How do you break down OTI 2 piece rods?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by bluedude, Sep 24, 2009.

1. bluedude

bluedude Senior Member

This seems like a stupid question but I have a tuna sniper and a 7'6" OTI rod that I need to break down for storage. They don't want to separate and the only way to put any real torque on them seems to be grabbing a guide and twisting, which I don't want to do for obvious reasons. What am I missing?

2. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

For now I will say use two people and grab the body of the rod(below the first guide) with a chamois cloth and twist gently(but with plenty of pressure?) if that makes sense. I am working on a solution for this problem but am not ready to publish it just yet! Still prototyping, once finished I will put a few out for people to try!

3. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

I have the same problem.

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Getting the two piece rods stuck is a common problem. It happens to the best of us. When I first got my BD100, I put it together and played with it. A week later I went to break it down to take it fishing. Well, it was stuck. I tried the method of putting an ice pack on the joint and then twisting. Did not work. I also tried to untwist with rubber gloves. Did not work. :mad: So, I put it back on the rack for another date.

A couple of weeks later, I tried to untwist it again. No success. So, I sprayed some WD40 in the joint and left it overnight. Next morning, even using rubber gloves I couldn't get the two pieces apart. :mad: So, the rod being 8'8" in length, sat in the rack stuck together all summer :mad: because I didn't want to haul it in the back of the truck that has a eight foot bed and damage the rod.

One day, I started do some lift test of different rods. I noticed that when I was lifting the weights, I could see a little flex in all the two piece rods I tested. Finally I started thinking. I put the reel back on and ran the lines through the guides and tied on a 10lb weight. I lifted up the weight and that stress opened up the gap and let some air in the joint. I twisted it under the load and it came out with no problem. :) :) :) You could just bend the rod tip down and twist.

You can also undo it with compressed air. Shoot some air in the joint and unscrew the pieces while injecting the air. It works if you have enough air pressure. If you don't have an air compressor with a blower then buy one of those cans of compressed air used for blowing out electronics. It should also work. I would first try bending the rod therefore putting the joint under stress and twist at the same time.

5. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 2 piece butt joint rods as well. I got a stick of Smith Ferrule Wax, applied it evenly on the joint and that ended the problem. I know that does not help you get the rod apart right now, but it will help in the future.

6. jig

jig Senior Member

Pack the joint in ice and let it sit for a half hour. THis cools and contracts everything. Then, get a cup of boiling water. Hold the two pieces and pull/twist hard. While under pressure, have a friend gently pour the hot water on the FEMALE SIDE ONLY! THis will cause that side to expand for just a second while the male side is still cold and contracted. This usually works. Don't get the hot water on the male side or you half to start over.

7. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

I've always used this method. Grip the blank in both hands close to the joint while holding it behind your knees. Bend your knees and push outwards. Bit difficult to explain.

8. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Pack the joint in ice and let it sit for a half hour. THis cools and contracts everything. Then, get a cup of boiling water. Hold the two pieces and pull/twist hard. While under pressure, have a friend gently pour the hot water on the FEMALE SIDE ONLY! THis will cause that side to expand for just a second while the male side is still cold and contracted. This usually works. Don't get the hot water on the male side or you half to start over.

We are talking fishing rods here right?;)

9. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

use ordinary pencil lead to prevent 2 pc rods from sticking.
    any pencil will work...just scribble the lead on to the rod end before assy.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

great tip, steve

try getting someone else as ewll. generally with two hands and twisting you can get it free.

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

My Tuna sniper and Smith rods are looser than you can imagine. Am I missing something here?

Should I add the ferrule wax? I would think that would make it even more "loose"....

:(

12. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I've always used this method. Grip the blank in both hands close to the joint while holding it behind your knees. Bend your knees and push outwards. Bit difficult to explain.

Usually works great. Squat down, place the rod behind your knees horizontal to the floor, reach around your knees and grasp the rod near the joint and put pressure outward with your knees on your arms. you can apply tremendous pressure this way. As Wachtel said, it's a little hard to describe

13. mbg60

mbg60 Member

Ice has always done the trick for me. Give it a while to cool things down before attempting to separate the pieces. The hot water addition is new to me but sounds very logical.

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

just wet the rod before putting it together usally works for me, it keeps them from getting stuck together so hard.

15. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

My Tuna sniper and Smith rods are looser than you can imagine. Am I missing something here?

Should I add the ferrule wax? I would think that would make it even more "loose"....

:(
    the wax will allow to get a deeper/tighter fit. the reason there is a gap or extra male end of rod is for wear. the more you put together and take apart it slowly wears down the graphite. this extra will allow many years of use