Hopper Rods

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by first catch, Feb 24, 2009.

1. first catch

first catch Senior Member

Right now I have a Trevala rated for 30-65# line and up to 150g. I'm really looking for a spinning rod with a lot more backbone. Do the Hopper rods have a warranty? and which one should I get if I'm using 50lb line (might go heavier if I can get a different reel than the Spheros 12000 I'm using) while trying to get Ajs out of wrecks? I'll be jigging about 150g and will also be going after grouper and snapper.

2. papio

papio Senior Member

For yanking AJs & Groupers out of structure you might want to get a faster action rod. The Hoppers are great parabolic rods and low cost. If you can spend extra monies the OTI will be a nice fit. Otherwise, look into the Sea Magic Draggon Fly rods, as would make a good alternative to the Hopper. Good luck good fishing.

You should have some warranty on the Hopper. Check with Capt Harry's.

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have 500g hopper and I actually really like it. The only thing I don't like is EVA grips but i'll fix that eventually.
    For the money its a good rod. I got it mainly for party boats as I don't want to buy a $500 rod and have it messed up...

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The 400 gr will do you fine as well.

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

the rods are parabolic? didnt know that

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

the rods are parabolic? didnt know that
    Yup but the heavier wieght rods still have some lifting power in comparison to some others.
    I have caught a few good fish with mine so far and as I said I will only change the grip.

7. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

special K,

Since you dont like the hopper grip would you suggest the X-heat shrink tube on it? Or do you want to totally overhaul the grip? Foregrip right?

8. first catch

first catch Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. I'd definately get the OTI rods if I had the money for them. What about Star jigging rods? anybody have any experience with them?

9. papio

papio Senior Member

I've got the 270g and 600g Hopper Spin rods with upgraded Fuji SIC. Yeah, they're very parabolic and strong. The blanks are very similar to my Tuna Mania rod which was my very first true Japanese jigging rod to which is also my favorite sentimental go to stick. I always take the 600g with me whenever i go out to the pond.

The Hopper blanks are very inexpensive if you want to build a custom rod, just under $50 for a 500g.