360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL:)

I fish freshwater a lot and will be doing a few Saltwater fishing trips 2010. As I have read so far from the forum, I have learned Saltwater fishing is a whole different ball game. So bare with my Rookie questions:eek:

I noticed there is no Line Guide on the Saltwater Conventional Reels like the Freshwater models.

- I understand there are less parts to fail that way when you are fighting the Saltwater fish but can someone guide me whats the right way to reel back the line?

- Using your thumb to guide it left and right while you are fighting?

- I can only fish comfortably with LEFT hand reels, which reel comes with Left~hand and holds 300yards of 70lbsDaiwaSamuraiBraid? (Not looking to spend more than $350 if possible)

Thank you:)

·
138 Posts
Yes, I use my thumb to lay the line down evenly. It's not difficult, but gloves aren't a bad idea with braid. When I first learned, I remember that the spool was just slightly underfilled to provide some leeway.

I can't help you with a left-handed reel, but no doubt someone here can.

·
1,448 Posts
I would look for a used or new Saltiga 30L which is a left handed reel. top notch and not outrageously expensive plus they have very good resale value should you choose to sell it after.

·
223 Posts
Use thumb, but you will have to learn to control it while you have your non-reeling hand on the foregrip. Basically, you will be gripping the foregrip, and as you take in line, nudge the line with your thumb to the right or the left as needed to keep the line level. You will need a glove with braid, not necessary with mono.

You will want to select a "narrow" spool, which makes this a lot easier, although less total line capacity.

You may also wish to consider a Newell 533 which is available left handed. These reels are very easy to learn to cast with (actually, they will outcast any other reel in their class due to their ligthweight graphite spool, all other factors being equal), and for the price, you can't beat them. Probably don't want to fish them much over 20lbs drag. You can fish it stock, or upgrade the drags to Carbontex (from Smoothdrags). You can run the Carbontex drags dry, or grease them with drag grease. Greased drag will be smoother, but will not achieve as much drag, however, will be more than adequate for that level of reel. I would also recommend upgrading the plastic clicker to a metal clicker, you can buy them on Ebay.

·
112 Posts
I would also consider an Avet JX. Mine holds 300yds of 80#PP with a 10' topshot. I have since upgraded to PE8 boat braid. Avets do have a binding issue under high drag. I run mine uaually about 23-25# max and drop it back to strike when the fish stops running to crank the line in. Don't worry a lot about how the line lays on the spool. Just don't allow it to bunch up in one spot or you won't be able to wind all of the line in. Yank and crank and welcome to the sport.

·
3,165 Posts
GLOVES..GLOVES...GLOVES!!, Unless keeping ur fingerprints aren't an issue to u...lol. Have fun Explorer and the more u saltwater fish the more u will learn. Ur on the right track by asking questions on this very informative site! Bunch a great folks on here! Tight lines buddy!..

astro..

·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GLOVES..GLOVES...GLOVES!!, Unless keeping ur fingerprints aren't an issue to u...lol. Have fun Explorer and the more u saltwater fish the more u will learn. Ur on the right track by asking questions on this very informative site! Bunch a great folks on here! Tight lines buddy!..

astro..

Thank you for all the replies. Any particular brand that I should buy? AM I right to assume its the fighting glove that you guys are talking about right?
Bare with me guys, I have more stupid questions coming on different tread/post:eek:

·
490 Posts
on the low end consider mechanics gloves on the high end consider some of the japanese jigging gloves. both work. i have also hear of using batting gloves and racquet ball gloves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts