Hot cow bites in lower Baja

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The 10 day trip boats out of San Diego are enjoying one of the best cow bites in terms of quality right now.
    David (wahoodad) had three over 300 lbs on the Intrepid and he lost the biggest yft he's ever seen today as the leader line got chewed by the big tuna.
    If I don't go to Panama next week, I would go on one of 10 day boats. :)
    They might the same body of cow we caught in 2005. If the body show up next year, 400 lbs yft catch is a possibility.
    I go to Hurricane Bank next year, but the boat might go to the lower Baja if there are hot cow bites.

2. feeder

feeder Senior Member

From his post he switched to the backup rig and was ready with a third backup. That's one tough fish to spool two rigs with the amount of pressure Wahoodad places on those fish.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

From his post he switched to the backup rig and was ready with a third backup. That's one tough fish to spool two rigs with the amount of pressure Wahoodad places on those fish.
    I heard he used 90 lbs leader line. I think he couldn't use heavy drag due to light leader line.

4. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I wonder if they might have been having a hard time getting bit. Usually those guys always recommend not dropping below 130lbs which always sounded kind of extreme. Still, he had the fish on for 3 hours which must be heartbreaking when that line went slack.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I wonder if they might have been having a hard time getting bit. Usually those guys always recommend not dropping below 130lbs which always sounded kind of extreme. Still, he had the fish on for 3 hours which must be heartbreaking when that line went slack.
    On the first day, they were frustrated because they couldn't get bite though big cow were jumping around the boat and I guess they succeeded in getting bites by using lighter leader lines next days. when I fished there in 2005, we used 200 lbs leader line without any problem. Tuna are unpredictable. Some guys don't believe line shy of tuna, but I believe it. That is why I always use fluorocarbon leader line for tuna fishing as you never know when they become line shy.

I had a similar situation in 2005 though the cow was not over 300 lbs.
    I fought close to two hours with a big cow estimated 250 lbs. I hooked up the fish on a jig with 8' GUSA Wahoo and Saltiga 80 filled with PE8 lines/130 lbs Japanese mono leader line. While fighting, the handle of Saltiga got frozen. I asked a mate to hold the rod and I cut the line, reconnected with line of my another rod/reel, and resumed fighting. The big tuna finally came up to the surface and mates tried to gaff, but it was a little far. When I guided the fish toward to the boat one more time for gaffing, the line got broken !
    I found later the tuna chewed off the leader line.

6. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Kil - I agree that tuna are leader shy at times. Especially in the GOM. Although at times it seems like they would bite a piece of rope with a shiny piece of foil on the end.

Was the problem with your Saltiga due to the long fight and drag pressure or just a random mechanical failure? I hope not to run into the same issue with mine.

Also how did you cut and reconnect the line with the fish still on without having the fish run off with it? I've heard of others doing this too but never understood how it's done so quickly.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I still don't why the Saliga's handle got frozen. the reel was very hot at that time. Some suggested that ball bearing didn't work due to the heat of the reel. Since then I was looking for lever drag reels for cow jigging as I saw the limitation of star drag reels for cow.

The tuna was settled down at that time and I just needed 10 - 20 second to tie uni to uni knot. I am pretty fast for tying. :)

8. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Maybe the tight tolerances of the Saltiga caused it to bind when the heat expanded various parts of the frame/sideplate. I remember Alantani posting a tutorial about how one of the frames cracked when he greased the screwholes and created hydraulic pressure when he inserted the screws.

Let us know when you find a small lever drag that can handle the true cows though.