How do they do it? What tackle

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Brokejeep, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

I see the large Grouper that are caught on the party boats that weigh up to 300lbs, how do they get them to the boat? what tackle is used to do it?
    Is it all just luck?

2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Here is a reel that can do it if your man enough to hold 100 pounds of drag.......

Avet T-rex

Two Speed Model, Gear Ratio H3.2:1, L1.3:1
    Lever Drag control system.
    100 lb Max Drag on Strike with Free Spool.
    Twin titanium disk on both sides of spool with 4 carbon fiber brake pads.

3-4 times larger drag surface compare to other leading compatible size reels with supper smoothness
    Pre set Drag feature.
    New cast control system only availabe from Avet Reels
    (prevention of backlash and as an line out adjustment for live bait fishing)
    100% precision machined aluminum rigid frame.
    All stainless steel ball bearings and stainless steel components.
    AveDrag dual caliper drag washers with titanium brake disk.
    Handle knob with oversized grip.

Harness lugs.

Proudly designed, machined and assembled in USA.

Technical Data
    Line capacity:
    50lb - 570yd *
    *Note: Line diameter varies by manufacturer.

Weight
    74 oz

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

lots of times its just what you might use for chunking tuna. big heavy stick, big heavy reel and heavy mono tied to a ton of lead and a big bait.

I think you can catch huge grouper on jigs, but not many people give it an honest effort. grouper jigging isnt normally just drop and reel, so you've got to put in your time.

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Probably a little OT, but I'm bored.
    Back in '04, I was on the Gulf Eagle, and watched Tony (deckhand @ the time) haul a 60# AJ from 200' with a 1/2" rope, a huge meathook & a 5# BarJack for bait.
    Talk about a straight-up fight.....

5. jig

jig Senior Member

Once you get the grouper up a little bit, its not hard. I would think you could do it with heavy braid, solid fiberglass rod and a good ol' penn senator. You just need to stop him from getting back home in that first run.

6. jig

jig Senior Member

BTW, The biggest I've seen caught on an overnight trip is around 100#. Gear was simple deep drop as described above.

7. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I've caught 130# warsaw on a 6/0 senator and heavy boat rod. These grouper are usually caught in very deep water and once you move them up through the water column a bit, the fight becomes dead weight. I caught mine in about 950+feet in 1300 ft. of water. Just the cranking alone was about 30-45minutes of some pretty grueling work-out.

8. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Around rigs?

I made a trip with Tomeny's last year, and those guys had just bagged one around 300. Here's their technique:

Big-ass Solid Glass Rod.
    Penn 12/0 Reel
    250 lb braid
    3 to 5 lb lead
    Huge Circle Hook
    Big-ass Bait

Hammer the drag down. Back the boat up to the rig. Put the rod in the holder and make the drop. When you get a bite, drive the boat away from the rig. When you have room, wind.

I fish with another guy that uses a big Kristal. Technique is basically the same, but you don't have to put your beer down.

F

9. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

I kinda figured the boat was needed to pull the fish away from the rig!
    I hooked something on the Scat Cat on the last trip that pulled my feet off the ground before it broke my 130lb.
    I was using a TLD 50 and had the drag up high so it wouldn't get much line.
    I was wondering if I could put on some even bigger line or need to buy a stronger reel with bigger line and matching rod, I don't mind destroying a TLD as long as it's fun doing it!
    My wife ( me too) would like to hook and have a good chance of landing something huge like a grouper and am just wondering what we need to do.

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I kinda figured the boat was needed to pull the fish away from the rig!
    I hooked something on the Scat Cat on the last trip that pulled my feet off the ground before it broke my 130lb.
    I was using a TLD 50 and had the drag up high so it wouldn't get much line.
    I was wondering if I could put on some even bigger line or need to buy a stronger reel with bigger line and matching rod, I don't mind destroying a TLD as long as it's fun doing it!
    My wife ( me too) would like to hook and have a good chance of landing something huge like a grouper and am just wondering what we need to do.
    On a party boat a bent butt is great for this. A live hardtail to the bottom has always worked for me. 200lb line would be ideal. Just leave it in the rod holder with at least 40lbs of drag and start cranking him in in low gear.
    Its not quite like fighting one in a harness on a private boat but its a good way to keep the fish out of the rig.

11. jig

jig Senior Member

I think (just my opinion) that with a lever drag like a TLD50, you still have a max drag that is too low. With a Senator, you can hammer the drag so its pretty much locked.

Also, I have shown some people who think they are fishing heavy drag that they really are not. If you get your drag set tight, and you pull with your hand at the reel, you cannot budge it. So the person thinks it is basically locked. I then attach my scale to the line, hook scale to boat rail, and pull hard until the drag slips. Usually, the drag is not more than 25-30#. People just don't realize how heavy 40-50# of drag really is until you measure it.

And the best think is that to get these results, you don't need but a 6/0 that you can get cheap on ebay. I got my Ocean city for $40, and my buddy's Penn for $45. With a solid glass rod (tidewaters are around $50) heavy braid, the right leader and the rail, you can stop that fish.

12. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

If 50lbs is enough I believe the TLD 50 will do it. I'll just put some 200 lb line on it and give it a try.
    If the consensus is that the TLD wont work then I will get something else.

13. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Hey,

Around rigs?

I made a trip with Tomeny's last year, and those guys had just bagged one around 300. Here's their technique:

Big-ass Solid Glass Rod.
    Penn 12/0 Reel
    250 lb braid
    3 to 5 lb lead
    Huge Circle Hook
    Big-ass Bait

Hammer the drag down. Back the boat up to the rig. Put the rod in the holder and make the drop. When you get a bite, drive the boat away from the rig. When you have room, wind.

I fish with another guy that uses a big Kristal. Technique is basically the same, but you don't have to put your beer down.

F
    frank that was a giant warsaw! also one of my goals this trip with tomeny but i will attempt with a big azz jig.

i will bring a meat stick also but rather do it with a jig and spinner rig. the best way to do it is to not back the boat directly to the rig but upcurrent a ways from it. let your bait get down to the legs without having the bait go through the legs(300-400 feet down the legs base of the legs will be a pretty good ways out). this will allow less of a chance of breakoffs. once hooked, get the boat to help out as much.

14. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Jig and a spinner? I dunno, man. That's whacha call a challenge. Them big groupers is tough on that first run. You just can't let 'em have any line. I never thought about what the heaviest line you could put on a spinning reel would be. You're runnin' them high-end reels, so what can you get, what - maybe 30 - 40 lb of good drag? Call it 130 lb test line? Short, stiff pole. Go for it. I'll be rootin' for ya. You ought to be able to wear them damned jacks out with that rig anyway.

F

15. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

stella 20k with 130 tufline xp loop 2 loop with 25ft 300 lb momoi wind on leader. once hooked up keep the pole straight towards the fish with locked down drag holding the reel and have tomeny haul azz. thats the game plan as of now. something will break whether it be the line, the reel, or my arm. hopefully it will be 200-300 lb warsaws will that breaks. once they come up alittle and inflate should be no problem