Hot Rod 9500

Discussion in 'Reels' started by BFTMASTER, Jan 11, 2009.

1. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I have a PENN 9500SS that I bought maybe 10 years ago. I have used this reel for everything from Surf fishing to Tuna. Gear ratio 4.2:1

The bail on this reel has always had trouble closing and the drag is nearing the end of it's life. Is there any rebuild kits to bring it back to life, or should I just scratch the idea and use the funds toward other smoother spinning reel?:confused:

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

10 years of labor, I think it's time to retire her and get a new work horse. I think your initial investment is pretty much used up by now. :)

3. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

No kidding, LOL

That's a long dang time to own and use a reel, that's just impressive. Put er' up and get another one.

4. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Okay I will put her in the trophy cabinet.

Now what kind of spinning reel is good for big game and costs less than $200?

Then what's a new reel without a new rod?

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You seem like a person to really squeeze every bit of blood from your investment, so with that in mind, I would recommend that you get a higher end spinner. You can spend the next 10 yrs making it work off it's debt to ya, but you'll be much happier with a higher end reel than a mediocre one.... just my thought...

6. papio

papio Senior Member

For $200 u could pickup a Spheros or Cabo. Not top of line toys but made for offshore fishing.

7. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

No kidding, LOL

That's a long dang time to own and use a reel, that's just impressive. Put er' up and get another one.

This post made me think about my own arsenal. I'm fairly new here. But I am a long time tackle ho. My arsenal seems to resemble the economy. Lots of gold when it's good and lots of Senators when it's not so good - like right now.

But I do have some reels which are probably dinosaurs, but can still get the job done. I have a Shakespeare 050 Sigma my father bought in 1980 :eek: that I would say is semi-retired, meaning I'll use it on very rare occasions, but works very well.

A 10-yr old 9500 is probably done, but can always be refurbished. There's a million ways to get parts for it. Just figure out for yourself how much you value it.