Hot fishing in mississippi

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by A.whitman, Oct 27, 2009.

1. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

got to get out yesterday. I was by myself so please excuse the pics. water was cold from the river but after i hit blue/green water the temp was 75 degrees! the seas were 2-3's from every direction. it was very sloppy but i didnt have anyone with me who would mind so i went to the fishing grounds anyway.
    Picked up the red snappers easily. no huge ones so i didnt mind throwing them back. I got a nice atlantic sharpnose on a jig. I took a picture for my son who wants very badly to catch one. shortly after i was visited by a pod of cobia. i proceeded to freak out and throw everything at them. the first one hit my jig. he turned out to be just under the 36" size limit so i let him go. the second cobia i hooked on a popper with a live finger mulet on the back hook. I had that popper and rod just incase i came across a school of spawning reds so the popper only had a tail hook and it was barbless. i dont keep the bull reds so why hurt them. anyways, the second bigger cobia got off as i had both fish on at once.
    I kept fishing the wrecks and caught some just under grouper and some more snapper. i was visited by another pod of slightly bigger cobia about an hour later. five or six with the largest about fifty pounds. i tried to get the big one to bite but had to settle for the second biggest. he didnt want to fight for some strange reason. just lounged around and swam with his buddies. so i decided to put the rod in the holder and try to gaff him green.
    first gaff shot bounced off his skull and cut him open. he was pissed and ran deep. at least he used up some strength because the next time i got him to the boat he was much less green. I missed the gaff twice more before getting him in the boat. surprisingly he dint tear shit up like most cobia ive caught do. good for me as i was solo.
    at this time i figured i would head for home with meat in the box. on the way in there was a great rip/color change where the river water met the nice water. It was loaded with bonita!! i took out my fly rod and just couldnt seen to keep up enough for a good cast. I caught a few on my light popping setup and called it a day.
    The cobia are thick out there from their fall migration back to wherever. i hope to go next monday with some one so it wont be such a hassle boating them.
    I caught all of these fish on my lucky jig. It was over a year old and very beaten but it still produced! sadly it was lost to a wreck later that day... [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Nice report, great job!

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Yep looks like a shark to me. Glad you made it out.

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

the cobia should be thick out of destin now also. right?

5. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Great report. thanks for sharing.

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

the cobia should be thick out of destin now also. right?

AW I wouldn't know, I haven't been out in a few weeks. I am still trying to recover from the fact that they have now closed amberjacks as well. We catch about 100 almost every trip. Not monsters but for sure a blast. Ask Freddy and Jason if they think the ajs are thin right now.

7. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

I know they are not even close to thin out there. every rig out of venice is loaded. sad really. i went specifically for cobia. i plan on going monday to see if i can get one on the fly rod.

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

How big are the cobia you are targeting? Remember fresh chargrilled aj sandwiches are awesome.

9. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

30-50 lbs with a few bigger ones in the pods. fresh AJ was a year round treat..

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Still is. Its called fillet and release and then grill for lunch.

11. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

lol.. like snapper sandwiches. i would never.

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

No me neither just make sure you bring some tartar sauce when you come fishing here.