How do you do your Glow in the Dark lures?

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by Kim, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

What is the procedure that you use that works best? Which products have you had the best results with? Which have you had the worst results with?

2. Kim

Working on my next batch of glow jigs.

20180125_205525.jpg

flyguy and GARRIGA like this.

3. Kim

4. Kim

Technoglow powder came in and this don't make me glow happy, nothing will. 20180129_182656.jpg

With that little free sample bag they sent me, looks kind of like Miami vice material that passed through Chernobyl.

5. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

Powder from ehcglow eBay seller. I'm going to try mixing with Hard as Nails and painting on as suggested by Cabanaboy 20180130_082324.jpg

6. Kim

I'm doing the same except I opted for the green glow because it has the longest luminescence time. My plan was to use clear epoxy, isn't hard as nails a fingernail polish?

7. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Have you tested how long in powder form it glows? Saw the luminance data they provide but no clue how bright is 500 or 180. My thought process is any glow is good as long as it’s actually visible even if faintly.

8. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

It is. I tried mixing in epoxy and applying with paintbrush but it ran and wouldn't stay put.

I opted for blue because I read online it's the most common bioluminescent color in the ocean.

9. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

I just got some glow tape for my non-glow jigs that is allegedly waterproof and used in industrial applications, like glow taping stairwells, etc. Tape has a vinyl feel to it, and seems to stick to the jigs well. Going to see how it works in practice with multiple hooks flying around and toothy stuff. It's pretty cheap overall, so even if it needs to be replaced, I think it's ok. The glow takes less to charge and stays longer than my jigs with glow on them from the factory

10. cudaman

cudaman Senior Member

Just like Cabanaboy said it. Look at the video and the comment on using something like a bearing for shaking the powder in the bottle. Another thing is once you refilled the nail polish bottle use the remainder in the cup to paint your first item.

I used to do this when tying flies back in the day. The nail polish is strong enough that I also used it to finish my flies and had no problem with water but a clear coat will help.

For many years now I use glow in the dark tape. Even on my kayak paddles and have no problems with it coming off.

Tight lines

flyguy likes this.
  11. Kim

20180131_214604.jpg 20180131_214736.jpg 20180127_174908.jpg I started out with the quick and easy method, cans of pray paint; primer, glow paint and clear coat. Prime the lures with a white primer, 6 - 8 coat of glow spray paint, seal the paint with a clear spray polyurethane the results were so so. Telling myself when paying attention to the time involved and the results, spray painting left a lot to be desired.

Round two was sticking with Rustolium glow paint but using it in the 7 oz for dipping the lures. Coat the lure with epoxy to seal the lead, coat of white primer followed by two coats by dipping the lures into the paint and letting dry and sealing with clear spray polyurethane gave much better results. Smooth evenly glowing coats of paint (just have to watch out for the drip, if you don't tip it off it will leave a nipple). Less time involved than the spray paint, smooth paint finish and a better end result. Figure $9.00 for a can of Rustolium glow spray paint and about the same for the 7 oz can.

20180127_174908.jpg

As you can see the spray painted ones don't glow as bright as the dipped ones (center right side of pic). Couple more pics.

I'm almost done with the glow in the dark painting of lures, The last thing I'm going to try is the technoglow powder in clear epoxy. Based on how long and bright the powder glows (much longer than the Rustolium glow paint) this is going to be my go to method henceforth. I'll post up some pics after I get them done. The glow powder is about $9.00 an ounce and I'll have more on ho much powder it takes for a given amount of epoxy.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    cudaman likes this.
  12. Kim

OK finally got back to the glow in the dark lures. For an old guy I seem to stay busy, go figure. I got some of the lures done and they glow so well that G might be sporting wood.

20180212_194512.jpg 20180212_194529.jpg 20180212_200712.jpg 20180212_194610.jpg

I'm pretty sure that last pic gives a good idea about how bright this TechnoGlow powder really does light up. As far as my experiments with glow in the dark products on lures, the TechnoGlow Powder mixed with 5 minute epoxy gave the best results, just don't mix more than you can use before it kicks hard. I think I'm going to order some of the aqua colored powder and try it out just to see if there is a difference in strikes between the green glow and the aqua glow.

20180212_200846.jpg

The bottom two lures are for trolling at night, Black Fin Tuna hit them pretty good and so do the sharks and the YFT every now and then. They are also dynamite on large AJ!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    flyguy and tugasangler like this.
  13. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Those are nice Kim! I think I will try that. Mind posting links to what you used?

14. Kim

TechnoGlow Powder
    https://www.technoglowproducts.com/...-dark-powder-50-microns-1-choice-uv-reactive/

5 minute Clear Epoxy, Locktite
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/Locktite 5 minute epoxy?NCNI-5

With bare lures, I seal them with a dip into clear Urathane, paint with white primer then apply the TechnoGlow powder mixed with the 5 minute epoxy. The ratio of powder to epoxy is about 3 parts epoxy to 1 part powder by weight. Easier to just mix it in until it's pretty thick and then paint it on your lure real fast or you will waste a lot of epoxy and powder.

With smaller lures I have a little mixture left over and have been using it to fill in the eye hollows on some Mojo jig heads (makes them glow bright).

15. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Only Blue Glow lite I owned was taken on the first drop and lost. Blue is visible longer than green so should work deeper, me thinks.

16. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

17. Kim

The Acrylic paints are water soluble so that works for an easy clean up. I tried a couple different brands of acrylic paints and the ones I tried weren't as bright as the TechnoGlow Powder. It looks like the TechnoGlow acrylic paint is pretty bright but II'm not really sure how it would hold up in water or if you have to clear coat it (all of the lure acrylic paints I tried recommend clear coating).

I called TechnoGlow and the guy I talked to said that the acrylic paint can be used in saltwater but it should be clear coat sealed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  18. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

19. byrne edwards

byrne edwards Member

Kim, how do you attach the eye to the top of your deep drop lure?