how a differential works.. cool video

Discussion in 'Automobiles' started by carlosburitica, Mar 6, 2013.

1. carlosburitica

carlosburitica Senior Member

[video=youtube;K4JhruinbWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=K4JhruinbWc&NR=1[/video]

2. Hsif der

Hsif der Member

..... that's a great illustration.

3. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Wannabe Tuna Fisherman

I am guessing this discovery was made after the first 4 wheeled vehicle screeched like crazy taking turns. And nothing has changed in the basic design in 150 years.

4. t-astragal

t-astragal Senior Member

Modern technology! What are they gonna think of next? Haha! Really demystifies it though.

Steve

5. cactusfishman

cactusfishman Senior Member

6. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Now all we need is one showing how a limited slip diff works & why vehicles fitted with them are rather dangerous in slippery patchy conditions in corners as the vehicle transitions from a rear-end slide in slippery stuff to 100% traction as it hits the dry road again
    2 outcomes if the driver is not FAST with reactions steering into a rear-end slide .
    - spearing off the road on the inside of the corner ................often followed by a rollover .
    - failure to correct significant rear-end slide with sudden traction on exit from the slippery stuff usually leads to a violent rollover

Big wheels , lifted suspensions ...............neither help the 4WD in these situations.

sudden spearing off the road on the inside of a curve is typically unexpected by an uneducated 4WD driver in the quirks of LSD & the vehicle is well & truly out of control.
    It does not need speeding to trigger these effects.
    The better traction of 4WDs has a lot of benefits , but it comes with a disadvantage in the situation cited.

this comes to mind in this thread as there have been 2 inside corner rollovers by acquaintances in the last few months , both right-offs of late model 4WDs, luckily both walked away with only bumps & scratches.

In a thread about diffs.....................IF you have a 4WD with LSD be aware you need to be on your game & ready to react QUICKLY ( very quickly) if you hit a patch of slippery stuff in a corner on an otherwise dry road.
    - water running across the road
    -oil / diesel dropped by trucks etc.

FWIW

7. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

8. TPG

TPG Senior Member

I am guessing this discovery was made after the first 4 wheeled vehicle screeched like crazy taking turns. And nothing has changed in the basic design in 150 years.

Only need 2wd to discover that.
    Few companies have done neat things in improving differentials but the concept is still the same.

9. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

It's a great idea and works well. Until you have to rebuild one; pre-loading and setting the mesh of the gears is an acquired skill set. LOL

10. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

Now all we need is one showing how a limited slip diff works & why vehicles fitted with them are rather dangerous in slippery patchy conditions in corners as the vehicle transitions from a rear-end slide in slippery stuff to 100% traction as it hits the dry road again
    2 outcomes if the driver is not FAST with reactions steering into a rear-end slide .
    - spearing off the road on the inside of the corner ................often followed by a rollover .
    - failure to correct significant rear-end slide with sudden traction on exit from the slippery stuff usually leads to a violent rollover

Big wheels , lifted suspensions ...............neither help the 4WD in these situations.

sudden spearing off the road on the inside of a curve is typically unexpected by an uneducated 4WD driver in the quirks of LSD & the vehicle is well & truly out of control.
    It does not need speeding to trigger these effects.
    The better traction of 4WDs has a lot of benefits , but it comes with a disadvantage in the situation cited.

this comes to mind in this thread as there have been 2 inside corner rollovers by acquaintances in the last few months , both right-offs of late model 4WDs, luckily both walked away with only bumps & scratches.

In a thread about diffs.....................IF you have a 4WD with LSD be aware you need to be on your game & ready to react QUICKLY ( very quickly) if you hit a patch of slippery stuff in a corner on an otherwise dry road.
    - water running across the road
    -oil / diesel dropped by trucks etc.

FWIW

I knew you would be along to complicate a simple idea. LOL

That's why so many modern vehicles now have automatic 4WD systems with electronically controlled transfer cases and differentials. The main purpose is to not lock anything until they need to be. Most of the time when you push the 4WD button it just turns on a light and ignores you.

11. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

That's why so many modern vehicles now have automatic 4WD systems with electronically controlled transfer cases and differentials. The main purpose is to not lock anything until they need to be. Most of the time when you push the 4WD button it just turns on a light and ignores you.

Don't we all wish for a simple life :D
    both cases cited were standard factory 4WD utes with LSD rear & electronic transfer case to 4WD ................neither vehicle was being operated in 4WD mode and were on bitumen road.
    the accident scenario & frequency for vehicles with LSD is sadly quite common, with few drivers aware of the issue .
    Vehicles with a standard diff are a lot more forgiving as the recovery of traction in transition from slippery to dry road is a lot more progressive

12. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

both cases cited were standard factory 4WD utes with LSD rear & electronic transfer case to 4WD ................neither vehicle was being operated in 4WD mode and were on bitumen road.
    the accident scenario & frequency for vehicles with LSD is sadly quite common, with few drivers aware of the issue .
    Vehicles with a standard diff are a lot more forgiving as the recovery of traction in transition from slippery to dry road is a lot more progressive

Been there felt that; I knew what you were talking about. Just poking a sleeping bear...

13. landlocked

landlocked Senior Member

sudden traction recovery happens with motorcycles too :)

Jorge Lorenzo high side - YouTube

14. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

sudden traction recovery happens with motorcycles too :)

Yep..................and a lot less stability too.

the thing with a standard diff is that when the vehicle oversteers in the slippery stuff & then transitions to the dry , just like a bike, the vehicle highsides in the transition.
    But
    in highsiding, the vehicle lifts a wheel & drive is lost to the lifted wheel with lower traction.................so the actual driving traction is very significantly moderated & vehicle response to actual steering roadwheels direction is much, much less forceful.
    The response with an LSD is almost full traction ...................and it depends on which is the driven side of your diff & which is the slip side with how strong the traction is in a highsided suspension in a R/hand or L/hand corner .

15. Paulus

Paulus Senior Member

hi Guys
    The last time i saw a clip like that it was on 8mm film but then maybe it was 16mm. Now that was way back. I think they have added a little to that bit of info, like you guys mentioned limited slip diff, then traction control and now stability control, then we have one corner being pumped up as the load comes on to keep it all level,,, wow, auto breaking, now they find a parking spot and park them selves.

I spent 6 years of study to find, that when i lift the bonnet nowadays, I do not know what in the hell i am looking at, and i need to attach the thing to a computer to find out what it is doing wrong. Just goes to show things change.

The other day the AMG would not start, some one left some thing on,,, won't mention names, so out with the batt cables, now i know this thing has a jump point under the bonnet you hook up to,,, but can I find it, no, but the batt is in the boot i know that, thats ok, now to find the connection point under the bonnet in my 4x4 to hook up to, well no can find that, lifted every thing possible,, no so next best thing is the battery,, now look, i know what a battery is,, six years study i should, and it must have one, all i got to do is find it. Well i looked everywhere and found a lot of spots and hide'y holes that i had no idea existed, but no batt, so I had to give up in the end, it got the better of me and called merc,,, where is the bloody battery in my car i mean really ??, under your ass i got,,, I had the carpets out but needed to shift the seat forward, fancy putting it there.

I have had a lot of grease all the way up to my armpits, well it was not just me, and I spent a lot of time on my back on a trolley under all sorts of these monsters.

You just got to be able to laugh at yourself at times.
    It was all good as a background. Well most of it, not the grease.

Paulus