nice for speed jigging and bottom jigging to prevent snags. even then though i tend to risk a few jigs. i get more fish on the drop than on the jig. on the drop just engage, lift the tip and a bit and reel tight.

both methods work in the end....jig rig it however youre confident.

·
1,321 Posts
Also, I hear a lot of people keep a solid ring tied to their line for quick jig swap outs, is that common?

Yes people do it, but I don't because: 1) It takes me less time to retie than to mess with a split ring and 2) I retie pretty often anyway (even if not switching jigs) because I believe jigging puts a lot of stress on the loop part of the knot.

Bret, I am now a huge fan of the hammered diamond jig. I lost my 'go to' pink 7oz benthos pretty early, and went with an 8oz hammered next. Believe it or not, I never lost it and it made it home with me. I've used them a few times this year nearer shore to great success, but this was first time for BkFT. Not that you can't catch them on anything, but still, I was hooked up pretty consistantly with them. I believe its replacing the benthos as first jig to get tied on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts