Hopper rods

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by north coast, Aug 1, 2009.

1. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Ok, so i'm looking at these hopper rods and can't seem to figure just what I'm looking at.Is the 500gm rod comparable to an OTI 500 gm rod? Does anyone own a hopper and can you give me a comparison to,lets say oti G3 500gm or trevala xxh ?I own each of these rods and would be able to compare then. I'm actualy looking for something that's comparable to a trevala tvs58xxh.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

OTI's jigging rod ratings are limited to 300g, 400g, and 600g. OTI doesn't make a 500g jigging rod... yet :D

3. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

A have a 500g hopper. Its gonna be heavier than any trevala. I love mine but if you get one make sure it has the better guides.

4. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

It's stiff... I don't have an OTI, but I'd say it's stiffer than it.

5. north coast

OTI's jigging rod ratings are limited to 300g, 400g, and 600g. OTI doesn't make a 500g jigging rod... yet :D

Hmm, your right,I just looked. Lure weight 21 oz(600Gm) max drag 30, fighting drag 22lbs. that's a hell of a lot of drag.
    (I Love this rod)
    So, if I wanted a hopper that was comparable to a trevala xxh I'd be looking at maybe a 300 gm rod?
    I'm still trying to get used to rating rods by gram weight lure they will handle.:)
    It was much simpler in the past. 30- 50- 80 -100 was about all you had to know.

6. north coast

Here are the specs on their spinning rods, What I'm trying to figure is, are all companys rating their rods the same?For example, Would this 300- 600 gr.rod be the same as some other manufacturers 600gr rods?

C78-00024 HOPS 165FH 6 6' SPIN 15-40lb 65-200gr
    C78-00025 HOPS 112FH 6 6' SPIN 12-30lb 50-165gr
    C78-00027 HOPS 270FH 58 5'8" SPIN 80-200lb 160-270gr
    C78-00028 HOPS 250FH 66 6'6" SPIN 25-60lb 200-250gr
    C78-00030 HOPS500FH 5'8" SPIN 100-200lb 250-500gr
    C78-00032 HOPS600FH 5'8" Spin 125-250lb 300-600gr

7. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

The 270g 5'8" may be what you are looking for. The 6'6" 250g is a good bit looser.

8. papio

papio Senior Member

The Hopper 270g would be closer to the Trevala. Rods will vary in stiffness depending on make of rod. You trying to compare line/lure weight? Hopper is much beefier than Trevala

9. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have two hoppers they are extremely stiff when jigging and IMO they give too much in the butt section when fighting a fish. The oti would be a much better choice than either the hopper or trevala.

10. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Good question.

I have the Hopper 600g 5'8" conventional jigging rod, also the OTI 600g 5'6" spinning jigging rod. Both rods are very stiff and meant to handle the heavy drag. I also have a custom Hopper 250g 6'6" spinning rod.

The Hopper Rods are very nice rods for the money and price point they target. They serve as a good jigging rod if you are on a tight budget. Like others have said the Hopper is stronger than the Travela rods.

The OTI rods is a very nice step up into the affordable premium level; with great customer service, warranty, and higher quality components. However the conventional jigging rods do not use the PSS reel seat like the Hopper Rod. Personally I prefer the PSS reel seat when jigging with my conventional reels.

Just keep in mind a 600g rod is very stiff and can be a beast to handle. As it was told to me the OTI 600g rods where designed to handle the hard fighting fish like Amber Jacks.

I just ordered an OTI 7'6" 80# popping rod spinning, which I really look forward to using, as well as my custom Hopper 6'6" 250g spinning rod.

The Hopper Rod is a good rod, however the OTI rod is better. And the Travela rod might be better suited as an inshore or near offshore rod.

Of the Hopper and OTI rods; unless you really need a 600g rod for really large fish, then you should consider the Hopper 400g, Hopper 500g or OTI 300g or OTI 400g rods.

Good luck with which ever rod you finally decide to get.

Ty

11. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

IMO they give too much in the butt section when fighting a fish.

Nothing against the OTI but I actually like the give further down the rod. IMO it seems to take pressure off the angler while still having lifting power.

12. north coast

Thanks Guys,
    I think I'm going to try one of these rods. The price certainly is attractive.
    I'll post thoughts when i get it.

13. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Nothing against the OTI but I actually like the give further down the rod. IMO it seems to take pressure off the angler while still having lifting power.
    My problem with it is that it causes the rod to bottom out earlier with the line touching the grip. I am not a big nor strong person by any measure. I have no problem bottoming out my Hopper 600g conventional.

For spinning this doesnt seem to be a problem. Just have to deal with a bend in the grip.

14. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

My problem with it is that it causes the rod to bottom out earlier with the line touching the grip. I am not a big nor strong person by any measure. I have no problem bottoming out my Hopper 600g conventional.

For spinning this doesnt seem to be a problem. Just have to deal with a bend in the grip.

Hmm. I wonder if they are the same guide setup. I dont think I have had an issue with the line getting too close to the grip on mine. Caught this 45lb AJ with it last weekend. Never had an issue with about 20lbs of drag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I don't think 20 lbs of drag is a problem at all. When I fish for ajs I like 25 lbs at strike ina case a good fish hits. That way I can bump to full if I need to and stop him from getting into structure. Plus, if I dont get an AJ to the boat quick I am ussually beat...
    Your first guide looks to be about 4 inches from the foregrip in that first picture. I am going to measure mine tomorrow morning to see where it lies. You can see the cuts in the foregrip from the line on mine. I like the rod for party boats though.Its cheap so if and when it gets damaged, it wont be a huge loss.

16. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

I usually go more on AJs too. That was open water and the biggest fish on that rod.

Just an update. I tied off to the bbq smoker last night and maxed the drag out. Put at least 30lbs of pressure on the rod and the closest I could get the line to the rod was about a 1/2-3/4 inch away. I will say I fight with my fingers on my left hand locked around the bottom of the grip and an open palm to keep my hand away from the line. Does your front tip look like mine? I know there are some out there with cheaper guides that have a diff top guide thats easy to see the diff.

17. north coast

I don't think 20 lbs of drag is a problem at all. When I fish for ajs I like 25 lbs at strike ina case a good fish hits. That way I can bump to full if I need to and stop him from getting into structure. Plus, if I dont get an AJ to the boat quick I am ussually beat...
    Your first guide looks to be about 4 inches from the foregrip in that first picture. I am going to measure mine tomorrow morning to see where it lies. You can see the cuts in the foregrip from the line on mine. I like the rod for party boats though.Its cheap so if and when it gets damaged, it wont be a huge loss.

Hmm, that's not good. I mean the line cutting into the foregrip. I wonder if you could move the guide closer to the reel or replace it with a higher guide to solve this.If your anywhere around Mass. or will be,I could look at it if you'd like. I don't build anymore( unless it's something I need and can't get)I do Repairs now and then for friends though,Pm me if your interested. no charge.

18. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I usually go more on AJs too. That was open water and the biggest fish on that rod.

Just an update. I tied off to the bbq smoker last night and maxed the drag out. Put at least 30lbs of pressure on the rod and the closest I could get the line to the rod was about a 1/2-3/4 inch away. I will say I fight with my fingers on my left hand locked around the bottom of the grip and an open palm to keep my hand away from the line. Does your front tip look like mine? I know there are some out there with cheaper guides that have a diff top guide thats easy to see the diff.
    I forgot to measure the distance before I left this morning. I will do it as soon as I get back home.
    What kind of angle was the rod to the line?
    When mine has touched the grip, it is when a fish is pulling straight down and I am pulling the rod a little past horizontal.

19. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Hmm, that's not good. I mean the line cutting into the foregrip. I wonder if you could move the guide closer to the reel or replace it with a higher guide to solve this.If your anywhere around Mass. or will be,I could look at it if you'd like. I don't build anymore( unless it's something I need and can't get)I do Repairs now and then for friends though,Pm me if your interested. no charge.
    Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it.
    I am in Austin tx.
    I am going to take a look. I am sure a higher guide would help but until I get home and take a look I don't know if it is not just the spacing.

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

North Coast,
    I don't recommend Hooper rod for you as you target big bluefin in Cape Cod Bay. Hooper rod is parabolic and it is very light as the walll is very thin. Someone suggested Hooper rod is heavier than Trevala rod, but it is not. My 500g Hooper rod weighs 12 oz while my XXH Trevala rod weighs 14 oz.

A customer came to my shop today to buy a jigging rod as he broke his 500g yesterday while fighting 65 inch bluefin. It is second time in three weeks the Hooper rod got broken.

Some still concern about lines tough grip or hand when jigging. But it is common problem when you use Japanese jiging rods which usually have thinner diameter of rod. this problem is not issue anymore in Southeast Asia as they know it is common when using Japanese jigging rod with big fish, but it still bother jig fishermen in the US. :)